What's new

Hans Zimmer's DUNE

I just heard the score and didn't like it. Just not interesting enough for me and it bored me.

We are apparently supposed to prefer this over a brilliant, freewheelingly imaginative orchestral score by Elliot Goldenthal, who would have been perfect for this.

This score will probably get praised to heaven as is usually the case with these kinds of big Zimmer scores...
You know, I’ve heard the same sort of comment from people like you for thirty years. If I am so boring and of such little value compared to what my friend Elliot does… I’d love to hear the consistency and innovation of your superior output from the last thirty years. This, after all, is a forum of composers and not critics, so surely you will now post some of your music to show your brilliance…

why do you think that a post-romantic score with traditional instruments wouldn’t be a missed opportunity to let one’s sonic imagination embrace a different time in a galaxy alien to us?

let’s hear what you come up with, in the confines of the pressure of a huge production in the time of Covid. A free-wheeling orchestral romp wasn’t really on the cards during lock-down.

i am surprised I bored you… but maybe you need to widen your gaze a little.
But truly: let’s hear your ideas for this film. if you’re any good, I’ll help you get a big, shiny blockbuster film…I’m all ears For a new voice and someone who can maintain a career for 30 odd years and not getting boring…
-Hz-

You know, I’ve heard the same sort of comment from people like you for thirty years. If I am so boring and of such little value compared to what my friend Elliot does… I’d love to hear the consistency and innovation of your superior output from the last thirty years. This, after all, is a forum of composers and not critics, so surely you will now post some of your music to show your brilliance…

why do you think that a post-romantic score with traditional instruments wouldn’t be a missed opportunity to let one’s sonic imagination embrace a different time in a galaxy alien to us?

let’s hear what you come up with, in the confines of the pressure of a huge production in the time of Covid. A free-wheeling orchestral romp wasn’t really on the cards during lock-down.

But truly: let’s hear your ideas for this film. if you’re any good, I’ll help you get a big, shiny blockbuster film…I’m all ears For a new voice and someone who can maintain a career for 30 odd years and not getting boring…
-Hz-
I couldn't imagine dealing with that sorta shit for 30 years. I guess ppl sometimes forget that artists (no matter their station) are still human

When I hear something I don't find interesting, I move on. There's no reason to spread negativity around. Focus your energy on something you love instead. It's not even valid criticism anyway.

But okay, let's take a bland, been done before approach to scoring with a real orchestra because someone here doesn't like Hans' bespoke sound design and atmosphere that is tailor made for Denis Villeneuve's Dune. Maybe, just maybe Hans delivered exactly what the director wanted?

Obviously you don't need to hear this from me @Rctec but your score is anything but boring. You're always blowing us away with new textures, sounds and melodies that leave us wondering: how the hell did he come up with that?

Very interesting soundtrack, maybe I'll watch the film someday. I like the frequent use of the dark chants. I think that Hans Zimmer knows his strengths pretty well and can use them well. If Wagner had started to want to compose like Mozart, he would definitely have been second best (as you can hear in some of his piano pieces). I don't like a lot of current soundtracks because I have the feeling that the composers are trying to be someone they are not. Maybe I'm wrong, but with Hans Zimmer I have the feeling that he knows exactly who he is and what he can do. I like to listen to the result.

-Hz-
Wow… is this really Hans?

That said, what an INCREDIBLE film! Very dense, overwhelming in it's scope and visuality. Villeneuve said this is a film made for cinema, and well, when you watch it, you'll know what he means with that. Absolutely fantastic. I was always a Villeneuve fan, but I would now say he's at the top of my list of favourite contemporary filmmakers!
Maaan, you are hyping me up so much! I'm not even a huge Dune fan, but I'm SO waiting for some new proper epic sci-fi film!!! I'm so fed up of all these half-assed Disney blockbuster flicks and whatnot.

And since I really liked BR2049, my hopes are high. Fck covid, I'm grabbing my mask and can't wait to see Dune in the cinema.

When I hear something I don't find interesting, I move on. There's no reason to spread negativity around. Focus your energy on something you love instead. It's not even valid criticism anyway.
The thing is. If I don't like some band, I just don't listen to it. It's that easy.

But when you love watching films but hate some of the current scoring trends, what can you do other than at least criticise and vent your frustration? Even when you know it most probably won't lead anywhere. No producer or director will say, HEY! This guy is so RIGHT! Forget HZ! He does not know what he's doing! :roflmao:

This hippie "don't hate things, just do something you love" sounds nice and lofty but it also smells of an echo chamber hive mind mentality. If there was no "fck this", there would not even be HZ setting new trends and stuff.

Plus HZ's last concern should be some guys on VI control not liking his stuff. He's already become a legend in his own life-time. If you go over the WaterTower youtube videos of the Dune soundtrack, the vast majority of replies is praising the score to the high heavens.

And if I say bheh, this is no John Williams stuff, everybody including HZ knows it's not. If I say a lot of that soundtrack is a glorified hyped-up-in-the-mixing-stage sound-design, am I wrong? Am I right? Am I criticising? Am I describing? And does anyone beside some nerds here even care? :laugh:
For someone it will be boring as hell, for someone the best soundtrack ever.

All I can say is, HZ is again making a specific high production soundscape for the film he was chosen to score. A soundscape every trailer and hybrid music composer will, again, copy for the next 5-10 years.

Now I just want to fricking finally go and watch this damn huge movie!

This hippie "don't hate things, just do something you love" sounds nice and lofty but it also smells of an echo chamber hive mind mentality. If there was no "fck this", there would not even be HZ setting new trends and stuff.

I don't know all about it, but I think hippies fckd a lot. :thumbsup:

But when you love watching films but hate some of the current scoring trends, what can you do other than at least criticise and vent your frustration? Even when you know it most probably won't lead anywhere. No producer or director will say, HEY! This guy is so RIGHT! Forget HZ! He does not know what he's doing! :roflmao:
I guess I'm a bit strange but in an overwhelming amount of cases I adore soundtracks for TV/movies where I really didn't like the series/film at all. On the other side it's rather hard for me to find one single case where a soundtrack ruined a series/movie for me.

But okay, let's take a bland, been done before approach to scoring with a real orchestra because someone here doesn't like Hans' bespoke sound design and atmosphere that is tailor made for Denis Villeneuve's Dune. Maybe, just maybe Hans delivered exactly what the director wanted?
You know that's a random person's (and we're nearing 8 billion random people on this rock) opinion and anyone can dislike a score, a soundtrack or whatever that the majority maybe adores. They expressed their opinion and that's that. Most likely HZ did what the director needed, otherwise it wouldn't be in the movie, but that doesn't make anyone's personal opinion invalid.

Yup. its Me. The boring German who doesn’t want to write a sci-fi movie with 19th century terrestrial technology and sounds…
Maybe you should have chosen the 8-bit route. I've heard that it has proven to be successful in some occasions :laugh:

Just kidneying. Have a great weekend everyone.

Obama Awards Obama a Medal | Know Your Meme

Yup. its Me. The boring German who doesn’t want to write a sci-fi movie with 19th century terrestrial technology and sounds…
Even a synth can produce a melody, you know...

:grin:

Joking aside, I was listening to the whole DUNE OST Full Album WaterTower video and I must say the Sketchbook pieces are way better. Are they in the finished film or what?

Huge fan of Dune here.
Read the books, watched all adaptations including the incredible documentary about Jodo’s movie project.

As usual, I want to experience the movie first then listen to the music alone (it’s been released last Wednesday here in France).
It always works better for me in that order :)

The first time I came in contact with your music was through "The Rock". The movie has a nice enough yarn to spin, but the soundtrack was what really stood out for me. The mixture of orchestra with a fat Rock'n'Roll feel was really something new to my ears. And of course this was pure inspiration for my brother and me just starting out in the game music world. Since then I have always admired the vision, ideas and dedication you and the team put into the music and of course the punk rock attitude of doing things differently and going against the grain. Just sayin'...

I still listen to Wonder Woman 1984 Sketches. I like the sound of the mix and there are some actual catchy tunes there. :grin: Not just hours of sound design. I'm so backwards, I know...

The thing is. If I don't like some band, I just don't listen to it. It's that easy.

Plus HZ's last concern should be some guys on VI control not liking his stuff. He's already become a legend in his own life-time. If you go over the WaterTower youtube videos of the Dune soundtrack, the vast majority of replies is praising the score to the high heavens.

And if I say bheh, this is no John Williams stuff, everybody including HZ knows it's not. If I say a lot of that soundtrack is a glorified hyped-up-in-the-mixing-stage sound-design, am I wrong? Am I right? Am I criticising? Am I describing? And does anyone beside some nerds here even care? :laugh:
For someone it will be boring as hell, for someone the best soundtrack ever.

