What's new

HBO's Westworld opening credit with my music

Rectobiasi

Hey everyone !

Just wanted to share with you all a short track i composed recently to demo an upcoming Omnisphere soundset, the sound designer will probably announce it soon on the web....Anyway, since the whole cue started to sound like an opening credit or theme for a TV show, i ended up replacing the awesome music theme done by Ramin Djawadi on Westworld, imagining myself scoring for a great TV show that big :)

Here is the link :
I hope you'll enjoy my fun try at it ! Until the day i hopefully have the chance to score something like that :)

Cheers !
Raouf

OP
Rectobiasi

Rectobiasi

And that's the main reason why I liked yours so much better. The original's texture and timbre sounded too much like Game of Thrones.
Thank you again Rodney !! Maybe Ramin didn't have much time to experiment with new textures and timbres as we all know that the deadlines on TV shows are crazy tight right ? But, yeah we'll hear more great and interesting stuff from him as the show goes on i guess :)

M

mac

I'm not going to lie, Ramin completely nailed it with his version, but I still like this. The slightly industrial feel works well for the trailer :thumbsup:

dcoscina

Hey everyone !

Just wanted to share with you all a short track i composed recently to demo an upcoming Omnisphere soundset, the sound designer will probably announce it soon on the web....Anyway, since the whole cue started to sound like an opening credit or theme for a TV show, i ended up replacing the awesome music theme done by Ramin Djawadi on Westworld, imagining myself scoring for a great TV show that big :)

Here is the link :
I hope you'll enjoy my fun try at it ! Until the day i hopefully have the chance to score something like that :)

Cheers !
Raouf
Yeah I like your version much better. I think Ramin is a great composer but I think in some ways, his theme is almost too obvious- the Western guitar.... I like what you did focussing on the artificial nature of the show. Very cool. Love the production value on this track too.

OP
Rectobiasi

Rectobiasi

Really, really good dude.

I prefer this one too. :2thumbs:
I'm not going to lie, Ramin completely nailed it with his version, but I still like this. The slightly industrial feel works well for the trailer :thumbsup:
Yeah I like your version much better. I think Ramin is a great composer but I think in some ways, his theme is almost too obvious- the Western guitar.... I like what you did focussing on the artificial nature of the show. Very cool. Love the production value on this track too.

Thank you so so much for the kind words guys ! Really appreciate your input on the whole thing ! I'm really glad there are people appreciating this fun take :)

OP
Rectobiasi

Rectobiasi

Definitely very nice work :)

But is this legal? Taking someone else's intellectual property, and using it promote yourself?
Thank you Erica! As for the legal matter, the intellectual property here is the visual content (muted video) that i'll never monetize on my channel of course and in which i mentionned the name and info and that it has an unofficial music on it (All the credits). As for promoting myself, honestly this is by no means my intention, HOWEVER if it serves to get me one day a TV show gig then why not ? Stuffs like these have been done many times, especially in the trailer music industry (where i mainly work), so all is cool :)

NoamL

Winter <3
Well... I heard yours before the official version... I like both!

I get what RD is going for with the sound design elements. But also, I think the theme he presented was real simple but also memorable and open to a ton of motivic development... that's what made the GOT theme so great. It was a very strong foundation for him to then build the musical world of the show with all the other themes, many of which (e.g. Lannister theme, Stannis/Melisandre theme) seem to be sneaky variations of the main idea...

I really like your textural elements that build tension and also feel a bit creepy. The intro feels more action-packed and exciting with your score. The snares/claps that came in halfway were perhaps a bit too big?

eidrahmusic

I think this is great! I've been a fan of Djawadi since his Prison Break days and love his GoT theme which is now iconic. I find his Westworld theme, however, quite clunky and a little boring. Your theme is far more interesting and I agree the use of classic instruments as well as the artificial synths used well!

rottoy

Plebeian
I think this is great! I've been a fan of Djawadi since his Prison Break days and love his GoT theme which is now iconic. I find his Westworld theme, however, quite clunky and a little boring. Your theme is far more interesting and I agree the use of classic instruments as well as the artificial synths used well!
While Raouf's piece might be more interesting texturally, I think Djawadi's writing holds stronger, as simple as it is.

rottoy

Plebeian
One thing that bothered me when I watched the first episode of Westworld was the dodgy legato transitions of the bassoon in Djawadi's orchestral rendition of "Paint it Black".
You can listen to it here @ 0-0:16

Is he using some personal sample library or is there really a commercial offering out there that sounds like this?

desert

Just here so I don't get fined
I heard yours first and enjoyed it more than RD's. Your spacial placement was perfect leaving me curious on how you did it so well :) Definitely talented ;)

Top Bottom