What's new

Have you ever Dreamt a composition / Melody which you went on to use ?

Paul Jelfs

Interesting Question, as i find my mind subconsciously comes up with some lovely stuff just at the point before falling asleep; Do i remember it the next day ? Of Course not ?

I think McCartney came up with Yesterday in a Dream (apparently) , and i have had one or 2 come to me that stuck with me next day.

So, yeh , have you ever composed a piece or melody in a dream , and did you go on to use it in a work / piece / demo ?

Never.

There were times where I was in various stages of sleep and dreamt whole arrangements and sections. I actually remember "listening" to them and thinking them over and over again in hopes It'd still be there when I wake up. Some of the stuff was fantastic.

It's always all gone when I'm back in the real world. o_O

But who knows. Maybe it would have been complete nonsense anyway. The mind works differently during sleep. I sometimes get incredible fits of laughter during dreams and think it must be the funniest shit anyone ever heard. I once dreamt about a guy with a name so ridiculous that I couldn't stop laughing my butt off for half an hour. I even got up, stumbled through the dark to get a pen and a piece of paper and wrote the name down as I was convinced that anyone who hears this tommorow will be breaking down with laughter.

Next morning, first thing after waking up, I jump up immediately and rush to the desk to look at this hilarious name, all jittery with joyful expectation.

It said "rtnikut".

So, yeah. The awesome music I dream of is probably in the same league.

I remember composing something rivaling Beethoven's 9th in a dream..of course it disappeared when I awoke.
Maybe in the future there will be a device that can capture your dreams..don't play it back when your girlfriend is around, might get you into trouble!

When that happens it usually involves two or three melodies and some sort of orchestration, and it's awesome, and... too complex (as in "how am I supposed to make this shit work?!") for my skills/time/taste, so it sounds 99% awful/1% awesome.
Sometimes I take that 1% to start a new piece and it sounds good, but I'm always a bit sleepy so who knows, maybe everything I write is like that 99% and I just don't know it yet because I'm still dreaming :whistling:

My recent song "Sick Of It" happened exactly that way. I woke up at 3:00 AM and it was just there, even 85% of the lyrics.

For me composing is definitely a fully awake process for me. I usually wake up with other people's music in my head.

I wrote down a melody that I dreamed once, but I don't think I ever actually used it in a composition. Now I'm wondering if I can find where I wrote it down.

I had a dream and woke up and immediately wrote the top ten hit, ‘I’m sexy and I know it’, only to discover someone else had had the same dream earlier and beat me to it.

Bastards.....

It happened to me once where the music was so loud at the final cadence, it woke me up. I couldn't remember a single note even though as it was playing , I was telling the dream me to remember it. He's a stupid old feckker that dream version of me.

Interesting Question, as i find my mind subconsciously comes up with some lovely stuff just at the point before falling asleep; Do i remember it the next day ? Of Course not ?

I think McCartney came up with Yesterday in a Dream (apparently) , and i have had one or 2 come to me that stuck with me next day.

So, yeh , have you ever composed a piece or melody in a dream , and did you go on to use it in a work / piece / demo ?

Not sure about music, I tend to forget about my dreams. But you remind me that I dreamt of a VR towedefense game this night that I need to write down before I forget again.

Passions like music creation or filming apparently are never part of my dreams at all.
I rather dream about that one or the other girl I dated 2 years ago and such, lol

Top Bottom