What's new

Has anyone used the "Visual Orchestration 3" course? Is it worth getting?

thevisi0nary

One of the toughest areas for me to get around has been regarding the whole room / reverb / mic position thing, and I came across this course. It would be nice to have a singular resource to digest regarding these topics and would like to know if the course itself is very comprehensive.

From the description it looks to be good. However after going through a couple duds on groove3, I am always a little skeptical on how helpful a tutorial can really be.

https://www.alexanderpublishing.com...-Basic-Virtual-Orchestral-Mix__VisOrch03.aspx

I found Peter Alexander's courses quite helpful, though I haven't purchased this one. Buying one or more brings an added bonus of helping his wife, who is carrying on the business after Peter's untimely passing.

Do read the course content carefully to see if you are using the resources around which this course is built. It is impossible for it to be fully up to date given when it was produced.

The course is great, with tons of examples and some great IRs from Numerical Sound (which alone are worth the price of admission, IMO). You will get a lot out of it, I would say particularly is you are using VSL (I'm on East West primarily, still think it was worth it though).

The only thing I would mention is that during the video lectures he only does the strings. He explains the entire process, and the course has information about the rest of the instruments for the orchestra, of course. But during the video lectures all of the examples and audio files Peter brings up relate to the strings and their positioning. It is understandable, the entire process for the entire orchestra would have taken ages and become quite repetitive, but just thought you should be aware of that.

I found Peter Alexander's courses quite helpful, though I haven't purchased this one. Buying one or more brings an added bonus of helping his wife, who is carrying on the business after Peter's untimely passing.

Do read the course content carefully to see if you are using the resources around which this course is built. It is impossible for it to be fully up to date given when it was produced.

Wow that is really something. I messaged the website a few months ago when the course was unavailable, and someone messaged me back telling me that they would email me when it went back up. That is very sad but very nice of her to continue on with it.

The course is great, with tons of examples and some great IRs from Numerical Sound (which alone are worth the price of admission, IMO). You will get a lot out of it, I would say particularly is you are using VSL (I'm on East West primarily, still think it was worth it though).

The only thing I would mention is that during the video lectures he only does the strings. He explains the entire process, and the course has information about the rest of the instruments for the orchestra, of course. But during the video lectures all of the examples and audio files Peter brings up relate to the strings and their positioning. It is understandable, the entire process for the entire orchestra would have taken ages and become quite repetitive, but just thought you should be aware of that.

Sounds good, honestly some very clear and thorough techniques would be helpful on it's own so Im probably gonna go with it. Thank you.

I thought I remembered that Peter's wife was named Carol, so I checked online and it's Caroline. I exchanged emails with her with her after Peter died, telling her how kind Peter was helping me with some of my initial efforts at DAW and VSL.

I add this to personalize the situation.

I bought $500 worth of materials from Caroline last year because they were having a sale for folks locked down because of the pandemic. Really wonderful stuff-- for instance, his counterpoint book takes the text of Fux and adds approximately 100 pages of explanation and graded exercises designed to build particular skills. I won't live long enough to process all the information in the courses I bought!

Top Bottom