What's new

Hans Zimmer Strings, a year later...almost

So I just installed the update 1.2.7 and bounced the exact same section. The legato, to me, was a lot more playable and sounds more fluid in the examples... again, spent like 1 min on it cause of the kiddos, but here is the audio example and then I will come back to it when I have time and listen deeper. :)

This is so useful! You're right...there is a difference after the update. Thank you for doing this even though you have two kiddos dying for your attention. :)

This is so useful! You're right...there is a difference after the update. Thank you for doing this even though you have two kiddos dying for your attention. :)

So glad it was helpful for you! If you have any other questions, let me know!

So glad it was helpful for you! If you have any other questions, let me know!
Thank you so much for posting that. Despite all the great things I've heard about the library, I have been hesitant to commit to purchasing it due to that thorny legato issue. Your comparison confirms that they have improved things. I guess it's the 11th hour of their sale, time to make a decision.

Thank you so much for posting that. Despite all the great things I've heard about the library, I have been hesitant to commit to purchasing it due to that thorny legato issue. Your comparison confirms that they have improved things. I guess it's the 11th hour of their sale, time to make a decision.

You are welcome and glad I could help! I'm actually happy there was an update and looking forward to diving in today and see what tweaks were made. Maybe @SpitfireSupport could mention what things were fixed in the 1.2.7 update?

Hi everyone,

Wanted to share a new HZS composition. This time I layered in a little Adagio Solo strings and some Spitfire Chamber Strings. The new update is much much better! Thank you @Spitfire Team!

Thank you for taking the time to listen. Appreciate you all!

I've listened your tracks. Your are very talented. Your production and mastering is awesome. Great dynamic range and sound clarity. Do you have a course you would recommend? I always end up spending way too much time with my production. These bass sounds in your latest track (starting at 1:05), are they from the HZS library? Did you add a sub bass synth to get that sound? Wow, deep, fat and low!

I've listened your tracks. Your are very talented. Your production and mastering is awesome. Great dynamic range and sound clarity. Do you have a course you would recommend? I always end up spending way too much time with my production. These bass sounds in your latest track (starting at 1:05), are they from the HZS library? Did you add a sub bass synth to get that sound? Wow, deep, fat and low!

@DGravel thank you so much for the kind words! Your post made my day. I still have so much more to learn and grow.

I know there are some great courses out there, Mike Verta is one that I have checked out. Jeremy Soule has some great stuff on his Patron site. Waves and UAD have good stuff on mixing. If I could give any advice to anyone, it would be to use your ears and trust your gut instinct. Write something and be honest with yourself if that one spot sounds good or not... if it doesn't, try and fix it or make it better. I mean this both musically and technically. If you are not sure HOW to fix what you are hearing, (guess I would need to know more specifically), then google is your friend. Maybe its "my tracks are too muddy" - google that, you will probably get stuff more related to band recording, but you can apply some of what you learn to your orchestral stuff.... guitars and strings can be similar when it comes to mixing... being a guitarist, thats what I did. I mean, no where have I seen that the UAD LA-2A is great on brass, but when I added it to try it, man does it give the brass some bright snarl and edge. So basically to sum up... ears and instinct, then google is your friend... apply band advice on mixing to orchestral stuff (only cause I found limited mixing tutorials on orchestral stuff over the years, there may be more now) ... you'll be surprised how much it helps. At least it did for me.

In regards to the bass at 1:05, it is HZS, adagio, forzo and cinebrass. The orchestration I have is the 24 string bass, center cellos, solo bass from adagio, tubas and contrabass trombone all playing together, which gives it a nice solid deep fatness.... I think ultimately it's the tubas and bass and cellos playing together that gives it this. Plus the 60 cellos come in at that part, but playing something different, and the 60 cellos just have a nice air to it.

I tend to firehose too much info... so if any of this doesn't make sense or answer your question, we can always chat via Skype or FaceTime, PM me. Always looking to help. We are all musicians together.

-kj

@fish_hoof Is there any documentation for the HZ Strings 1.2.7 update? Googled and doesn't show up. Also checked the Spitfire app but nowhere to be found.
Thanks!

It's actually been on my list of things to track down. I just emailed them and will report back to you when/if I get something. Thanks @artomatic !
This was the response I was given.

'This was mainly focused around improving performance on low end machines, as well as a few looping issues, round robin fixes, etc! There will be a more considerable update with added content coming soon.'

@D Halgren and @artomatic here is what I got from Spitfire. Pretty much in line with what you said D Halgren.

- Fixes transpose box value not updating and setting being limited to -1 or +1
- Fixes combo box visual bug most noticeable on the default preset selection page in Settings
- Optimisation
- User can now set default presets, or not load a preset to start with. (Settings > interface options)
- Bug fixes, lower room rumble, looping issues,

Re the final point, there is a few of these which are specific to certain notes / microphones and I can not list all of them as I do not have access to the exact data.

Looking forward to the big update, hopefully soon :)

@DGravel

If I could give any advice to anyone, it would be to use your ears and trust your gut instinct. Write something and be honest with yourself if that one spot sounds good or not... if it doesn't, try and fix it or make it better. I mean this both musically and technically. If you are not sure HOW to fix what you are hearing, (guess I would need to know more specifically), then google is your friend. ... being a guitarist, thats what I did.

So happy to hear that from someone at your level. I have a similar background where all of my previous experience in composing and mixing was as a guitarist creating and performing band music (pop, rock, funk).

has anyone had a problem with HZStrings not registering key switches? for some reason, it won't change keyswitches at all if I input them by drawing them into my DAW. it only seems to register physical keyboard input...

has anyone had a problem with HZStrings not registering key switches? for some reason, it won't change keyswitches at all if I input them by drawing them into my DAW. it only seems to register physical keyboard input...

Hmmm, I have not. Just to confirm you literally input the midi note with the pen tool, and this does NOT make a key switch, but if you are recording with your keyboard and hit the corresponding key switch key, it DOES make the key switch and record?

Top Bottom