Heavyocity Forzo Modern Brass

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by dhlkid, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Alex Niedt

Alex Niedt Active Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Los Angeles
    The GUI is beautiful, the sound is clear and warm and can get both quiet and loud, and they've improved upon the concept of NOVO. There are lots of articulations, and I love being able to swap them out with the keyswitch slot dropdowns. Having separate ppp sustain patches is really nice. The swells, clusters, braams, and all other extended articulations and FX are fantastic, and of course the designer is really fun to use. Playability-wise, the responsiveness is great, and melodic lines sound good even without dedicated legato patches. If you need a fun, easy-to-use, big-sounding modern brass library, FORZO is a good choice. With that said, I find Heavyocity's pricing quite high, but this $349 intro price as an owner of NOVO feels fairly reasonable.

2. tabulius

tabulius Active Member

This library is a no-brainer for the work I do.

zimm83 likes this.
  3. arcy

arcy Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Italy
    NOVO, SFORZO are unusual libraries. Heavyocity is not for purists. They make giant sounds, deep impact and rhythmic texture.

4. Heavyocity Media

Heavyocity Media Member

Jun 1, 2008
    NYC
    For anyone that would like to check it out - Daniel James is doing a FORZO walkthrough on Twitch right now:

SoNowWhat?, zimm83, Quasar and 2 others like this.
  5. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I don't have NOVO, but do have the less expensive Intimate Textures Pack 01. I wonder if FORZO will have similar, lower cost spinoffs?

I don't have a lot of Heavyocity products, but what I do have (Damage, Vocalise, Ensemble Drums, NP01) is all 1st-rate, and I hold the company's library craftsmanship in high regard, so I tend to trust that whatever they release will be very good, if expensive.

6. zimm83

zimm83 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2017
    France
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD !!!!!

Vastman likes this.
  7. Vastman

Vastman we make the future

Yep... He's and he's just getting into the Brass Designer.... was up all night muckin' with this thing... it is the best orchestral in my big fat bag, by far!!! A Drama queen with super balls... dripping with emotion...

Glad DJ's doing this.... oh wow... Blade Runnerish sounds spewing from my gen's...truly orgasmic!!!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    zimm83 likes this.
  8. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yes, if they didn't offer this discount, I would have passed on Frozo.

I just purchased it, haven't installed it yet, but from watching the various videos of Frozo, I think it is very similar in concept to NOVO Strings, this time Brass, so... a bit more of a sound-design library, or special Brass FX, I think the Traditional Brass patches of Frozo are pretty good sounding, with a lot of presence, and have that large epic sound, I guess when paired with a good reverb, they should sound even better. I rarely use NOVO, but I feel Frozo will get more usage.

9. Vastman

I've purchased many libraries more costly than this and, to me it is by far the best value to date...I would not give it up for all the other brass I've spent gobs on over the years. Dripping with emotion and balls yet exquisite and lovely...as you can see by DJ's 2 hour livestream, it's extremely deep and flexible. And the basic library upon which everything is based is of stellar quality... Something I feel is very important... the GUI is clear and uncluttered... not uncomplicated, but very clean...

As a songwriter dealing with significant issues like climate change, I began my foray into orchestrals looking for emotional laden sounds... that vomited power... Iceni was my first purchase... and after many dozens of libraries later, FORZO goes beyond my wildest dreams... it is godsmackin' dripping with emotion, power, and tension which spans the emotional gamut of tearjerking and rage inducing sounds...it is particularly wonderful as a rhythmic instrument... To me, it's Heavyocity's finest hour... and given Heavy's so many amazing creations, that's quite a milestone...

I feel their engine really captures the power of brass better than anything I've seen... after spending all night mucking with FORZO, I doubt I'll be opening any of the many others I've acquired very often again... I'm not an orchestrator so maybe that's not a perspective that many here can relate to... but as a songwriter, it's a dream come true.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    SoNowWhat?, zimm83 and sostenuto like this.
  10. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    I'm taking all of your post respectfully, seriously, and in context with the long timeframe on which it is based.
    Please understand this seemingly 'repetitious', and very specific question ….. My FORZO cost will be the Intro amount _ $399.
    I have a one-time EDU purchase approval for CineBrass COMPLETE Bundle _ $415. (normally $829.)

I am factoring in your orchestrator /songwriter comment. Can you affirm that you would choose FORZO over CineBrass COMPLETE … at these price points ??

I welcome anything you (or others) might add ………..

( If I purchase, I trust I'll receive FORZO … not Frozo :rolleyes: )

11. Vastman

DJ's FORZO Livestream now up on YouTube...
    Part 1:
    Part 2: Gets into Brass Designer

12. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    THX ! Will clearly know much more in ~ 3 hours and will put in the time and attention.
    One concernis; appreciating FORZO much more, yet not necessarily being able to sort where CineBrass COMPLETE excels and/or falls short.

13. Vastman

Depends on what you do and need... if you're composing orchestrals, that might not make sense...But as you seem to have a lot of Spitfire and bits of others as I recollect from reading your stuff, I think it's a no brainer. No link to your music so I can't really relate to your personal goals and needs...I own most Spitfire and even if I only owned the Albions and SO, that would be enough for me... but also have all the ARKS and more from OT...

For songwriting, and drama... FORZO is by far king of the hill...

You should be able to answer that yourself by firing up your monitors or a great set of headphones and listening to the nearly 3 hours DJ posted on FORZO... the FX are a F'n blowmind in themselves...

zimm83 and sostenuto like this.
  14. MillsMixx

MillsMixx Production Director/Sound Designer

Jan 23, 2015
    Seattle
    I'm downloading this now. It was the NOVO discount that sealed the deal otherwise I might have waited for a half price sale some day. It really looks and sounds great although could anybody tell if the tubas were a bit out of tune in the DJ walkthrough? I thought maybe they were slightly off compared to other samples but it was hard to really tell. Anyone else think that? I'm gonna go back and watch/listen to that part again and soon I will see for myself after it finishes downloading. Very excited about this library either way as it looks like an improvement/step up with even more enhancement in the engine from NOVO.

15. zimm83

zimm83 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2017
    France
    The problem is that it kills my others librairies....but.....so it is....always better and better....

16. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Hope Heavyocity import those engine improvements from FORZO engine back to NOVO.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  17. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    One important factor is do you want just ensemble brass or solo brass instruments as well.. as far as i see there are no solo brass in this library.. and as mentioned no legato brass. So if this is your first brass library these two factors should persuade you more towards Cinebrass.. I have OT Berlin BRASS and VSL Dmension Brass I so FORZO comes as a great complementary.

SoNowWhat?, stprodigy and zimm83 like this.
  18. fiestared

fiestared Vintage -but- not obsolete

Aug 18, 2013
    France

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    zimm83 likes this.
  19. zimm83

zimm83 Senior Member

Jun 23, 2017
    France
    +1

Vastman and Eric G like this.
  20. procreative

procreative Senior Member

Mar 12, 2013
    United Kingdom
    A question to anyone that has bought, downloaded and played with Forzo:

The one articulation that peaked my interest is the Crescendo Bends. Now I notice in the articulation list https://heavyocity.com/Downloads/FORZO_Content_List.pdf that it only appears in the Contra Trombones and Tubas.

However its also listed in the Ensembles. Can anyone clarify if this is only in certain ranges of the keyboard for the Ensembles? I would assume it only appears in the Contra Trombones and Tubas but maybe not as they claim that the Ensembles were recorded together?

I have Symphony Series Brass and they have a Bend articulation but only in Horns.