What's new

Hardware MIDI fader / controller recommendations?

Bluemount Score

I‘m for somehow having a hard time finding a (cheap) MIDI controller with just 2 (or more) faders for external CC control.
The E-Piano I use for MIDI recording doesn‘t have a single one. I change all CCs inside the DAW after recording. I thought it‘s finally time to gear up...

Any recommendations?

I have a Korg NanoKontrol, but to be honest, I can't really recommend it. The faders don't have anywhere near enough travel for my liking.

The Studio version is supposed to be a bit better in that regard, I think.

I love my Kenton Control Freak, but it can be tricky to find. A unit pops up on Ebay or Reverb every now and again though.

If you want 100mm faders, the JL Cooper Fadermaster might be an option.

I use their old version (known as palette gear) and aside from a problem that meant the CC data would record some random 0's every now and then, they've been rock solid for 3 or so years. And travelled with me everywhere / been extremely robust. And recent firmware update seems to have fixed the CC problem. Top quality hardware. The new version look much better... I'm considering just grabbing one of the three fader packs myself.

*Edit : They are only 60mm, but feel TONNES better than the korg studio, or faders on various controller synths around the studios here! When in my main studio I have a avid mix which has the last 4 faders set to CC control using BOME. Funnily enough, I'm almost preferring the palette gear faders these days, as eucon keeps giving me grief!

I read somewhere that Behringer can’t do Midi CCs ... unless they updated that. At the time it only controlled DAW functions but unable to record Midi CC.

How does one determine if a controller handles MIDI CC's?

Seems there are quite a lot of them that are DAW controllers, but won't record MIDI CC's.

How does one determine if a controller handles MIDI CC's?

Seems there are quite a lot of them that are DAW controllers, but won't record MIDI CC's.
Thanks for pointing that out, I was sure basically any DAW controller would be able to do so.
If the Beringer doesn‘t, I‘d probably go with the Korg nanoKONTROL

The Faderfox MX12 is probably the best all round option these days. 60MM , 12 faders, but a bit out of your price range.

Built like a tank and used by alot of working musicians. Sometimes if you go too cheap, you will have problems down the line, either with build quality, or sometimes even with Drivers and getting the Midi editors to work properly.

Maybe an Overkill for what you want but soon you will be wanting moooooore faders!

The Faderfox MX12 is probably the best all round option these days. 60MM , 12 faders, but a bit out of your price range.

I've owned one of these and can vouch for its excellent build quality. Great MIDI controller. Ultimately, though, I opted for a Kenton Control Freak due to desk real estate limitations. But you can't go wrong with the MX12 if you have room for it!

Has anyone tried iOS apps? The one I just found today is Ribn and is $3.99, for both iPhone and iPad.

Top Bottom