What's new

Got a real bad feelin about this... "Getting your upgrade ready @99% for hours"

JohnG

Started upgrading a Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 last night, pretty fast connection. The Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant has "paused" at 99%, saying

"Getting your upgrade ready
Installing Windows 10. Please wait

Percent Complete:
99%"

It isn't frozen (still shows as "running" in task manager) and it will minimize if you click the button, but it has been a couple of hours like this.

Any words o' wisdom?

You should still give it some time. I also found the following by googling the exact phrase "Getting your upgrade ready
Installing Windows 10. Please wait Percent Complete: 99%" and found the following answer:

"The problem generally is that the windows update service is not completing correctly. You can verify this by going to the Task Manager (CTRL-Shift-ESC) and showing processes from all users. You will see the svchost.exe process using a bit of processor. Right clicking the svchost process and "go to service" should show the wuauserv service as one of the services.

To fix the problem, disconnect your internet so windows update can't search it. Once disconnected, stop the wuauserv process (it will automatically restart by itself). After a minute you should see other processes continuing, like TrustedInstaller and SetupHost. A little while longer and the upgrade should complete. "

Hope that helps you.

Erik

well -- I don't know what the final result will be but alas I got "Something Went Wrong" and I hit the "Try Again" button.

lols

John I screwed up a perfectly working H170 motherboard doing that.
You might have to remove the battery but data is backed up on most mobos.
Windows 10 is a great success story for Micro$oft. Stock is up 20+%.
For us, it's a Crap shoot.
Free is never good.
I ending up just buying the Install disc and have a really fast M2/i7 6700k internet PC.

I always Clone all drives on Acronis before any upgrade for OS & apps.

The Corsair GTX USB 3.0 Pro are so fast I could stream a couple instruments on non automated live gigs.
_20160721_133829.JPG

Last edited:
well, chimuelo you are The Boss on this stuff and I take your word as gospel. The only reason I'm willing to roll the dice in this situation is that this computer is

a. Ancient (reminds me of an Ent)
b. Only woodwinds, and
c. Everything is backed up anyway. Samples separate drive etc.

I'm not using winds on my current project, so I will have time if I have to punt and get the DVD from MSFT.

But you are right. It's hilarious watching it crawl through. Second restart so far...

Same reason I took a chance.

It isn't suppose to go past 99%

It's purpose is to put the data on the cloud.
Whether or not we succeed at the Install is inconsequential.
They figure you'll get the CD.

You're not supposed to like it, you're suppose to buy it.
The Star Trek Federation is coming.
All aboard.......!!!!

aaaaahhhh!!!!

I think I'd look really fetching in a form-fitting Star Trek Federation suit. Plus those boots -- awesome.

it's trying again. Nice to see the tenacity at MSFT.
I can't remember exactly what Windows told me, but when I tried to upgrade my Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10 I was unsuccessful and found out I had an incompatible graphics card with Windows 10. Lame. However, with my desktop there was no problem going from 7 to 10.
Windows 10 is a great success story for Micro$oft. Stock is up 20+%.
I heard a rumor that the plan for Windows is to eventually become a subscription service. Don't recall the source of the rumor, so it could be totally inaccurate.

To sum it all up, my memory sucks!

I think I'd look really fetching in a form-fitting Star Trek Federation suit. Plus those boots -- awesome.

In Vegas there was a band that was average, no strenuous songs but dressed as Star Trek Characters and the board player sampled all of the effects.
Lord knows how they stay booked so long but they even called themselves the Federation.

Just shows you how easy it easy to make 800 bucks a week and still hold down a salary during the day.
Only in Nevada or a Holiday Inn Express.

back to 99%...for about five hours..........third time................

If all else fails, use the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10?wa=wsignin1.0), not the Upgrade Assistant. The description says it's for installing from a DVD or USB, but you can choose not to use those.
When using the media creation tool, you might seem to be stuck at "getting updates". Stop the windows update service in Task Manager, and you might want to also set start to Manual. That's what I had to do. Just don't forget to change it back when you're done.

Last edited:
I don't have any real advice in doing anything different to speed up the update/install time. I just wanted to confirm that upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 really does take an excruciatingly long time after that 90% mark. I thought it would only take no more than a couple hours as it hit 89% in 45 minutes...but then it slowed to another couple hours just to hit 95%-96% mark. I had to go to sleep before finding that it finally finished when I woke up.

So, my only advice is this: however long you think you're supposed to wait - triple it.

So I left it overnight -- no dice early this morning...

...but NOW!!!!!!

Went to exercise and when I came back there was a new screen that looks suspiciously like success! I now have a screen that says "71%" and "Your PC will restart several times," and the progress bar is moving.

Overall, that's about 18 hours from "99%" to doing something exciting, like really installing everything. Will be good to have all four PCs on a single OS for the first time in years.

Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions. Hopefully they will prove useful to others as well.

Top Bottom