What's new

Heavyocity's FORZO: Modern Brass is Now Available!

But good luck with that and just know that the library was targeted to be a bombastic,beast mode, trailer Brass library with no delicate sensibilities. I thought that was obvious in the demos, videos, features packaging etc...

Hmm, I would actually have thought from the fact that they have a dedicated “pp” articulation and the general assessment that it has a rounder, warmer tone than other libraries (as described by @WindcryMusic) then it is by no means a given that it has no delicate sensibilities.

Am I mistaken?

Hmm, I would actually have thought from the fact that they have a dedicated “pp” articulation and the general assessment that it has a rounder, warmer tone than other libraries (as described by @WindcryMusic) then it is by no means a given that it has no delicate sensibilities.

Am I mistaken?

So let me understand. After opening each tutorial video to a blast of the BRAAAM articulation. After listening to each hard hitting Demo, after watching the playthroughs, your impression is that the FORZO can be targeted delicate orchestrations?

I would recommend Cinebrass PRO or even 8dio's Century Brass for more delicate orchestrations. I certainly wouldn't recommend Metropolis Ark or Trailer Brass.

And one patch at pp out of 84 patches for Horns? Yes, I would say you are mistaken. And recording one pp patch vs legato note transitions for a 12 piece ensemble is just not comparable in terms of effort by the developer.

Fortunately the good guys at Heavyocity provide the Manual and Patch lists beforehand. Maybe this can provide a clearer picture of what the intention of the library

https://heavyocity.com/Downloads/FORZO_UserManual.pdf
https://heavyocity.com/Downloads/FORZO_Content_List.pdf

Last edited:
Audio Imperia literally just released a 12 horn product with true legato..

I know, I bought Jaeger which uses the same legato script, and not to disparage Audio Imperia at all, but I don't prefer the legato. Hence my opinion on legato's absence from FORZO.

In addition to the likely hood Heavyocity is going go back to Skywalker Sound Stage with 12 more horn players and other section players, record legato transitions to match the current FORZO sonic characteristics is unrealistic. Then sell it for an expansion price of $99-150?

And based on your comments about price of Talos being too expensive on its announcement thread, I don't think you will go for the expansions.

But hey, maybe I am totally wrong. Its just my opinion.

Last edited:
So let me understand. After opening each tutorial video to a blast of the BRAAAM articulation. After listening to each hard hitting Demo, after watching the playthroughs, your impression is that the FORZO can be targeted delicate orchestrations?

I would recommend Cinebrass PRO or even 8dio's Century Brass for more delicate orchestrations. I certainly wouldn't recommend Metropolis Ark or Trailer Brass.

And one patch at pp out of 84 patches for Horns? Yes, I would say you are mistaken. And recording one pp patch vs legato note transitions for a 12 piece ensemble is just not comparable in terms of effort by the developer.

Fortunately the good guys at Heavyocity provide the Manual and Patch lists beforehand. Maybe this can provide a clearer picture of what the intention of the library

https://heavyocity.com/Downloads/FORZO_UserManual.pdf
https://heavyocity.com/Downloads/FORZO_Content_List.pdf

Jeez relax, you mistake my question for a statement. I have no dog in this race.

You seem to be saying that it has absolutely NO capability to deal with delicate moments. I’ve seen a couple of things that lead me to think that’s not the case. that’s not the same thing as saying it’s DESIGNED for that. CLEARLY that’s not the case.

But again I’m ASKING, not STATING.

I know, I bought Jaeger which uses the same legato script, and not to disparage Audio Imperia at all, but I don't prefer the legato. Hence my opinion on legato's absence from FORZO.

In addition to the likely hood Heavyocity is going go back to Skywalker Sound Stage with 12 more horn players and other section players, record legato transitions to match the current FORZO sonic characteristics is unrealistic. Then sell it for an expansion price of $99-150?

And based on your comments about price of Talos being too expensive on its announcement thread, I don't think you will go for the expansions.

But hey, maybe I am totally wrong. Its just my opinion.

Their pack prices seem to be pretty consistent. I don't see why recording legato for all sections is any different to the extra recordings and content they did for the Novo packs.

