What's new

Hackintosh and updates and parts

ive been using several hackintoshes now (latest one is a ryzon build), and no regrets.

no offense here, but dont mess with bootloader stuff if you dont know what you are doing and you will be fine.

there hasnt been atleast any problem which couldnt be fixed, and all my hackintoshs run stable like a beast.

typing on on an old dell latitude 6230 running mojave ;)

regards

Reading this I'm tempted to give it a shot again on my second computer. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Reading this I'm tempted to give it a shot again on my second computer. Maybe I was just unlucky.

it might take some time to get into the hackintosh stuff, but its worth it. some hardware is more easy to setup and the right components will run out of the box while others might need a bit of work. after all you can install osx on like any machine if you have the knowledge. i just dont recommend ryzen builds for beginners.

i had the same experience. i saw a few videos where they said the process has become much easier and stable in the past few years.

yes, a few years ago it was much more complicated!
now it seems poeple just use the cloverfield or clover somehting and it does a lot of the stuff? right?
ill have to check out more recent videos.

now it seems poeple just use the cloverfield or clover somehting and it does a lot of the stuff? right?
ill have to check out more recent videos.

yes, clover is the most used bootloader today. clover doesnt include everything you need though. you will need some additional files for clover which are needed to boot. those can all be downloaded free.

fakesmc.kext beeing the most important one (or the newly released virtualsmc)

hackintosher is a great page to start for beginner, but so is insanelymac.

i had bad experience using tonymacx86 unibeast tools. its better to build own usb installers.

I have had a Hackintosh running for some months. It worked great until one day I updated something and then it didn't boot at all anymore. Full reinstall required. This time i chose windows again. That's my experience. It's great while it runs, but you'll always have to have a full backup (disk clone) in case something breaks horribly. Because if it breaks it might not be as easy as rebooting and fixing some drivers. If something crucial breaks, you will be left with nothing at all.

Yeah definitely have a clone available. use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your system. Then its as simple as just switching the drive if something breaks.

I have been using a hackintosh for the last 6 years and I’m pretty techy but this is a whole new level. There have been hours spent dealing with hackintosh issues. If there were a book on the subject that would possibly change everything for me in that I might understand it properly. I get the basic concept but when I come up against problems I post online at tonymac86 and prey for a reply. This usually takes a while. When I get a reply it is usually way above my head. I found one guy who kindly explains everything as to a child and it’s great but that is rare.

I am currently updating to High Sierra and after 10+ days I’m ready to give up. I have the machine booting but then I have a weird graph issue and the WiFi won’t work. This is is the page which explains how to fix the WiFi problem. Do you understand this stuff? I sort of do but then don’t get some of it so I can’t fix the issue. On the site I feel completely out of my depth.

If you understand this kind of thing then I would totally recommend a hackintosh. Personally I’m done with it, I’m going to revert back to my backup and I’ll use that machine as my video slave and I’m switching to windows with Cubase. And BTW making a clone on a hackintosh is NOT as simple as on a Mac, there are a few more steps involved. You need to install the boot loader afterwards.

I hope that helps.

I have been using a hackintosh for the last 6 years and I’m pretty techy but this is a whole new level. There have been hours spent dealing with hackintosh issues. If there were a book on the subject that would possibly change everything for me in that I might understand it properly. I get the basic concept but when I come up against problems I post online at tonymac86 and prey for a reply. This usually takes a while. When I get a reply it is usually way above my head. I found one guy who kindly explains everything as to a child and it’s great but that is rare.

I am currently updating to High Sierra and after 10+ days I’m ready to give up. I have the machine booting but then I have a weird graph issue and the WiFi won’t work. This is is the page which explains how to fix the WiFi problem. Do you understand this stuff? I sort of do but then don’t get some of it so I can’t fix the issue. On the site I feel completely out of my depth.

If you understand this kind of thing then I would totally recommend a hackintosh. Personally I’m done with it, I’m going to revert back to my backup and I’ll use that machine as my video slave and I’m switching to windows with Cubase. And BTW making a clone on a hackintosh is NOT as simple as on a Mac, there are a few more steps involved. You need to install the boot loader afterwards.

I hope that helps.

Very helpful. Most people don't hear about this side of building computers.

Yeah definitely have a clone available. use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your system. Then its as simple as just switching the drive if something breaks.

if im not mistaken native instruments and a few others companies tie the serial to a specirfic hard drive. im sure its not hard to redo the authorization though.

I hope that helps.

yep, those are examples of the stuff im worried about. logic and plugins is normally an issue as the os vs versions varies so much but simple things like ethernet, wifi and video card etc are also a concern if they dont work. i coudnt work without internet in the same computer so hackingtosh automaticallty wont do.

btw- when i read those sort of fixes my 1st thought is to go and buy another wifi card or whatever. something that someone else didnt have a problem. so basically throw money at the probelm.

I recently retired my hackintosh that I built 10 years ago and will never go that route again... here is the experience

1. I built a hackintosh the first time because I had a new PC sitting in my house and I was recovering from back surgery and needed something to do with myself while I was couped up in the house for a month. I also wanted to try out OS X, I had been on windows for quite a while prior, though I had used older versions of MacOs in the past.
  2. I was lucky that my particularly motherboard at the time had users who had done it, but I had to do a lot of hunting around the net to find solutions to issues about how to set it up for hackintosh, and it literally took the better part of that month to do it. So first impression, my time is worth way more than that.
  3. At first I was happy because I had this machine which I could overclock and it was basically faster then any Mac mini at that time, and as fast as some smaller macPros, for a fraction of the price.
  4. I used it for everything, it worked completely well, I never really ran into any issues except occasionally something weird about power-saving modes of OS X. I ended up buying DP and later Logic and ran them just fine, including all plugins and everything, for quite a while. But I fell in love with OS X, so my next purchase was an actual MacBookPro.
  5. Eventually it started getting hard to keep up with OS X updates and eventually I was unable to upgrade it past Mavericks.
  6. Eventually I bought a used 2010 MacPro, which cost about the same as it cost me to build that hackintosh...and let's just say I should have done that years ago. Though, the cost of the used macPro was only that low because the computer is older...but at 12 cores x3.33 ghz, its plenty fast for me and today in 2018 that is what I would heartily recommend!
  7. My hackintosh then needed a purpose so I made it an OS X server for a while, running Mavericks, it worked as a time machine backup server more than anything else. I was unable to upgrade it past Maveriks though and i wasted a LOT of time trying to do so. How much is your time worth?
  8. Recently i upgraded that machine to windows10 and it works flawlessly as a server and now I can use it with VEP also to host win32 plugins and such, so its still not wasted...but anyway...
  9. Dealing with hackintosh stuff is way easier now compared to 10 years ago, due to tonymac and other resources. They can direct you to the best hardware to get easy installs. there is no guarantee though that some update from Apple won't cause it to go FUBAR, so eventually you should expect to have to tinker and spend a lot of time tinkering with it and without any deadlines stressing you out. Otherwise, don't do it.

Top Bottom