Hardware Compressor Ringing/ Buzzing

patrick76

So I know jack shit about using a hardware compressor. I just bought one and am trying it out with Cubase 8.5. I am using the RME babyface at the moment. I noticed if I turn up the "hardware outputs" on RME Total Mix FX (the audio from my babyface) to the compressor, at a certain point I will get an obnoxious ringing/buzzing. This is true even if I am not playing any audio. I guess this is confusing me. Why would it make that noise from just turning up the output, even when there is nothing playing and no audio being sent to it? Really appreciate any info. I bought the compressor used so I am now in this place of ignorance and of worry that there might be an issue with the hardware itself. Please enlighten me. Thank you!

OP
patrick76

patrick76

So it turns out my issue had nothing to do with the compressor. I found the answer on Avid Pro Audio Community website after changing DAWs from Cubase to Pro Tools to see if I would have better luck with a different program. I didn't.

The issue was with RME Total Mix FX. I had to change a setting - Options > Reset Mix > Straight Playback. Not sure what happened, but that fixed the issue I was having. Thought I'd post it here just in case anyone else runs across this problem.

FabMrT

I also get this high ringin/buzzing noise sometimes with my babyface. Reason seems to be that RME total mix forget if it's using ADAT or Spdif as and digital out. I just switch it around and the noise disapears.