Jeez relax, you mistake my question for a statement. I have no dog in this race.

You seem to be saying that it has absolutely NO capability to deal with delicate moments. I’ve seen a couple of things that lead me to think that’s not the case. that’s not the same thing as saying it’s DESIGNED for that. CLEARLY that’s not the case.

But again I’m ASKING, not STATING.

Apologies if I came off aggressive.

The fact that Heavyocity targeted their tutorials and advertising to the main crowd of potential customers who are making trailer music and who want "all BRAAAM, all the time" does not indicate that is all the library can do, or even that this is necessarily what the library is best at. My first-hand observations about Forza (which were referenced above) are that the basic samples have more range than that, and in fact don't have as much built-in "BRAAAM" as do some other libraries, for example. There were also comparisons of Forza to another well-known brass library in which most of the listeners seem to have the same impression.

I'm talking about the Traditional patches here, by the way. With the sound design elements, distortion, etc., one can probably get as much of the loud stuff as one needs.

P.S.: by the way, I also have CineBrass Pro, have compared them head to head, and Forzo can definitely do "quiet" stuff more than CBP can.

Last edited:
The fact that Heavyocity targeted their tutorials and advertising to the main crowd of potential customers who are making trailer music and who want "all BRAAAM, all the time" does not indicate that is all the library can do, or even that this is necessarily what the library is best at. My first-hand observations about Forza (which were referenced above) are that the basic samples have more range than that, and in fact don't have as much built-in "BRAAAM" as do some other libraries, for example. There were also comparisons of Forza to another well-known brass library in which most of the listeners seem to have the same impression.

I'm talking about the Traditional patches here, by the way. With the sound design elements, distortion, etc., one can probably get as much of the loud stuff as one needs.

P.S.: by the way, I also have CineBrass Pro, have compared them head to head, and Forzo can definitely do "quiet" stuff more than CBP can.

OK. Anything can be used for anything. On another thread they are saying FORZO's traditional patches don't have enough range compared to the HWB. Go figure.

And the original comment was about what about Heavyocity's INTENT for the library and whether they were likely to expand the library with Legato. I say they likely won't, but what do I know?

And the original comment was about what about Heavyocity's INTENT for the library and whether they were likely to expand the library with Legato. I say they likely won't, but what do I know?

On that point I agree with you. Both because Heavyocity's rep essentially said that in a thread here already, and because I concur that their main goal here is to provide the sound design aspects where legato wouldn't be a good fit, not just to provide traditional instrument articulations. I guess that is okay with me because I do have other brass libraries with legato, and because I don't think brass lines without legato are quite as noticeable as with, say, strings.

I beg to differ with the assumption that Forzo is geared to trailer music. This opinion seems to eminate from orchestrators... I come from a songwriter perspective and FORZO is amazing for all kinds of traditional sonwriting...a much larger market than orchestrators and trailer writers... any songwriter doing ROCK, emo, country , or literally ALL the other genres would be thrilled with Forzo... its beautiful sounds, extreme flexibility, amazing polyrhythmic capabilities, and sound design awesomness is unparalled. It can be intimate, convey huge amounts of emotion, offers balls assed angst and majestic power...or simply provide a wonderful brass bed... the possibilities are virtually endless.And all of THAT is on top of wonderful base brass sounds.

I have oooodles of brass libs...spent a wad on um...and wouldn't have bought most of them had FORZO existed at the time. It is a true wonder in its own league and greatly expands the usefulness of brass instruments to a much wider spectrum of creators...

I beg to differ with the assumption that Forzo is geared to trailer music. This opinion seems to eminate from orchestrators... I come from a songwriter perspective and FORZO is amazing for all kinds of traditional sonwriting...a much larger market than orchestrators and trailer writers... any songwriter doing ROCK, emo, country , or literally ALL the other genres would be thrilled with Forzo... its beautiful sounds, extreme flexibility, amazing polyrhythmic capabilities, and sound design awesomness is unparalled. It can be intimate, convey huge amounts of emotion, offers balls assed angst and majestic power...or simply provide a wonderful brass bed... the possibilities are virtually endless.And all of THAT is on top of wonderful base brass sounds.

