What's new

Good VST for epic percussion

darkneo57

hi, currently I own stormdrum 2 & 3, because I subscribed to the Eastwest composercloud. I'm looking for epic percussions VST for orchestral epic music. Although I'm a beginner, I find that stormdrum lacks a little bit of epic sounds, I liked lord of toms, beast, persian battle drums, but there are no snares, anyway there are sounds I can't find.

I don't know how to explain in English but there is low sound like "boom", I'm looking for rather high-pitched "TA" sounds that are generally found on beats 2 and 4 in a 4/4 bar in response to the "boom", not snares but something similar. I don't know the how to call these kind of sounds, but that's what i'm looking for.

do you have any VSTs to recommend to me?

thank you very much

I would say Srtikeforce.

or check out LADD.

But if you have a subscription to EastWest, checkout Stormdrum 3. Many big solid drums that just need some compression, eq, and verb to make it bgger and in your face. You’ll probably need to remove some low, lows (like 40-60Hz) since it’s got a heavy low end (good mics).

Not sure if subscription has the close mics though, and that is where much of the beef is. A good library for big, exotic hits. The dragon ensembles and tree drums are awesome. ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers. I really like cerberus and La modern percussion. At a glance I have a preference for cerberus. I can buy one but it's a little expensive anyway.

I explain the situation to you, I wrote an orchestral epic type music, it's my first music, I wrote a draft percussion with stormdrum 2 & 3, but I'm not at all satisfied with my percussion, I don't find the sounds I'm looking for (and I don't really know how to name them..). I looked at the patches in stormdrum and spent some time trying them out, but I'm a beginner, maybe I can't use the sounds properly. At the same time I'm doing the mixing, because I'm learning that at the same time.

I plan to buy spitfire symphonic strings or CSS or CS2 and a good piano library, and maybe a percussion library for the black friday. Do you advise me to try to manage with stormdrum, or to buy an epic percussion library cheap like (e.g. sound splash epic percussion), or to buy cerberus or LA modern percussion directly now. I want to sell my music on jungle audio, so maybe I should manage with what I have.

Thank you for your help.

Maybe you want to check out NI's Action Strikes - I use it all the times and it is often used in Trailer music. They have all kinds of big epic percussion, both available as single hits or as epic percussion loops.

Do you have the Kontakt sampler? It sounds like you are after a tom drum or bass drum type of sound, but it would probably help if you could show an audio or youtube example of what you mean.

hi and thank you. Unfortunately I don't have the full version of Kontakt 6, do you know if it will be half price for the black friday? Currently it is at 400 euros.

here are the links for the types of sounds I'm looking for, in fact it's the typical sounds of the beats 2 & 4 in a 4/4 bar, basically it's the "TA" of the beats 2 & 4 completely different from the "boom" of the beat 1 & 3, like on a drum set but in percussion...When I use patches like "lord of toms "or "persian battle drums" and others from eastwest, I never find this type of sound. Thank you for your help.

1min20s beat 2 & 4 45s beat 2 & 4

9min45s beat 2 & 4 10min18s beat 2 & 4

I picked this up when I first started for some more processed huge sounding percussion & it works in kontakt player

hi and thank you. Unfortunately I don't have the full version of Kontakt 6, do you know if it will be half price for the black friday? Currently it is at 400 euros.

Yes, Kontakt will probably be cheaper during the Black Friday sales, not sure by how much.

You could check out these free libraries to see if they might interest you. They should still work in Kontakt player, but only for 10-15 minutes at a time.

Does Red Room generally do a holiday sale? Want to pick this up, but figured I'd wait a week or two if so.
They just had their Black Friday / Second Anniversary sale so I'm not sure... it wouldn't hurt to wait unless you have a pressing project.

@darkneo57 If this still relevant, my guess is that you are looking for a high-pitched rhythmic click, often played as 8ths or 16ths. Materials used for this are commonly metal, wood, or rarely plastic (since they are usually more hollow).

These are also called ticky-tocks, tick-tocks. Basically any click sound works, such as a Taiko stick ensemble (see Taiko Creator from In Session Audio), a clock tick, metallic clicks, such as from Heavyocity's Damage, or the one from Strike Force with a crazy 32 round robins, but Master Session Ensemble Woods also works.

If you currently do not have anything like these, you can also achieve something similar with an EQ cutting off the lows and mids, with possibly a lot of transients added.

By the way, I recommend getting NI's Komplete bundle, instead of Kontakt standalone, as you get much more for a better price. This, of course, all depends on your budget and the style of music you would like to create. We're here, so that you don't have to feel overwhelmed :)

Hope this helps, and let us know how things go!

Good luck!

Top Bottom