[Greg G. Megathread] Romantic power cello piano orchestral suite Hans Hisaishi or Joe Zimmer style

Mr Pringles

Hey guys, I'm going to use this thread as a mega thread for my personal orchestral creations, mockup exercises, transcriptions, but also for other genres of music and some previous projects. All in 1.

Rap track (remix of Walk The Line by Wax Tailor). Sounds old school with some flavor of the Soul of the 70's.

Strings: LASS , filtered so they would sound like they were recorded in the 70s.
VSL Harp and Vibraphone for the melodies.
Drums: Spectrasonics StylusRMX
Bass: Trilian
Verse Piano: Native Instruments Alicia's Keys
Chorus Piano: Ivory Steinway concert D

I'd like to share my latest composition which is more of a suite with several themes than an actual track. It can feel like Joe Zimmer or Hans Hisaishi .. I don't know, you tell me. It has 5 distinct parts and I see this Suite as a whole story. Just don't read the Youtube description, make up your own and let me know what you see ^^

Orchestral suite - A Bird's Life

It's 5min long and I know it could have been more developed than it is ... unfortunately I had no time to do that as it was not possible for me to spend weeks and weeks of my free time on a personal project.

Now for the technical aspect, I wanted to use Kontakt 6 instead of Kontakt 5 but had no time to build a new template with Expression maps so I went old school with one articulation on each track except for some instruments that already had keyswitches like Symphobian patches.

I used Cubase 6
Strings: LASS (mixed with a slight touch of VSL Violas for some parts because LASS Violas sounded way too harsh and flat on some notes and lacked expression/vibrato)
Brass: Symphobia Brass, Cinebrass, Epic Horns, Spitfire Albion 3
Solo Cello: Tina Guo Legato
VSL Harp
Synths: Zebra 2
Reverb: Altiverb Todd Ao
Piano : Alicia's Keys
Mix: Voxengo and Fabfilter plugins mainly to EQ and compress the Cb and cello low end.

Hope you'll enjoy this track.

Last edited:

Shantar

A very good composition indeed. Sounds great to my ears! Solid midi-mockup skills and well balanced orchestral palette. And it is good to see I am not the only one who still uses Cubase 6!

OP
Mr Pringles

Mr Pringles

This is not the first time I received some comments from people asking how I recorded an orchestral track and if I "cheated" with the use of a computer. When you try to explain what a mock up is, how you have to compose and program everything, you can immediately see deception in their eyes (what? Programming and music in the same sentence??) and they often look down on you as if we were just pushing magic buttons to produce our orchestral mockups :grin:

I'm sure you also faced this very same situation, how do you guys deal with this?

OP
Mr Pringles

Mr Pringles

Here's a Rap track I wrote (it's a remix of Walk The Line by Wax Tailor). Sounds old school with some flavor of the Soul of the 70's. I always try to arrange my tracks (orchestral or not) so they get interesting while listening the whole piece. I had to work on the arrangements and mixing tricks for this one. What do you think?

It features LASS for the strings, I filtered them to sound like they would during the 70s.
VSL Harp and Vibraphone for the melody.
Drums: Spectrasonics StylusRMX
Bass: Trilian
Verse Piano: Native Instruments Alicia's Keys
Chorus Piano: Ivory Steinway concert D

Mixing tricks:
I played the piano parts , bounced them and chopped them
Filtering
Stereo to Mono
Sidechain compression

Last edited: