What's new

Guitarist going orchestra

from_theashes

Hello everypody and greetings from Germany!

I'm a guitarist (started when I was 10... so 25 years ago) and played in a couple progressive-rock/metal bands over the last 15 years, recoded albums and played big live shows. Since the lockdown, and a baby on its way, I'm more and more evolving to a home producer and discovered a new passion:
film music, soundtracks and orchestration.
I´m a huge movie-fan and, as a musician, enjoyed film music ever since. But now coming back to this and really LISTEN to it, opened a whole new perspective to music in general.

So I bought a Midi-Keyborad, learned some basic piano skills in the last couple month, bought some sample libraries (ok... it were MANY sample libraries.... I'm addicted!;)), watched tutorials about orchestration and composing, rescored some trailers/film sequences and wrote my first compositions:

I´m glad I found this forum and I'm hoping to find some creative input and good conversations about that passion we all share: music!

I hope everyone stays save and healthy in these crazy times!
Greetings! Timo

Last edited:
Welcome! I love your first track (haven't had a chance to listen to the 2nd one yet), you've captured a beautiful atmosphere. What kinds of film music (composers, styles etc) are you interested in?

Welcome! I love your first track (haven't had a chance to listen to the 2nd one yet), you've captured a beautiful atmosphere. What kinds of film music (composers, styles etc) are you interested in?

Thank you!:) I just updated the second one with the original version^^
I pretty much enjoy film music from quiet and mellow (like in "The Crown" or compositions by Homay Schmitz) over "just brilliant" (like John Williams) to epic (like Hans Zimmer or Alan Silvestris Theme for "Marvel´s Avengers").

Hello everypody and greetings from Germany!

I'm a guitarist (started when I was 10... so 25 years ago) and played in a couple progressive-rock/metal bands over the last 15 years, recoded albums and played big live shows. Since the lockdown, and a baby on its way, I'm more and more evolving to a home producer and discovered a new passion:
film music, soundtracks and orchestration.
I´m a huge movie-fan and, as a musician, enjoyed film music ever since. But now coming back to this and really LISTEN to it, opened a whole new perspective to music in general.

So I bought a Midi-Keyborad, learned some basic piano skills in the last couple month, bought some sample libraries (ok... it were MANY sample libraries.... I'm addicted!;)), watched tutorials about orchestration and composing, rescored some trailers/film sequences and wrote my first compositions:

I´m glad I found this forum and I'm hoping to find some creative input and good conversations about that passion we all share: music!

I hope everyone stays save and healthy in these crazy times!
Greetings! Timo

WOW - I posted earlier today a 20 second clip of my first foray into trying something orchestral (it is raw and still in its infancy but, the idea is a transcription from a song I wrote on guitar 20 years ago)

Thanks for posting - now I know others are making the same efforts I am coming from guitar - I look forward to your progress

Top Bottom