What's new

Hard drive and laptop dock station in one?

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
I’d like to get a better laptop and do full on daw work like in a desktop workstation but the MacBooks have just like 2 usbc ports and very little hd space (for the price). And the idea of having to lug around a dock station for USB keys, extra monitor input and audio interface plus a couple of hhd and ssd is a little off the whole point of a non desktop solution.

Anyone found some sort of all in one solution to add your own hd drives us have enough ports for those damn USB key dongles and peripherals?

I’d like to get a better laptop and do full on daw work like in a desktop workstation but the MacBooks have just like 2 usbc ports and very little hd space (for the price). And the idea of having to lug around a dock station for USB keys, extra monitor input and audio interface plus a couple of hhd and ssd is a little off the whole point of a non desktop solution.

Anyone found some sort of all in one solution to add your own hd drives us have enough ports for those damn USB key dongles and peripherals?

How many ports are you looking for? There are tons of options? Recently on the lighter side, I’ve found Adam elements USB dock to be very good.

Casa Hub Pro

How many ports are you looking for? There are tons of options? Recently on the lighter side, I’ve found Adam elements USB dock to be very good.

Casa Hub Pro

I haven’t seen a dock and hard drive dock in one solution that has a couple of video outs, at least 5-7 usb.

The one you linked above is just a dock with no hard drive, therefore I have to have another power supply and hard drive.

Something like that hub that you linked but a bigger with capacity to add one or two hard drives is what I’m taking about.

I’ve seen some hard drive docks that have some extra usb ports but it’s like 2 max.

Hello. Have you tried to look for a way out in a software solution? As far as I know, there is an opportunity to get remote access to dongles and any USB devices using usb over ethernet. Software is not cheap, but it gives you the opportunity to unload yourself from extra boxes and gadgets. This is an option.
You can try to connect the USB splitter on your home PC and configure all the dongles and needful Hard Drives. After, use the software to access them.

interesting usb service.

but for what im looking for... seeing that its not available except for one dock i randomly found a while ago and cannot find again, im guessing its just not something poeple want or has too many issues.

the idea is to be a laptop thick dock station thats placed under the laptop, which has the normal ports like hdmi, usb, thunderbolt but also has a couple of hard drives (2.5).
it would make it less portable of course, but still portable. just not go into starbucks to write a script portable :)
like it would fit in a bag. have only one powercord and the thunderbolt connection. and not have to deal with so many peripherals for soemting thats suppose to be portable.
with laptops being made soooooo fukin thin like those MacBook pros. having a dock thats about the same thickness but with a couple of 2.5 drives inside and the ports i thought it would be a common thing. oh well. im guessing theres a reason.

so something like this is what im saying.
(broken link removed)

and the one i cannot find which had an actual 2.5 drive dock on the back.

I used to have a docking station for my work laptop. Stopped working eventually, but was great because you just snapped the laptop in and could leave the monitor, keyboard and mouse all plugged in to the station and take only the laptop when I needed to travel. The ones I saw for home use were about $130 and didn't have drives. But you could easily have drives hooked up to the USB ports, plug in the laptop and everything is good to go.

I was looking to get a Sonnet box when I was using the MacBook...they've since discontinued making it. It was unique in it's ability to house different kinds of drives on TOP of being a typical Thunderbolt hub AND pass through...

I think the need for local storage is becoming quite specialized. All that I see out there now are JUST typical docks.

Top Bottom