Headphones (again!)

JohnG

this is a fairly whimsical article:

The Best Headphones According to Top Record Producers
6 platinum selling music pros and the headphones they most ardently recommend——from brands like Sennheiser, Audio Technica and (surprise) Apple

By
Rae Witte
Oct. 22, 2019 3:09 pm ET

Sennheiser HD600

Bernie Grundman, mastering engineer on Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’ album: “General consensus among our engineers is that the Sennheiser HD600($400, sennheiser.com) is the least hyped, most accurate and pleasing to listen to, especially with an aftermarket cable and proper amp. It’s not the most expensive pair by a long shot, either. Speakers are nearly always superior to headphones for working with audio, but, the HD600 is my best bet.”

[article continues]

Reactions: Rob

jtnyc

Been using HD600's for years and love them. As a matter of fact I just ordered replacement ear pads for them today. After several years they do flatten down to pancakes. Can't wait for them to feel brand new -

ryans

Been using HD600's for years and love them. As a matter of fact I just ordered replacement ear pads for them today. After several years they do flatten down to pancakes. Can't wait for them to feel brand new -
Not only feel... They sound quite different with flattened pads!

Ryan

KallumS

Where are the BH 770s on this list?

In all seriousness, I find it difficult to take anyone seriously as a producer if they say they mix on $29 Apple EarPods or Beats.

Tim_Wells

Tim Wells
FWIW, I'm seeing the Sennheiser HD600s for around $300 or less at most retailers (rather than the $400 noted above).

artomatic

I compose with my EARS
Anyone using Reference 4 with this or will it defeat its purpose of being "the most accurate" headphones?

OP
JohnG

JohnG

Too bad we can't read the whole article. Any chance for a shameless cut/paste?
The other headphones mentioned: Audio Technica M50xs, Focal Clear, Beats By Dre Pro, beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, and someone also mentioned regular Apple earbuds.

Each set is suggested by pop / contemporary songwriters, rather than score / orchestra / concert writers.

OP
JohnG

JohnG

I still use AKG k701 headphones, though I am not trying to talk anyone into / out of his/her favourite.

A bit like speakers, you have to get accustomed to what headphones reveal and conceal, so you can compensate.

Last edited:

LudovicVDP

AKG K701 here as well. Happy with them.. though I lack some comparaison.
My close to dead HD25 from Seinheiser make it sometimes interesting to compare...

Drundfunk

I have the Audio Technica M50xs which I'm using with my mobile rig. But I have them calibrated by Sonarworks (Reference 4). Wouldn't recommend them without the calibration. The highs are way too sharp and it's unpleasant for the ear to listen to any type of music really. With the calibration it's alright and they sound flat enough. I bought them because they are easy to transport etc., but the sound itself is really bad. They are also not really comfortable when being used a whole day. Obviously that's just my opinion tho.

Studio E

Eric Watkins
I lost a Focal twin earlier this year in the middle of a couple projects, so in a panic, I bought some DT-990s. They are pretty darn nice. Totally not hyped and less mid-forward than my monitors. The sound was great to work with and I used them for hours at a time without them bothering me. In fact, after a while, I'd forget that I was even wearing headphones.

tmhuud

Brown Belt
lol. Just ordered ear replacements myself. Love my 600’s.

It totally makes sense to check a mix/master on nasty Apple earpods since so many people will listen to the final product that way, but you'd have to be insane to use them exclusively. (AKG 701 here too: reassuringly uncomplimentary.)

nas

I have a set of the HD 600's and they are really nice. I actually bought them from Sonarworks and they did a custom profile where they tuned them to a ruler flat response, but I actually found I like the sound and frequency response of these off the shelf so much that I don't use the Sonarworks tuning. They do need a good amp to drive them. I've also paired them with the Chord Mojo converter/headphone amp and it's a great match. MIds and highs are very articulate without being harsh and the transients come through nicely. I would only comment that the bass isn't super deep or a little on the light side , but if its in the mix you'll hear them. It's actually not such a bd thing as the bass doesn't overwhelm the mix or get too boomy and you can hear the upper frequencies more clearly as a result.