What's new

What Can Hexeract Do that Other Synths Can't? - Part 2

One thing that just came to my mind which might be another reason (apart from the missing tag): I have updated (latest fix) Hexeract in between saving this preset and now opening the project again.

I agree that we need to add a quick and dirty way of saving a new preset, but I need to think about a solution that works with the current three level hierarchy system (bank / category / preset).

The hotfix update should not cause anything weird here, all it did was removing the startup log and fixing some UI lagging issues that appeared with multiple plugin instances.

From your POV, is some sort of Demo /Trial version a truly difficult thing to offer ?
I have seen many successful approaches from: Plugin Alliance 14-days, to Pianoteq 6 (crippled content), various NI_ offerings.

I have no clue how much time and effort may be involved, but the ability to use this type of software on one's own system(s) can be very helpful in purchase decision.

sostenuto: I definitely agree, I am trying it now since a year after buying it as soon as it was possible, this is such a beast, I still love it and I hate it (as you can see on my comments :) ), there is so much to explore and to ask yourself: it is UNIQUE. It is INCREDIBLE. BUT: is it for ME ?

I will be honest: if I am not that dumb on this fundamental synth knowledge (and lazy....) I am sure I would love it.

But its me as I am so thats the point. I still have no final judgement (not sure if I ever will), today I realized (while searching for my "lost" preset) how much you can do with only adepting the existing presets (sequenced !) and just choose the sounds you like for it. So you wont have to worry about the complicated things, its more like they have build SCENES for your imagination, fill it with the sounds YOU imagine.

You cant make a decision on this without a demo, absolutely agree. But only thing I can imagine (cause you just cant criple this complex thing in anyway that makes sense in my opinion) would be a time limited demo (14 days for example). Dont know how complicated this would be to realize for Auddict.

sostenuto: I definitely agree, I am trying it now since a year after buying it as soon as it was possible, this is such a beast, I still love it and I hate it (as you can see on my comments :) ), there is so much to explore and to ask yourself: it is UNIQUE. It is INCREDIBLE. BUT: is it for ME ?
******* would be a time limited demo (14 days for example). Dont know how complicated this would be to realize for Auddict.

Hey Karl ! Cool Reply, and I have followed your posts throughout.
The promo cost of HEXERACT is really low, and this is not my concern.
With all software I purchase, it will take my personal time, talent, and effort to learn how it works, how to use it properly, and to my advantage.
So far, the fine videos have not made me comfortable with how HEXERACT will add /enhance what I already know and use.

Your enthusiastic and persistent Posts continue to help my decision. THX! :thumbsup:

If anyone has any particular type of sound they want to see made in Hexeract in a patch building video, let me know! Feel free to post track examples/references ;)

With the pitch glide, is there any way to calibrate this to a Linnstrument or Seaboard? The default MPE patches are set to an intensity of 12st but a Seaboard hits this point at a half octave - 6.5st is closer to parity between the glide along the bottom or top and the notes themselves. On a Linnstrument, I can't find a setting that makes sense using any of the bend-range settings on the controller itself and in Hexeract other than 12st on the Linnstrument and an intensity of 3.25st in Hexeract, which obviously seriously limits the effective range.

The MPE controls and curves seem good otherwise. Accessing the curves isn't very intuitive, however. It took a while to realise that clicking on the little curve icons does nothing - you have to click on the name of the control to highlight it which brings up the curves controls at the bottom. Maybe it should be picking the first row as default and displaying that when opening the MPE window but doesn't?

Last edited:
I've just tested it on my Seaboard BLOCK, but I know that some devices use different pitch-bend ranges. Did you play around with the ROLI Dashboard Settings? AFAIK you can change the pitchbend-range there.

I agree on the clickability of the small curve icon (won't justify a update on it's own but I'll add it to the TODO list for the next smaller update).

I've just tested it on my Seaboard BLOCK, but I know that some devices use different pitch-bend ranges. Did you play around with the ROLI Dashboard Settings? AFAIK you can change the pitchbend-range there.

I agree on the clickability of the small curve icon (won't justify a update on it's own but I'll add it to the TODO list for the next smaller update).

I had mine set up for greater compatibility with the Linnstrument. At 48st, the Seaboard works. But the response with the Linnstrument remains plain odd. For some reason 24st mode has the same behaviour as 2st (so you only need to move a couple notes either side to go a full octave - 12st provides greater resolution). There is no 48st mode on a Linnstrument unless it's turned up on a recent update.

EDIT: Apparently a dive into the settings will let a Linnstrument go to 48st. However, I think you want to consider putting controls for pitch-glide range into Hexeract. Equator does this, for example, for use with things that aren't Seaboards. And Apple has it in the Logic MPE instruments.

EDIT 2: I think I may have tracked down the reason for the odd behaviour on the Linnstrument at 24st - a setting got changed without me realising on the controller.

Last edited:
When Hexeract was released at the tail end of Black Friday last year, at first I was like, "Oh boy, yet ANOTHER, synth, aiming to be the cinematic, ambient, and soundscape solution"

Then I watched the product release video and I was sold, especially since the soundtrack featured 100% Hexeract, no added content, just a demo featuring the presets.

A bunch of us jumped on the intro pricing and immediately gave feedback. It was a pleasure to help offer suggestions and to Auddict's and Chrisboy's credit, they listened!

I bought this thinking as an alternative to the sound palette that synths like "Omnisphere" "Zebra", "Diva" offer. Mostly everyone and their brother has one of those 3, (except for me, I currently do not own any of them yet, LOL) why not give this a try and offer something new sonically?

Certain things give each respective synth its defining, characteristic sound. With Hexeract, IMHO, it is the quality of the samples, combined with the overall tonal shaping of it's filters and audio output parameters. There's a certain....for lack of a better term, sheen, the synth has, which has its place depending on what style of music you are using it for. I made a synth bass patch that folks have commented on how low, fat, beefy, and full it is. I simply call this "vibe" for Hexeract has the ability to make your synths parts richer and exciting.

As far as comparing it to "Synth A", "Synth B", "Synth C".... I can't offer an honest assessment since I don't own every synth known to humanity.

What I can say, is if you're the type that loves cinematic, downtempo, hip hop, and ambient / soundscapes, you will not be disappointed. The low end and overall extent of the synth will inspire you alone.

Thanks for soldiering on with the updates Team Hexeract! If I may add to the pile of suggestions / recommendations (again, LOL)

I would love for there to be some demo
for those on the fence. Whether it's a 14 day trial or something that adds white noise every 10-15 seconds, I feel the optics of this will show "You don't believe us, test drive it yourself" will gain more users, building the brand.

Also, is there any more demos featuring just the synth? May I suggest having a competition or just a submission period of folks sharing their music made with Hexeract only? The diversity of the styles would be amazing to hear and go a long way towards showing what those of us who have it already know, it's a pretty bad a$$ synth! ❤️

Thanks all!

If anyone has any particular type of sound they want to see made in Hexeract in a patch building video, let me know! Feel free to post track examples/references ;)

Maybe too out there but a dubstep wobble/ more gritty sounds ala serum? Risers, drops etc.?

The master solo woodwinds flute "transformed" into an epic, cinematic, ambient (maybe with that little native american indian touch...) Hexeract flute :). No example to mess with, hard to describe, its o nly in my head, still searching for it :). I will know it if I found it (with Hexeract ?) :).

I am running into something weird. Lots of static in sounds. Sometimes its on the attack and the release of a sound. Then there sounds like Choir which sounds static-y for the first second a key is pressed and then smooths out, till it is released, which causes a split second of static.

I am on Windows 10, a very high powered i7 with 64gb of ram. Hexeract dwells on a 1tb SSD 850 EVO.

This is in Cubase 9.5. ASIO Guard is OFF. Multi-processing is ON. Latency is NOT the issue...that is not the static I hear. There are no visible ASIO spikes. I have loaded Falcon, Avenger, and DIVA (known hogs) and loaded the most intense presets I know to use and barely touch my CPU with no ASIO spikes and no static.

I did this from a fresh project and loaded an old project...no difference, problem still exists. Any ideas?

Last edited:
1TB, I Hope?
Yes and fixed! Ha. That shiny new hard drive...heh.

I have a total of 8TB of SSDs but I have not run into this issue with sound in a long time. It reminds me of a bad driver in Windows. But everything else is working perfectly.

Top Bottom