I have oooodles of brass libs...spent a wad on um...and wouldn't have bought most of them had FORZO existed at the time. It is a true wonder in its own league and greatly expands the usefulness of brass instruments to a much wider spectrum of creators...
I'm really glad to hear you say that as I'm downloading it right now.
After saying, nah I don't need this. I just couldn't get away from the sound. It's not so much the sound design capabilities though that is a very nice feature and will no doubt be a ton of fun to work with but instead it is the sound of the base library that really got me in the end. At low dynamics and high. I think I almost prefer its low level brass choral sound to the ear shredding top end. It just sounds gorgeous. This wasn't an easy decision for me (that's not a reflection on Heavyocity so much as on me), but done now and I will see what I think once I get my teeth into it.

I'm really glad to hear you say that as I'm downloading it right now.
After saying, nah I don't need this. I just couldn't get away from the sound. It's not so much the sound design capabilities though that is a very nice feature and will no doubt be a ton of fun to work with but instead it is the sound of the base library that really got me in the end. At low dynamics and high. I think I almost prefer its low level brass choral sound to the ear shredding top end. It just sounds gorgeous. This wasn't an easy decision for me (that's not a reflection on Heavyocity so much as on me), but done now and I will see what I think once I get my teeth into it.
It really is beautifully flexible... Much, much more than just a trailer-esque brass library... At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I think Heavyocity currently has some of the most thoughtful scripting available for Kontakt. Despite its deceptively small size, it gives you a color palette you would think requires two to three times the space...

Frankly, I wish all developers would get on the same Scripting page as them... They tend to do one major version of something, really well, that holds its own for the long haul, unlike developers that keep releasing an annual rehash of basically the same thing they've already done... (I won't name names, but I can think of a few other favorite libraries that could double or triple their potential simply with some thoughtful scripting...)

I can't think of too many other developers that aren't trying to sell you an annual new monolithic version of something you basically already have, as opposed to just putting out one singular all-arounder library with 5-10 year shelf life, and a few substantially price-reduced 'expansion' packs that fill a few more obscure niches...

Last edited:
It really is beautifully flexible... Much, much more than just a trailer-esque brass library... At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, I think Heavyocity currently has some of the most thoughtful scripting available for Kontakt. Despite its deceptively small size, it gives you a color palette you would think requires two to three times the space...

Frankly, I wish all developers would get on the same Scripting page as them... They tend to do one major version of something, really well, that holds its own for the long haul, unlike developers that keep releasing an annual rehash of basically the same thing they've already done... (I won't name names, but I can think of a few other favorite libraries that could double or triple their potential simply with some thoughtful scripting...)

I can't think of too many other developers that aren't trying to sell you an annual new monolithic version of something you basically already have, as opposed to just putting out one singular all-arounder library with 5-10 year shelf life, and a few substantially price-reduced 'expansion' packs that fill a few more obscure niches...

You said a huge amount, jcrosby. and I agree with EVERY word. Perhaps the only company I hold in such high esteem is Spectrasonics...the 2.5 FREE omnisphere update is a blow mind...

I'm rapidly losing interest in new releases from the other go to vendors gushisng about their latest costly REHASH of loads of terabytes already on my drives...even the smaller vendors are rehashing and often merely repackage in a fluffy new gui I have to learn and some are riddled with bugs. Spent SEVERAL thousands of bucks on such libraries this year and even more last year. Selling my farm let me go wilder than normal!

After FORZO I have to laugh at the "new chapter" and "revolutionary" rhetoric of the big boys...how many of these clone libraries do we need??? Then again, WTF do I know...till now I was buying them all! A fellow creator was out visiting this weekend and I honestly said..."wish I could just give half of this crap to you! I ain't really using it"

Heavyocity truly innovates, brings something radically new to the status quo, does it without a lot of huha, and is one of only two companys I respect and immediately take notice when they tease a new offering. FORZO came at a great time...a real contrast to a bunch of other stuff rehashing other stuff...

So glad they exist. Find it laughable this thread has gotten so few responses when compared to some of the rehashers...wierd!

