What's new

Hans Zimmer Piano: usefull outside film scoring context?

StillLife

I just stumbled on some rave reviews about Hans Zimmer Piano. The naming of this library has always put me off because I am not an admirer of his music per se as I am not a composer of film music. I am a pianist/songwriter though, who's always on the lookout for great piano sounds, so these reviews grabbed me. Any happy or not so happy HZP-users out here? Love to hear your opinion about its usefulness outside a filmscoring context. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

vms

IMHO HZP is OK for emotional instrumental music
for pop music, I think Ivory would be a better choice

btw, HZP comes with 8 velocity layers, 5RR, whole-tone sampled

rottoy

Plebeian
I've heard that if you want a piano that responds well, run away as far as you can from HZP.
Given that you're a pianist, I'm not sure you would enjoy it very much.

OP
S

StillLife

Thank you both. Not really an endorsement for HZP... the remark about the awful response is completely converse to what the keyboardmag reviewer stated. Confusing. I am preparing to run away from it, but would love to hear some more user experiences before I'll really excellerate...

rottoy

Plebeian
I should restrain my hyperbole, I'm sure HZP is far from the worst when it comes to responsiveness.

But 211gb for a piano library with 8 velocity layers that seems to be
inconsistent (from what I've heard) is a purchase that I would be cautious about.

OP
S

StillLife

I should restrain my hyperbole, I'm sure HZP is far from the worst when it comes to responsiveness.

But 211gb for a piano library with 8 velocity layers that seems to be
inconsistent (from what I've heard) is a purchase that I would be cautious about.
Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking. For that kind of money and storage-room I want to be a little bit more assured that I'll get the pianolibrary to end all pianolibraries. The lack of user endorsements is worrying.

OP
S

StillLife

All the ones in Komplete 10 ult. Alicia Keys and Gentleman, Maverick and Grandeur are my most used, and I've just bought the Simcock Felt that I like very much.
The older piano's in KU (New York grand etc) I never use. Haven't really delved into The Giant.
I also own the Ezkeys Small Upright from Toontrack. It too is nice and has its uses.
And there is a Steinway in EWQLSO silver that I never use.

vms

All the ones in Komplete 10 ult. Alicia Keys and Gentleman, Maverick and Grandeur are my most used, and I've just bought the Simcock Felt that I like very much.
The older piano's in KU (New York grand etc) I never use. Haven't really delved into The Giant.
I also own the Ezkeys Small Upright from Toontrack. It too is nice and has its uses.
And there is a Steinway in EWQLSO silver that I never use.
um....
HZP is brighter than Grandeur
and it is actually not that bad IMHO...just utterly overpriced

For the same money
you can get Production Grand + Chocolate audio Model D
so it really depends on how deep your pocket is...

OP
S

StillLife

um....
HZP is brighter than Grandeur
and it is actually not that bad IMHO...just utterly overpriced

For the same money
you can get Production Grand + Chocolate audio Model D
so it really depends on how deep your pocket is...

Never heard of Production Grand before... seems impressive!

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
Despite its size it only has 12 velocity layers which rather puts me off. Can it really be that good?
The Production Grand was sampled using a Yamaha C7 with a factory fitted Disklavier/MIDI system, which allowed for extremely accurate and even velocity samples, and the mics, signal chain and sampling resolution/ADC are all top spec. Also, there are 12 pedal up, 12 pedal down and 12 release samples (ppp through to sfz) for each of the 88 keys, and the transition between layers is quite seamless. I've never felt I needed more dynamic range when using Production Grand, and the mic perspective options are really flexible. I have no connection with the company at all – just an impressed customer!

Last edited:

Dave Connor

As you can see, there are many regular-sounding pianos for the kind of thing you're looking for (which are generally inferior to the real thing which has been used in Pop/Songwriting for decades.) The HZ piano is very deliberately a cinematic tool so it's usefulness in other applications would be coincidental as opposed to designed.

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
I love the HZP and don't think it's overpriced in the slightest. The sheer number of Mic Positions you have with it make it so versatile. I rarely use any other Piano now I own it.

constaneum

The Production Grand was sampled using a Yamaha C7 with a factory fitted Disklavier/MIDI system, which allowed for extremely accurate and even velocity samples, and the mics, signal chain and sampling resolution/ADC are all top spec. Also, there are 12 pedal up, 12 pedal down and 12 release samples (ppp through to sfz) for each of the 88 keys, and the transition between layers is quite seamless. I've never felt I needed more dynamic range when using Production Grand, and the mic perspective options are really flexible. I have no connection with the company at all – just an impressed customer!

actually, I do own a free copy of Product Grand - Gold Edition. I do have problem getting the mic to generate the piano sound i like. They offer 8 mics (4 for vintage piano and 4 for modern piano) which they mentioned in their video that u can mix various mics from vintage and modern to have your own customised piano sound. Been playing around with the mics but so far I'm still not liking the sound. Anyone manage to get a convincing sound? Curious on your favourite mic settings. Maybe i'm too used to Steinway. LOL

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
actually, I do own a free copy of Product Grand - Gold Edition. I do have problem getting the mic to generate the piano sound i like. They offer 8 mics (4 for vintage piano and 4 for modern piano) which they mentioned in their video that u can mix various mics from vintage and modern to have your own customised piano sound. Been playing around with the mics but so far I'm still not liking the sound. Anyone manage to get a convincing sound? Curious on your favourite mic settings. Maybe i'm too used to Steinway. LOL
I've spent some time trialling different mic combinations and assessing test tracks, and I've had great results with the hammer mics + outside mics, and the inside + outside mics combinations (modern mic sets). I've found I still need some selective EQ, subtle reverb & compression to bring the tone to life though. Happy to PM you some samples if you'd like.

OP
S

StillLife

Thank you all. Many great options to consider.
By the way: I looked at the famous Imperfect Fazioli, but it's not on the Imperfect Samples' website anymore. Anyone know if they're discontinued?

vms

I love the HZP and don't think it's overpriced in the slightest. The sheer number of Mic Positions you have with it make it so versatile. I rarely use any other Piano now I own it.
Having 2 sample libraries is always more versatile than just having 1
Even HZP comes with 16 mic positions, it is still almost impossible to simulate the sound & attack of Ivory Steinway D,
and not to mention that Yamaha C7 & Steinway D sound very different from each other

8 velocity layers + whole-tone sampled + 5RR which created by EQing instead of real recordings
specs-wise, I really think HZP is overpriced

Vastman

we make the future
Mercury is my favorite... But this is such a personal thing... Maybe Fleer will chime in or pm him... A true Piano Slut who has them all... A very helpful fellow. Imagine HZ is one he skipped

Top Bottom