What's new

Good Strings/Solo Strings Libraries with flautando??

Valle

Hello,
I am looking to buy a new Strings and Solo Strings Library (currently using EWQL Hollywood Strings). As EWQLHS has flautando and harmonics only in 2. Violins, I'm really interested in getting one with flautando patches in Violas and Celli as well, and maybe harmonics. Recorded con sordino would be nice as well - can you help me out? I could not find anything oher than the (nice but rather expensive) Spitfire Chamber Strings that would give me everything in one package. (What do you think of Ablion 2?) Also, if you know a Solo Strings Library offering those patches I would really appreciate if you could give me some suggestions.
Thanks!
Valentin

Lotias

Hello,
I am looking to buy a new Strings and Solo Strings Library (currently using EWQL Hollywood Strings). As EWQLHS has flautando and harmonics only in 2. Violins, I'm really interested in getting one with flautando patches in Violas and Celli as well, and maybe harmonics. Recorded con sordino would be nice as well - can you help me out? I could not find anything oher than the (nice but rather expensive) Spitfire Chamber Strings that would give me everything in one package. (What do you think of Ablion 2?) Also, if you know a Solo Strings Library offering those patches I would really appreciate if you could give me some suggestions.
Thanks!
Valentin
SampleModeling lets you simply perform those articulations, if you know how to achieve them, in any way you'd like (flautando tremolo portamento all at the same time, for example). That's only solo strings though. VSL's various string ensemble offerings also very probably has flautando, definitely has harmonics, and definitely has con sordino (true legato on con sordino is packaged separately).

8dio's strings have con sordino as well (their con sordino library specifically is on sale for like 70% off at the moment, and all their string ensemble offerings are on sale as well), but I don't know about flautando or harmonics.

You could also try looking at Chris Hein's solo strings, but I don't know exactly the extent of the articulations offered.

EDIT: took a look, VSL definitely offers flautando sustains on strings in the standard orchestral strings library, and that probably goes for their other string ensembles. Con sordino (without true legato) is only in the full library, though.

Last edited:

markleake

Relapsed Sale Addict
Hello,
Thanks!
Valentin
SCS is easily the more flexible between SCS and Albion II Loegria. They do have a different tone though. Loegria has a slightly softer tone, including with the flautandos patches. Personally I prefer Loegria for soft string articulations in most cases over SCS - it's not as flexible, but sounds absolutely beautiful. Loegria also has a harmonics and con sordino articulation. The downside is you only get ensemble/high/low strings patches (although sometimes this is actutally an advantage), and legatos only for the full and 1/2 section articulations, not the flautandos or con sordino. SCS mostly has those as legatos. You'd be hard pressed to find anything that offers the same flexibility on the market to what SCS has. Berlin Strings may, although I don't have that lib to comment on it.

Another option is Albion V. It is a larger set of players than SCS or Loegria though. I find the sound more airy and grainy, so it doesn't really replace SCS or Loegria, it just gives a 3rd option. It has some fairly unique content in it. Have a watch through the Spitfire videos on Albion V, as it may give you a good alternative to the libraries that you've already mentioned.

Edit: Fixed CSC to be SCS... I blame the cat. :)

Last edited:

Pixelee

CSC is easily the more flexible between CSC and Albion II Loegria. They do have a different tone though. Loegria has a slightly softer tone, including with the flautandos patches. Personally I prefer Loegria for soft string articulations in most cases over CSC - it's not as flexible, but sounds absolutely beautiful. Loegria also has a harmonics and con sordino articulation. The downside is you only get ensemble/high/low strings patches (although sometimes this is actutally an advantage), and legatos only for the full and 1/2 section articulations, not the flautandos or con sordino. CSC mostly has those as legatos. You'd be hard pressed to find anything that offers the same flexibility on the market to what CSC has. Berlin Strings may, although I don't have that lib to comment on it.

Another option is Albion V. It is a larger set of players than CSC or Loegria though. I find the sound more airy and grainy, so it doesn't really replace CSC or Loegria, it just gives a 3rd option. It has some fairly unique content in it. Have a watch through the Spitfire videos on Albion V, as it may give you a good alternative to the libraries that you've already mentioned.
What is CSC?

willbedford

Composer - Sample Library Developer
Loegria has some gorgeous flautando strings (sustains only), among several other hidden gems. Probably Spitfire's most under-appreciated library.
Even though I have SCS (and love it) I still turn to Loegria for certain sounds.

markleake

Relapsed Sale Addict
Loegria has some gorgeous flautando strings (sustains only), among several other hidden gems. Probably Spitfire's most under-appreciated library.
Even though I have SCS (and love it) I still turn to Loegria for certain sounds.
Yes, I think out of all my recent Spitfire purchases, Loegria has the most wonderful sound. Nothing beats it.

Vik

Yes, I think out of all my recent Spitfire purchases, Loegria has the most wonderful sound. Nothing beats it.
Do you have Sable/SCS and still prefer Loegria?

I wonder what the size of the Loegria strings are.

I googled, and found this: http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/spitfire-audio-albion-2-loegria
"Section sizes (14 violins, four violas, four cellos and three basses) are smaller than Albion I's 20/seven/six/four line-up. "

But then I also found this:
http://www.musictech.net/2013/02/albion-ii-loegria-review/
"Strings are the mainstay of any cinematic library and the sections here consist of eight first violins, six second violins, four violas, four cellos and three basses".

Sable is 4 V1s, 3 V2s, 3 Violas, 3 Cellos and 3 Basses. If the second link above is correct, maybe Loegria V1s simply are the Sable V1s and V2s, doubled? And that the Loegria half section violins simply are the Sable samples?

I don't own any of these libraries, but look for chamber/divisi like, preferably with true con sord and flautando. So both SCS and Loegria half sections are interesting. But AFAIK there's aren't many demos out there which focus on the sound of the half sections for more than a few seconds.

markleake

Relapsed Sale Addict
Do you have Sable/SCS and still prefer Loegria?

I wonder what the size of the Loegria strings are.

I googled, and found this: http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/spitfire-audio-albion-2-loegria
"Section sizes (14 violins, four violas, four cellos and three basses) are smaller than Albion I's 20/seven/six/four line-up. "

But then I also found this:
http://www.musictech.net/2013/02/albion-ii-loegria-review/
"Strings are the mainstay of any cinematic library and the sections here consist of eight first violins, six second violins, four violas, four cellos and three basses".

Sable is 4 V1s, 3 V2s, 3 Violas, 3 Cellos and 3 Basses. If the second link above is correct, maybe Loegria V1s simply are the Sable V1s and V2s, doubled? And that the Loegria half section violins simply are the Sable samples?

I don't own any of these libraries, but look for chamber/divisi like, preferably with true con sord and flautando. So both SCS and Loegria half sections are interesting. But AFAIK there's aren't many demos out there which focus on the sound of the half sections for more than a few seconds.
Actually, I don't know the size of the Loegria string sections. It's a good question.

Loegria to me sounds a bit bigger, less 'bitey' and less direct (ie more diffused in tone) than SCS. But the library achieves that without actually sounding big, if that makes sense. Even the 1/2 sections in Loegria don't have the same bite/directness to them that SCS does. So I find Loegria has that gentler tone that is better suited to tender or soft passages. I think it also makes Loegria a bit less pronounced when used as underscore. The flautando, 1/2 sections, and sordino really can be quite beautiful. That's just my personal preference though, there may be some people who prefer SCS for the same needs. Obviously Loegria is going to be far more limited in what it can do that SCS overall.

Be aware that the legatos in Loegria really can't handle much beyond a medium speed legato and still sound good, although it would depend on how far you push them and how prominent they are in a mix I guess. I really don't think Loegria strings could be the same string section as SCS, as they definitely have a different tone.

Having said the above, the differences between the two may well be un-hearable or mostly pointless for most listeners.

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.

It's still my go to for more relaxed/adagio-style mock ups. I don't use the sackbuts (or whatever the heck they're called) much though.

markleake

Relapsed Sale Addict
It's still my go to for more relaxed/adagio-style mock ups. I don't use the sackbuts (or whatever the heck they're called) much though.
There is a nice horn/euphonium patch which I like, and I know other people like also. I've heard people say they use the Sackbutts, but I've never been to taken with them myself, maybe because I've not needed them. You can safely ignore the recorder patches... not Spitfire's greatest moment.

For what it's worth, I've heard many people say they use Loegria for the soft string patches in preference to many other libraries.

Parsifal666

I don't even own a DAW, I'm just a troll.
For what it's worth, I've heard many people say they use Loegria for the soft string patches in preference to many other libraries.

To me those are the high point, but you have me digging through Loegria to check out the horny euphonium patches again. I haven't used them too much...I probably need to familiarize myself more with that end of the library, because I do use mostly the strings.

Neifion

Don't know if this is within your price range, but for solo strings the Sacconi Quartet from Spitfire has flautando and harmonics for all instruments (V1, V2, VA, and VC).

Vik

Even the 1/2 sections in Loegria don't have the same bite/directness to them that SCS does.

That's possible... nevertheless, I really like the..."personality" of this sound, especially before the bass chimes in:

Re. number of players, it sounds more like 8 violins than 14 violins to me. But then again, Loegria doesn't have individual instruments (viola, cello etc), so the Strings Lo and Strings Hi patches may probably contain both violins and violas at the same time, and/or V1s and V2s.

"The flautando, 1/2 sections, and sordino really can be quite beautiful."
Yes, really. And I agree that Sable and Loegria sounds different from each other, but wonder if that could be done by eg doubling V1s with V2s, V2s with violas and so on - combined with some clever use of mic positions.

markleake

Relapsed Sale Addict
That's possible... nevertheless, I really like the..."personality" of this sound, especially before the bass chimes in:

Re. number of players, it sounds more like 8 violins than 14 violins to me. But then again, Loegria doesn't have individual instruments (viola, cello etc), so the Strings Lo and Strings Hi patches may probably contain both violins and violas at the same time, and/or V1s and V2s.

"The flautando, 1/2 sections, and sordino really can be quite beautiful."
Yes, really. And I agree that Sable and Loegria sounds different from each other, but wonder if that could be done by eg doubling V1s with V2s, V2s with violas and so on - combined with some clever use of mic positions.

I'd assume the high section is V1 V2 and Va, because it was only in Tundra where Spitfire have specifically mentioned bypassing using violas. I've no special knowledge though.

I really can't see how SCS can be the same sections. In SCS the tone of the strings stays consistently different, as I describe above, across all the mics. Albion 2 the same. I don't think you could change the tone so much via mics. You can hear the players in the recordings, and they aren't the same (or aren't playing the same).

Top Bottom