Last edited:
You said a huge amount, jcrosby. and I agree with EVERY word. Perhaps the only company I hold in such high esteem is Spectrasonics...the 2.5 FREE omnisphere update is a blow mind...
Heavyocity truly innovates, brings something radically new to the status quo, does it without a lot of huha, and is one of only two companys I respect and immediately take notice when they tease a new offering. FORZO came at a great time...a real contrast to a bunch of other stuff rehashing other stuff...
So glad they exist. Find it laughable this thread has gotten so few responses when compared to some of the rehashers...wierd!

Without 'dedicated' Brass Lib ( lots of decent others: BO_Inspire 1&2, The Orchestra, Sonokinetics, etc.).
I'm reading you as stating you would choose FORZO today rather than CineBrass COMPLETE Bundle ?

Know better than to ask 'What should I choose?'. If YOU would choose FORZO, instead, then I feel I get the desired response. ;)

Well...never got a link to see what you are creating...ive shared a lot of my focus with you...both publically and privately but still don't have a clue as to what you are striving for...your music, your goals, etc... but for me? As a non orchestrator? No question... FORZO

Most folks here are creating lovely complex orchestral things...they're the modern equivalent of classical music...amazing stuff. NOT my focus, but I've told you that before...

Well...never got a link to see what you are creating...ive shared a lot of my focus with you...both publically and privately but still don't have a clue as to what you are striving for...your music, your goals, etc... but for me? As a non orchestrator? No question... FORZO

Most folks here are creating lovely complex orchestral things...they're the modern equivalent of classical music...amazing stuff. NOT my focus, but I've told you that before...

Mainly trying here to sort 'full' main Brass Lib versus FORZO. You have specific current projects /interests.
I'm focused more on building the best set of top tools that are most likely to meet what projects /interests arise (not commercially/professionally).
FORZO is clearly a most capable and impressive Brass library. My pianist/organist background gives me no sense of what it may not include ….

(edit) sorry, I chose to not mention that I have EDU price approval for CineBrass COMPLETE Bundle ….. which brings it right to FORZO cost.
This is why my narrow focus is on what FORZO may not include when compared.
I have several HO Expansion Packs, and have little doubt about how well FORZO does with its existing content.

Last edited:
Mainly trying here to sort 'full' main Brass Lib versus FORZO. You have specific current projects /interests.
I'm focused more on building the best set of top tools that are most likely to meet what projects /interests arise (not commercially/professionally).
FORZO is clearly a most capable and impressive Brass library. My pianist/organist background gives me no sense of what it may not include ….

(edit) sorry, I chose to not mention that I have EDU price approval for CineBrass COMPLETE Bundle ….. which brings it right to FORZO cost.
This is why my narrow focus is on what FORZO may not include when compared.
I have several HO Expansion Packs, and have little doubt about how well FORZO does with its existing content.

If you want a bread and butter Brass library that can do most of the basics without much in the way of aleotoric or sfx stuff and its a choice between Forzo and CineBrass then I would probably say CineBrass.

Reason is if you wanted to produce quasi-classical stuff, the choice of Brass in Forzo is heavily tilted towards the Low Brass.

If you want to expand your choices, Hollywood Brass is still a good contender.

Forzo is a good library, but better suited to hybrid/trailer and music not trying to be "classical".

If you want a bread and butter Brass library that can do most of the basics without much in the way of aleotoric or sfx stuff and its a choice between Forzo and CineBrass then I would probably say CineBrass.

Reason is if you wanted to produce quasi-classical stuff, the choice of Brass in Forzo is heavily tilted towards the Low Brass.

If you want to expand your choices, Hollywood Brass is still a good contender.

Forzo is a good library, but better suited to hybrid/trailer and music not trying to be "classical".

Always helpful hear alternative perspectives to consolidate lots of fragmented impressions ! :thumbsup:
At this lower ($500) price point, it seems clear that FORZO and CineBrass COMPLETE are both valid additions.
When I add your comments, CineBrass seems better 'today' purchase. My other Brass libraries (Albions/BO_Inspire/The Orch/ Adventure Brass) can help with aleatoric /sfx needs until a bit later.
Truly appreciate ongoing help, as FORZO Intro price ends tonight ….

THX!

Top Bottom