What's new

Headphone Cables Argh!

The one connected to Voyager 2 is straight, not twisted. (I spoke to the guy in charge of it at JPL after a lecture there a couple of weeks ago, who told me it's 7x the distance to Pluto.)

The spring looking ones work better.
I can't stand the spring ones, I bought one by mistake and had to send them back. First off, the cord is heavy, which tends to put a bit of pressure on one side of your head and ear. And then if you happen to move anywhere that the chord has to stretch it definitely will cause your head to pull sideways.
Also bluetooth ones.
Never tried, is there latency though?

I feel your pain. Also, I dislike wearing headphones in general, especially when I'm tracking guitars or something on the keyboard. They tend to slide down a bit (too tight and they start to hurt with my glasses) and that causes my glasses to slide down as well. Infuriating.

I can't stand the spring ones, I bought one by mistake and had to send them back. First off, the cord is heavy, which tends to put a bit of pressure on one side of your head and ear. And then if you happen to move anywhere that the chord has to stretch it definitely will cause your head to pull sideways.

And they get tangled.

I make my own extension cables out of Mogami or whatever. It doesn't take very long.

Or I should say I *made* them, because it was years ago.

I only use the bluetooth ones to listen to music on my phone or iPad. I don't think the are good enough for audio work. I'm not sure how you would plug them into the interface.

The coiled ones are heavier, it's true. but sometimes it is worth it not to have the tangled mess. And? My expensive Studio headphones' cables don't tangle half as much as the cheap crap earbuds I buy and throw into my purse. Those are a mess most of the time.

I make my own extension cables out of Mogami or whatever. It doesn't take very long.

Or I should say I *made* them, because it was years ago.

I'm not very handy, but perhaps I should look into this and try to learn what's involved with making your own cables.

I bought a fancier Mogami XLR cable with Nuetrik gold etc. a while back because I was getting some weird low-level electrical buzzing, and concluded after websearching that it was likely poor shielding from my cheap cable. Not only did the better cable solve the problem, but it's very easy to manage and not prone to getting tangled.

I'm not very handy, but perhaps I should look into this and try to learn what's involved with making your own cables.

Soldering isn't very difficult, and it's a useful skill. The trick is to get one of these things to hold the wires for you:

I'm sure there are YouTube videos with more detailed instructions than you ever wanted.

Having said that, I spent the entire 1992 Olympics in front of the TV soldering snakes. That was when I decided never to do that again.

But a single cord isn't a big deal.

Having said that, I spent the entire 1992 Olympics in front of the TV soldering snakes. That was when I decided never to do that again.

But a single cord isn't a big deal.

Yeah, It's always a great idea to solder your own cables, then you can really run the exact lengths you need but then 16 to 32 plugs later you wonder whether it was just easier to open a box from Studiospares. I do make my own cables for headphones/Guitar Leads/Snakes too using Van Damme for snakes, Klotz for guitar and speaker cable and Sommer for my DT100 which is worth buying a bunch of spares for. I find if you cable these phones with the thickest cable you can fit in the connecter, you get little or no tangles.

Alexander Graham Bell predicted the creation of personal hearing devices and IEMs over the one size fits all approach from the late 1800’s.

But many consumers (it is consumer tech) still cling to traditions and fear change from the 19th Century designs.
My grandmother still had a desk phone with a long cable she carried out to her knitting chair. For old times sake I wanted to keep the antique but was concerned my offspring might be tempted to return to 1904 Worlds Fair Technology, as it’s vogue to be non tech now, a new trend so to speak.

So perhaps the headphone and curly cable manufacturers might just be in style for those seeking pre war vintage hearing devices that claim everyone hears the same...

Last edited:
Top Bottom