What's new

SAURON - The DAW All Media Composers Must Learn???

No but Jake Jackson is up today to start next instalment of creating the mahoosive templates so keep subsrcibed "ding that bell" if you want more BBC sneakers!

Here's a very odd video:

Reactions: Van
Hi Christian,

Given all of the well-deserved and universally positive praise of Andy Blaney on the BBCSO thread in response to his most recent demo (but actually in response to seemingly every demo he does!), I started to Google him, and found there's surprisingly little to be found, for someone of such obvious and outstanding talent. There's even an Andy Blaney appreciation thread on VI-C here, from 4 years ago, but again, surprisingly little follow up of this elusive genius!

Any chance of a future crib or composer focus - perhaps this would be a good topic as part of the revamp of the Journal you mentioned that you and Paul will be taking over?

Or here's an idea - how about Andy does a walkthrough of his demo, as part of the promo for BBCSO?

What does the VI-C community think - would this be of interest, if Christian could persuade Andy to do it?? 'Like' if you agree, so that we can count up the votes.

Last edited:
...Some say, he’s actually the mastermind behind the anti-Brexit protests, and has written a peace anthem, which he plans to release on Oct 31st, that will bring Boris to his knees in repentance and shame. All we know is... they call him the Blaney!

Christian,

Is the thought really that you guys might be sharing actual MIDI files and/or templates with BBC? That would be something of incredible value to me (i.e., hope it is "free" but I would even pay for it).

By the way, any chance you can do another live stream of beginning to end composing like you did several months ago, but save it somewhere? I think that live stream bit the dust because of the platform it was on.

(By the way, I would subscribe/pay to watch you do this on a monthly basis ...)

Something that would interest me would be a tutorial or some tips on how to progress from writing with an ensemble library like Albion One to a library with instrument sections (Studio Strings, SSO etc.). I'd love to jump up to Studio Orchestra but fear that I would just end up playing the sections in an ensemble anyway...

Sure, we've all sorts of evidence that long form tutorials and sharing is the way to go.... and yes all sorts of MIDI files being shared.
I feel like it's really important for Spitfire to deliver on this specific aspect of the library. It's hard to say exactly how good the library is until there are more details, (walkthrough, list of articulations, in action videos, etc). But a general feeling on the other thread that's emerging, that I think gathers momentum the longer the wait for more information and the initial excitement of the release begins to dissipate, is 'do I need this, given that I already have x number of string libraries, y woods, z brass & percussion'?).

I have to admit, in the interim since the announcement, despite huge initial enthusiasm, I've also found myself going through my libraries, and similarly questioning my need for it.

However, the KEY differentiator, as I see it, is the extent to which this becomes a platform for collaboration, education and information sharing, and not just 'yet another library'. If there is any company that I would want to deliver on that, and have confidence of them doing so, it would be Spitfire - for now, I continue to wait with burgeoning anticipation... (but we need feeding soon!!!).

The new template was exactly along the lines I was hoping to hear... Thank you, and can't wait to hear more...

Last edited:
Hey Christian - template looks immense, thanks for sharing.
Popped a comment on YT but probably worth adding here re Logic's articulation maps. They're amazing but perhaps a bit of an undertaking. They'd go great with the template. If you want to get the community involved in making them, happy to play a part as I'm sure others will too.
A

Were there any sounds from the BBC SO in the video? Did a quick scan, couldn't find any... Surprising that we're talking about templates before a walk through..
I get the impression that it isn’t finished yet. I don’t think we’ll see a walkthrough until close to release.

Thanks Tilt & Flow, yes you're correct and in addition to that there is something uniques about the approvals process on BBCSO, see here:

Sorry for a dumb question but this is bugging me.

I'm using Christian & Jake's template skeleton which I'm customising for the Spitfire Symphonic libraries, partly as a learning curve as I've never used templates before.

I notice that if I open a project based on their original file using New From Template, in the Logic title bar above the Control Bar it says: "Untitled - CH JJ Template 1.8 Stripped - Tracks".

I've saved mine as a Template called "Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra", but when I open a new project from it via the New From Template command it still says at the top: "Untitled - CH JJ Template 1.8 Stripped - Tracks". Even though it does incorporate all the changes I've made.

If I use the File>Open command instead of New From Template, it then says "Spitfire Symphonic Orchestra - CH JJ Template 1.8 Stripped - Tracks".

Am all for Christian and Jake's hard work being recognised, but why when I've renamed it does it still mention the original file name? I must be misunderstanding something about how Logic saves or uses templates?

EDIT: OK, sussed this now. The answer is the Project Alternatives function.

Last edited:
Top Bottom