What's new

Hearing and monitor protection

davidson

Can anyone recommend a piece of kit that I can run before my monitors and headphones to protect against noise bursts? My initial though was a limiter, but surely there's something else that exists thats made for the job?

Long story short, a few years ago I had a couple of episodes with noise bursts from logic reading +700db on the master out. The noise from my monitors was ungodly - they were only BM5s but my god, it woke the whole city. Anyway, ever since I'm super, super cautious and tbh, it's a complete time and creativity killer sitting with one hand on the volume whilst trying out a new plugin or changing settings. Also, I've completely avoided using my headphones with logic ever since, and I miss them.

Anyway, I was just trying out a new plugin and I had a few pops and crackles whilst it made friends with my system, but my anxiety took a hit! I need to get something in place.

Also incase someones going to recommend running a limiter on the master, that doesn't work. Whatever causes the logic/osx noise bursts bypasses everything right to your interface. If you use logic and you've never had it happen, you're lucky. I don't want to worry anyone, but the amount of posts lately with people getting them seems to have ramped up this year. Not a problem if you're using a laptop, but you stick some powerful actives or large headphones in the mix and you've got serious hearing and gear damage potential.

I work in Cubase, but I have the same question. Is there any non-digital solution to this? One time my PC crashed and produced such a noise blast, so I don't necessarily think that this problem is DAW- or OS-specific.

@davidson I’m interested in getting a monitor controller myself. Which one did you buy, and what’s your opinion of it having used it for a few months?
I've been using it for a few years now. It's the Behringer monitor 2 usb, which copies SPLs 2control. Without getting into the ethics of what they've done with the design, I absolutely can't fault the Behringer.

This problem may (or may not) occur outside Logic, in which case no plugin will help. But there are at least two plugins that mute their outputs automatically when triggered by levels over 0db. Trying one of them would be a valuable diagnostic tool.

The free one, which might no longer be available, is Cerberus Audio's Ice9 Automute:

For about $50, there's Nugen's SigMod, which also does a number of other useful things:

A relevant discussion on VI-Control

EDIT: Another relevant thread, updated as recently as today:

Last edited:
Top Bottom