What's new

Hans Zimmer's DUNE

Not sure on those bagpipes though.. if that’s what is left of the human musical collective in the distant future then I think I would rather take my chances with the Harkonen. 😂
I haven't seen the film, but in the books there is a strong influence of medieval/renaissance Europe. It's in everything from politics to music instruments played by some characters. For example, there is a string instrument called a baliset which is a descendant from the zither.

I haven't heard the score either so I don't know if the bagpipes fit aesthetically with the film, but they sure fit thematically.

Got my IMAX ticket for opening day, so excited to finally see this film and hear the music on the loudest speakers possible, it’s been a longtime coming and I’m hoping it’ll be worth it

You know, I’ve heard the same sort of comment from people like you for thirty years. If I am so boring and of such little value compared to what my friend Elliot does… I’d love to hear the consistency and innovation of your superior output from the last thirty years. This, after all, is a forum of composers and not critics, so surely you will now post some of your music to show your brilliance…

why do you think that a post-romantic score with traditional instruments wouldn’t be a missed opportunity to let one’s sonic imagination embrace a different time in a galaxy alien to us?

let’s hear what you come up with, in the confines of the pressure of a huge production in the time of Covid. A free-wheeling orchestral romp wasn’t really on the cards during lock-down.

i am surprised I bored you… but maybe you need to widen your gaze a little.
But truly: let’s hear your ideas for this film. if you’re any good, I’ll help you get a big, shiny blockbuster film…I’m all ears For a new voice and someone who can maintain a career for 30 odd years and not getting boring…
-Hz-
I'll never meet you in person but man do I love your music. Your music in INCEPTION & INTERSTELLAR is so breathtaking, when I hear the music it brings me back to a place in my mind where I can find peace and calm; so much emotions run through my soul and I have your music to thank for that Mr. Zimmer

From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU.

The time has finally come. I'm watching Dune in a couple of hours!

Opening day in Mexico, first session of the day, on the biggest screen available in my city.

I did finally get to see it! It's a beautifull movie! I definitely feel that what's been made so far is highly suited for a much larger series of movies. I do like what was done with the music, but I also feel like those who miss classicly orchestrated leit motivs have a point. But for me personally it's more about using that 'old' way of scoring movies as a story-telling device. The Atreides have a very traditional sensability to them. Their perspectives on honor, leadership, etc., they're the same as our understanding of noble behavior would be back in the 80s, which in turn is greatly influenced by British sense of honor and decency from the 17th and 18th century. This can easily be represented by an orchestral style that is reminiscent of that time. It makes the contrast all the greater between them and the other noble houses, and is supported by the diegetic music they use. Finding the equivalent for the sisterhood, the emperor and the Harkonen is a great tool for showing what forces are influencing the events currently on the screen. The sisterhood's music should then be found everywhere, as they have influenced so many of the events in the movie. Without the sisterhood, the fremen would not be who they are. And thus the sisterhood's music should be interwoven with theirs. This allows for a score that is both modern and 'old fashioned', depending on which political forces are being portrayed. You'd usually end up with a blend between multiple styles because multiple factions are influencing the same events.

I'm lucky to have seen Dune four times already since it came out here last month. I've built a bit of a habit of watching the same movie twice in one day (a bit crazy for some, but I usually travel a good distance for cinema so I wanna make it worth it).

With Dune I saw it twice in IMAX (one with Xenon and the other with Laser). Then I saw it in Dolby Cinema and finally on a standard screen. Such an incredible movie.

I just saw it and the score was amelodic and therefore unmemorable and often too loud. The visuals were desaturated and colorized a bit too much for my taste. The baron wasn't fat enough.

The overall impression was very positive, but I really need to watch it again properly on my home theater when it hits HBO Max here in Mexico. The experience at the theater was not great in terms of image quality, sound quality, and... the "audience quality".

I recently re-read the book and since everything was still very fresh in my mind, I kept evaluating the decisions they made in the writing and direction. In retrospect, I think it was a bad idea to do that. I should have waited after watching both movies (if the second gets made).

The soundtrack was very sound design oriented (as we all knew already) and full of subtle details. Because of the crappy sound quality and extremely high volume of the theater I wasn't able to enjoy it as much as it deserved. I will wait to listen to it properly before sharing my opinion.

I agree with others that the bagpipes were a bit out of place :)

The Art and Soul of Dune Album (9 Tracks) by HZ has just been released. It sounds like someone had fun with Paulsstretch or something similar :).

Last edited:
The Art and Soul of Dune Album (9 Tracks) by HZ has just been released. It sounds like someone had fun with Paulsstretch or something similar :).

Damn, it's not available in my country. All the tracks are greyed out.

Watched it on HBO Max through my home theater system (I too don't go the movies anymore, mostly because of rude & inconsiderate people) so I invested a lot of money in home entertainment. I never read the book and only got half way through the original movie as it just felt disjointed to me. This version is no doubt beautifully shot with a score that, well is Hans Zimmerman but, it was just not my cuppa tea. The score fits the movie, no doubt but as others have said, the bagpipes, not sure why, or their context but that's their call. Nice HZ percussion and lots of pads and choir, not a disappointing score at all but nothing special in my view. I'm sure it will make a boatload of money so the next one can be made.

Watched it on HBO Max through my home theater system (I too don't go the movies anymore, mostly because of rude & inconsiderate people) so I invested a lot of money in home entertainment. I never read the book and only got half way through the original movie as it just felt disjointed to me. This version is no doubt beautifully shot with a score that, well is Hans Zimmerman but, it was just not my cuppa tea. The score fits the movie, no doubt but as others have said, the bagpipes, not sure why, or their context but that's their call. Nice HZ percussion and lots of pads and choir, not a disappointing score at all but nothing special in my view. I'm sure it will make a boatload of money so the next one can be made.
Hans Zimmerman! They'll be coming for you now.

I was surprised by the bagpipes, but it did make sense to me as the Atreides are steeped in traditions that greatly resemble old British sensibilities. Such traditions would also be expressed by the instruments they hold onto in their royal and military traditions. The human civilizations of Dune did originate from Earth as we know it, after all.

I have a spell check on my pc and it filled that in, I have no idea why?

No disrespect Mr. Zimmer (I checked it this time) :2thumbs:

Top Bottom