What's new

Greatest Instrumental Melody of all Time!

all understood, and good luck. I directly named same tracks w/ or w/o a preferred performer. You simply gotta listen to them. :)

Start w/ Eastern Promises (Howard Shore) performed by Nicola Benedetti.
Thanks Ultra. 😊
That's a nice melody for sure, but it doesn't move me in any way.
I find his Concerning Hobbits to have more emotional impact: 🎶

Thanks Ultra. 😊
That's a nice melody for sure, but it doesn't move me in any way.
let me guess... you listened to the first YT result... ? yeah that one is no good :)

below is the revised version, I like that one... especially the 2nd half.. YT sound quality sucks... buy her disc The Silver Violin (2012) and listen on quality speakers

Last edited:
Have to disagree. I like the Tchai one, I love the Rota one. I didn't say it was my fav Rota melody, but that score was his most successful score and opened all doors for him. For a reason. B/c he nailed it.
That's close to my own personal tastes regarding both tunes...Tchaikov's is one of the most well-known melodies in existence for a reason, and it's interesting how 'Romeo and Juliet' was very important for both composers earlier in their careers. However, I simply don't 'feel' the same way about it that Piet so clearly does...and I don't know why that is, it just isn't that obvious. The Rota tune? I feel very much the same way- it's like, yeah, go ahead...let's see an actual list of 20 other melodies he created that are "much more inspired and special" than that theme from '68- it is a standout, fittingly so just like the very year of it's release. Ironically, I can likely think of around 10 melodies, give or take of Pyotr's that I personally prefer over his famous theme of the iconic fantasy overture.

The very genuine sincerity that those such as Ultra and Piet are giving their opinions on this subject only further serves to illustrate the inherent subjective-tendency of melody. Piet and Dave Connors had some very serious observations to make regarding the role of 'melody' in Beethoven's music that makes the price of admission for this thread alone.

Melodies that are permanently burned deep inside my brain and instantly recognizable in just a couple of notes. Interestingly enough, these are all from the same time period, so apparently I was especially impressionable in the early 1970s...

Don't know if they're the greatest but I've been obsessed with these simple melodies for years and sometimes dream of extending them:

Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi
Yann Tiersen

Big my secret, The Piano
Michael Nyman

And more classic:

Trio No. 2, Op. 100, andante con moto
Franz Schubert

Top Bottom