What's new

Has the age of the NotaDAW arrived?

Actually the great thing about this new view is that you can adjust the MIDI independently of the notation, e.g you can move a note or notes in time, start point, end point, and duration, and still retain the original notation in the score part of the view:

Okay, I guess it makes sense to have an alternative visual as an aid for the refinement of sound parameters - especially for people who are used to DAW. And it would make sense for the company to expand their market share in the sector.

I had a look through the documentation, but I can't find a way to have the score with the MIDI underneath :confused:
It is not a Dorico thing, but a Mac thing. I wouldn't know if and how this could be done on Windows.

You just open a document, and then open a second window on it by choosing the Window > New Window command. Then, you choose the Write view in one, and the Play view in the other one.

The windows can then be positioned as you like. If you want them to immediately jump to the two halves of the display (either horizontally or vertically), you can use an utility like Tiles.

Paolo

It is not a Dorico thing, but a Mac thing. I wouldn't know if and how this could be done on Windows.

You just open a document, and then open a second window on it by choosing the Window > New Window command. Then, you choose the Write view in one, and the Play view in the other one.

The windows can then be positioned as you like. If you want them to immediately jump to the two halves of the display (either horizontally or vertically), you can use an utility like Tiles.

Paolo
Wow! I didn't know you could do that in Dorico. I used the Windows > New Window command, and it creates a second floating window linked to the first one. There is a snap and a stack facility in Windows 10, but neither does quite the right tiling, but I can live with that until Dorico 4 arrives.
Thanks for the tip Paolo!

@ptram, @Bollen I am still on Dorico Pro 3, waiting for 4 to be released. I had a look through the documentation, but I can't find a way to have the score with the MIDI underneath :confused:
So yeah sorry, I thought it was possible with the Window > Horizontal Split, but it's only possible with the same mode. I see @ptram has already answered this, but just wanted to add that this how I've been using it from the beginning but on Windows. The only difference is that I use it on different screens: one in portrait for the score and another one (normal landscape) for the Play window.

Yes it can be done on Windows - and thank for the tip! Perhaps you know also how to get a Mixer and Transport window positions to be remembered in the document? I have to manually open them every time and move them to another screen, but I'm not sure how to tell Dorico to remember this...

Perhaps you know also how to get a Mixer and Transport window positions to be remembered in the document?
Alas, no. To be true, in my Mac the Mixer window disappear when you switch to a different app, or to a player edit window. If you click in the score, the Mixer magically reappears!

Paolo

The play mode in the Dorico iPad version is actually a lot closer to Cubase than it is the older versions of Dorico, which is very promising. If these enhancements are brought to Dorico 4, and we see more of the Cubase-style shaping tools brought into Dorico 4, it might become possible to compose music that won't be performed outside the Dorico playback without feeling as though you are missing out on Cubase features.

Last edited:
The play mode in the Dorico iPad version is actually a lot closer to Cubase than it is the older versions of Dorico, which is very promising. If these enhancements are brought to Dorico 4, and we see more of the Cubase-style shaping tools brought into Dorico 4, it might become possible to compose even music that won't be performed inside Dorico without feeling as though you are missing out on Cubase features.
Let's hope so... I am still worried that the scrolling will still be screwed up...

The play mode in the Dorico iPad version is actually a lot closer to Cubase than it is the older versions of Dorico, which is very promising. If these enhancements are brought to Dorico 4, and we see more of the Cubase-style shaping tools brought into Dorico 4, it might become possible to compose music that won't be performed outside the Dorico playback without feeling as though you are missing out on Cubase features.
I believe Daniel Spreadbury mentioned that those facilities will be back-ported to Dorico 4 - I tried to find his post again, but there is such a huge volume of posts on the Dorico forum about the iPad version I couldn't locate it again. o_O

Top Bottom