Good libraries for '60s British spy music

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by dcoscina, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Farkle

Farkle Senior Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've had an enjoyable time with Impact Soundworks Groove Bias Drum Kit. It's recorded to analogue tape, old style sound... it's got a great tape saturated sound, nicely programmed, and you can do killer mod spy stuff. Check out this retro spy hunter cue...

http://vimeo.com/4682836

I think it has some very sweet retroness to it!

Mike

2. ed buller

ed buller Senior Member

Mar 23, 2011
    SANTA MONICA
    i'm really curious as to how you wrote this. As the melody is so heavily chromatic did you let THAT decide what chords to use ? or did the chords come first ?

I find music from that era so evocative . Sort of strange mix between piano salon classical and jazz .

e

3. dinerdog

dinerdog Senior Member

May 6, 2009
    This is American spy music, but the same era I think.

I've been looking for some great vintage kits for a while with that LA movie sound (because I think the drums really of set the tone), but unless I'm wrong (there must be some drummers here), the reason I haven't really heard anything 'that' authentic sounding, is because that 60s sound had a LOT to do with the single headed toms they were all using. I don't think I've heard anything vintage doing that. I think that has a LOT more to do with the sound than being in mono or what mic's they used. Here are the guys that played on that stuff:

Earl Palmer (he was one of Schifrin's favourite players: some of Mission Impossible, Ape Shuffle and many others)
    Shelly Manne (Venetian Affair, some of Mission Impossible)
    Larry Bunker (Dirty Harry, Kelly's Heroes)
    Joe Porcaro
    Stix Hooper (Enter the dragon)
    Paul Humphrey (Planet of the apes)

When I went to the Bass Institute of Technology (for those of you old enough to remember) in the late 70s, Tommy Tedesco would bring us to sessions for "The Love Boat, Rockford" and stuff, and there was Shelley Manne with his classic kit and undeniable sound.

Slightly off topic - not to get into that silly library discussion, but in my vintage search for 60s sounds (and some AMAZING library music it produced) I noticed a composer of lots of vintage 60s stuff named David Lindup who (yes you Brits know) is the father of Mike Lindup of Level 42. KILLER work on the old KPM albums. Makes me want to give up when I hear how great those guys were.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-k ... d430437111

4. Firstfewbars

Firstfewbars Senior Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Sweden
    I wrote the music to this crazy trailer a few years ago that unfortunately never became a finished film.
    It is VSL Pro Edition, Epic Horns and Logics apple loops.

http://vimeo.com/44310914

5. OP
    OP
    dcoscina

dcoscina Senior Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Great job. Love love love your sense of harmonic motion on this track.

6. Cygnus64

Cygnus64 Senior Member

Apr 26, 2009
    The cocktail EZX sounds very 60s to me. Every time I load it, I think of the party scene from "Breakfast at Tiffanys". 8)

7. AC986

AC986 Senior Member

Jul 31, 2013
  8. zacnelson

zacnelson Senior Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    mate, I just love what you've done here, it's perfect at capturing the era you were going for, and it's just an awesome fun melody

9. lux

lux Senior Member

Not sure if has been mentioned before, but I would also consider givin a spin to Izotope Vinyl on some of the instruments you already got, in order to get rid of the clarity of recent sampling.

10. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
  11. KEnK

KEnK Senior Member

May 1, 2011
    That kick snare combo drum is one of the strangest things to me.
    I've never heard of it's existence in any other scenario.
    Tried to research it a little, maybe to hear a real one, or at least to see a pic.
    I couldn't find anything

And Yes Piet's piece is perfect. Totally in the period.
    Nice "picked" bass sound too.
    All those sounds w/ Pianoteq?
    Have to give that a look

k

12. re-peat

re-peat Senior Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Thanks, Kenk! Pleasantly surprised that you point out the bass. That is, in fact, and by some distance, my favourite sound of the entire track. It isn’t Pianoteq though, it’s a home-made simulation of that fantastic bass-sound that gave the Bert Kaempfert recordings of the 60s (such as Living It Up ..) such an irresistible jaunty skip. Love that sound (and I love those Kaempfert records).

Home-made simulation means: I sampled every isolated note I could find on the original records (unfortunately, there aren’t that many), Melodyned the best ones to generate the missing ones, did some other stuff with it, and eventually ended up with a fairly playable patch for Logic’s EXS. Of limited use, but when it works, it works like nothing else. You have to double it with a classic Fender bass sound though, for best effect.

_

13. OP
    OP
    dcoscina

dcoscina Senior Member

Nov 16, 2004
    This was a little rough thing I put together for the director. The string theme was something I wrote for his rough cut last year. Just demoing ideas or him. I would like to get a solid theme nailed down so from there i can just employ some nice variations throughout the score.

https://soundcloud.com/dcoscina/spy-ideas-2014

14. KEnK

KEnK Senior Member

May 1, 2011
    Hey Peat-

I didn't think the bass was PianoTeq.
    Just the harpsichordish and maybe zither-like tones.
    Glad you're pleased I noticed the bass.
    (Reminds me of the Mary Kay sound)
    It adds a lot to the "vintage effect",
    even though it's not the main thing you hear.

I've done a few vintage things myself-
    so I know the importance of so called background instruments.

On that Bert Kaempfert track it sounds more like a baritone guitar to me.
    As a guitarist, almost no stringed instrument puzzles me more than that beast.

k