What's new

Grace Period question

jamieboo

Hello folks

I'm being dim here, especially as I've done this with previous versions, but I'm just having a brain moment right now!

I use Cubase 9. I bought the upgrade to 9.5 when it was on special - I have not yet installed or activated it.
Cubase 10 came out today - but I want to hold fire as I'm not sure how useful it's advances will be for me.
How much longer do I have to activate 9.5 and qualify for the free grace period update to 10?

Thanks

Don't hold fire, it's just the license that will be upgraded to CB10. That license will still allow use of previous versions of Cubase.

I activated my 9.5 yesterday, and upgraded to 10 this morning without problem. The actual version of CB I'm running at the moment is 8.5, for various reasons.

You won't qualify for the grace period upgrade for any future versions (obviously) so if you're going to do it at all, now is the time. Even if you skip CB10 and wait until next year to upgrade to CB11 (or whatever) the cost from your 10 license will be likely be less than from 9 or 9.5, regardless of which version you're actually using day to day.

Thanks chrisr

So - and again forgive me if I'm being dense - do I not have to install either 9.5 or 10 yet as part of this process?
As I said I'm on 9 at the moment, and I'm in the middle of a project so I don't want to risk upgrading my installation at present.

That is correct. You do not have to install any new version of Cubase to upgrade the licence.

*edit* first activate your 9.5 license by typing the license number you were sent into the eLicense app ... then once that is showing as your license...

Go to this page and put in your eLicense number and follow the instructions which will basically be to open the eLicense app on your machine and click "maintinance" - whereby it will speak to 'head office' and confirm / upgrade your eLicence key in about 10 secs.

I also downloaded the installer for CB10 (the steinberg download assistant v1.14.5 - small download which will eventually handle the bigger CB10 download and install) so that if/when I'm ready to install CB10 I have it to hand. But right now I'm on 8.5 for similar reasons to you.

Last edited:
Excellent - thank you chrisr!
I just want to clarify... When you say 'Go to this page...' what do you mean? Did you intend to put in a link?

Oh yeah!! - https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/grace_period.html - apologies!

Also just read something on the forum which suggests that you won't even have to go there now that 10 is actually released. (It wasn't - obviously - yesterday when I activated 9.5)

It was suggested that when you activate your 9.5 license, the eLicense app will automatically invite you to accept the upgrade to v10 there and then should you wish. There is no reason not to.

Oh yeah!! - https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/grace_period.html - apologies!

Also just read something on the forum which suggests that you won't even have to go there now that 10 is actually released. (It wasn't - obviously - yesterday when I activated 9.5)

It was suggested that when you activate your 9.5 license, the eLicense app will automatically invite you to accept the upgrade to v10 there and then should you wish. There is no reason not to.

Can confirm that it upgrades automatically to 10, just did this. Saving it for later as I'm in the middle of a project.

I bought and registered a pro 9.5 update. Wondering if I activate it now, am I

1) activating pro 10 or
2) registering pro 10, and activating pro 9.5?

Thanks a lot.

Top Bottom