What's new

Headphones 300 Euros with much bass and quality sound for mixing-mastering?

SBK

Hey guys,

I like speakers and headphones with lots of bass, and in general I use to make better mixes when hearing lots of bass that I can feel it!

Anyone knows a good headphone pair with strong bass that you can feel it but also be high quality for mixing and mastering?

Would love to hear lots of the sub bass too.

Would appreciate your opinions. Around 300 euros

Thanks

Last edited:
I'll say these with a grain of salt cause you've been here for two years and seem to know what works for you:
It's unwise to get bass boosted cans for mixing, not only because flatter headphones are generally easier to work with for a balanced mix but also cause a boost in any frequency during the mixing stage tends to translate into the song coming out weak on that range. You may mix sth just right only to find normal speakers lack bass.

That said, I've heard a lot of praise for v-moda for deep bass. They have several models, well within your price range & a couple are supported by sonarworks if you want, so you have deep bass and flatness (you get 50% off if you're a student)

Mmmm, i would be careful with basses from headphone, just knowing them, you can use any pair of headphones you like. Also, for bass frecuencies, you can use VU needle meters, since they have a sloooooow reaction, they react very good to bass frecuency, knowing them can help you a lot.

Fecuency responses from headphones its quite a difficult task, i use Sennheiser HD650, they might work well for you. Tons of bass can make you lose what happens in some trouble some areas. Cans like Sennheisers HD600 sounds pretty different and will give you better detail on mid frecuencies.

But in a calibrated studios, low frecuencies sounds and feels really diferent. Subs can help in a controlled room :)

Reactions: nas
If you want to feel bass frequencies with headphones, there is this:

https://eu.subpac.com/

.... It looks like a gimmick.
No, no, no. If you really, really want that strong bass.
Try and find someone who can connect a jackhammer, an arduino and a girdle.
Get the jackhammer to work with the bass frequencies and you're all set to go.
That will surely boost the feeling of a strong bass.
;)
/A

+1 to what @Nao Gam and @Sanlky wrote. If you want to feel bass frequencies with headphones, there is this:

https://eu.subpac.com/

Don't know if it is any good though. It looks like a gimmick.

I've used a subpac ... they are interesting devices. you really do ''feel" the bass and sub in your torso. As such, I understand why some producers in certain genres find them useful.

But, I would urge anyone to try one out before buying... they can be a bit ''un-settling" ;)

Dave

SubPac looks nice, but i dont know how it will work.. i did a master with some atc big monitors, when working, downers, felt like my pressure going down, it was quite a good experience. You cant get that sounding in 5" speakers, or headphones, just pretend its ok and keep working.

Speaking of sub bass, do you guys think hd600 /w sonarworks and an amp has enough sub bass for mixing? That's what I have but I haven't mixed anything yet and won't for a while. There's always the bass boost in the plugin tho

Thanks guys! I did a substractive EQ to the highs of my Audiotechnica ath m50x , added also Reference, and sounds like a dream! No need to spend money :) (I hope)

Last edited:
Speaking of sub bass, do you guys think hd600 /w sonarworks and an amp has enough sub bass for mixing? That's what I have but I haven't mixed anything yet and won't for a while. There's always the bass boost in the plugin tho
I think some hd600 would be a good choice, if you like a bigger low end, go for hd650, bass is more present, and they are a bit more bright, but less mid detailed. I would recommend you some audeze, but they cost a fortune! but its enough hard to get a really nice sound from room well from 100 to 20000hz, just for lvling reference, Headphones will be a way of checkin if you have a nice amount of mass, or you have a lot or its missing, since the only instruments that will be presents are: Basses, maybe a low brass, some low timpani, low toms, hits, you wont have trouble with it, and if you want a big sounding also upper low octaves are important to mix right, any 5" monitor will give you a nice response and some minor accoustic treatment will be effective :)
Other uses of headphones, if you move from a studio to other, accoustics and monitors will never be the same, but the sound of your cans will be 90% the same, just get used to it!
I had very bad experience working with sonarworks, so i would not recommend it, but if its useful to you use it!

I think some hd600 would be a good choice, if you like a bigger low end, go for hd650, bass is more present, and they are a bit more bright, but less mid detailed. I would recommend you some audeze, but they cost a fortune! but its enough hard to get a really nice sound from room well from 100 to 20000hz, just for lvling reference, Headphones will be a way of checkin if you have a nice amount of mass, or you have a lot or its missing, since the only instruments that will be presents are: Basses, maybe a low brass, some low timpani, low toms, hits, you wont have trouble with it, and if you want a big sounding also upper low octaves are important to mix right, any 5" monitor will give you a nice response and some minor accoustic treatment will be effective :)
Other uses of headphones, if you move from a studio to other, accoustics and monitors will never be the same, but the sound of your cans will be 90% the same, just get used to it!
I had very bad experience working with sonarworks, so i would not recommend it, but if its useful to you use it!
Thanks, unfortunately my room acoustics are abyssmal, I have a wardrobe right behind my back and it's a corner plus no way I can put foam on that so no chance of monitors there. That said I believe I can make headphones work

HD 6XX (HD 650) + Sonarwork Reference has made them perfect for listening as well as mixing (for me and yes I love bass)

You can get both headphones and reference under 300

Edit: just read you already have reference, so you can get HD 6XX in $199

I have Reference. But wouldn't recommend it. Some great Beyerdynamics (or equal) with a decent headphone amp are much better. And still, it's not comparable to good speakers. But you'll get closer to that range of speakersound, especially if you have an untreated room.

Edit: just read you already have reference, so you can get HD 6XX in $199

199$ in America, in Europe they cost 300 euros plus shipping
If you buy from America while you live in Europe you get like 80 euros custom fees and 20-30-40 euros shipping

Top Bottom