All I can say is, HZ is again making a specific high production soundscape for the film he was chosen to score. A soundscape every trailer and hybrid music composer will, again, copy for the next 5-10 years.

Now I just want to fricking finally go and watch this damn huge movie!
I think a lot of people need to find other ways to let out their negative feelings than to constantly hate on artists. I'm not only talking about one person here. There are other platforms out there with many threads full of unnecessary constant hate and whining. Call it a "hippie thing" to want a kinder more positive environment but I think that's the healthy thing to do.

Plus, why is it okay for a random person with no information and no profile pic to give an opinion on a famous artist but when the artist responds, there's always a shock. This isn't a dictatorship. People can say what they want to say but why choose negativity? I've always wondered.

We get it. Some of you guys LOVE John Williams and the likes, and want all films to sound like that - which realistically won't happen because there's only one John Williams. The audiences love what Zimmer makes. The producers, the directors all love what he makes. Otherwise, he wouldn't be hired for all of these movies.

If you have a problem with the industry and you know venting on a forum won't ever change a thing. Then find artists who produce the type of music you like and support them. Lift them up. Find filmmakers who share your sensibilities. If you make music then create the scores you wanna hear. That's how you change things, not by whining on a forum. I'm not directing this at you by the way, but it's tiring to constantly read the same exact comments about the industry nowadays.

This also reminds of comments I've read about Christopher Nolan, and how some people want one of the most talented and creative filmmakers who constantly push the boundaries of cinema with his films to just stop relying on "gimmicks" that gave birth to Memento, Inception, Dunkirk and Tenet, and just make a straight up drama - because that's the only form of filmmaking that should exist.

C'mon, we all know that the music is going to send shivers down our spines when we hear it along with the visuals in the theater, no need to further discuss this IMO. :D

You know that's a random person's (and we're nearing 8 billion random people on this rock) opinion and anyone can dislike a score, a soundtrack or whatever that the majority maybe adores. They expressed their opinion and that's that. Most likely HZ did what the director needed, otherwise it wouldn't be in the movie, but that doesn't make anyone's personal opinion invalid.
"We are apparently supposed to prefer this over a brilliant, freewheelingly imaginative orchestral score by Elliot Goldenthal, who would have been perfect for this."

It sometimes makes it invalid because usually it's directed towards the composer. As if they are the ones who choose the tone and type of music to go with the movie. That's not how it works. Understanding the industry and how films are being made aids in better formed opinions. Otherwise you just end up sounding mean and bitter.

And by the way, the ones who dislike something are a loud minority who dominate the conversation. You don't see fans of Hans Zimmer, Ludwig Goransson, Tom Holkenborg, etc... constantly whine and criticize any orchestral score out there - I'm not saying it doesn't happen but not nearly the same amount.

Call it a "hippie thing" to want a kinder more positive environment but I think that's the healthy thing to do.
I'm not for toxic environment. But I'm not for "don't criticise things" either.

People can say what they want to say but why choose negativity?
Like... dunno, if someone asked for my opinion, I couldn't say like one positive thing about The Last Jedi, it's the worst film I've ever seen. Utter putrid crap. What can I do? Sometimes you think something is just horrible piece of garbage.

We get it. Some of you guys LOVE John Williams and the likes, and want all films to sound like that
Not true.

The audiences love what Zimmer makes. The producers, the directors all love what he makes. Otherwise, he wouldn't be hired for all of these movies.
For sure.

If you have a problem with the industry and you know venting on a forum won't ever change a thing. Then find artists who produce the type of music you like and support them. Lift them up. Find filmmakers who share your sensibilities. If you make music then create the scores you wanna hear. That's how you change things, not by whining on a forum. I'm not directing this at you by the way, but it's tiring to constantly read the same exact comments about the industry nowadays.
Yeah, that will change the current trend for sure... ...how. In no fcking way, that's how.

This also reminds of comments I've read about Christopher Nolan, and how some people want one of the most talented and creative filmmakers who constantly push the boundaries of cinema with his films to just stop relying on "gimmicks" that gave birth to Memento, Inception, Dunkirk and Tenet, and just make a straight up drama - because that's the only form of filmmaking that should exist.
That reminds me I still haven't seen Tenet.

Top Bottom