What's new

Good inexpensive acoustic guitar?

bill5

I'm considering giving this a go, with extremely modest expectations...no delusions of ever becoming a real "player." But it'd be nice to have "real" recordings for some simpler guitar parts vs VIs. I see what's out there on the net for suggestions but wondering if anyone has any favs (or ones they would avoid).

@bill5 not all guitars are created equally, and especially with acoustic the most minute thing can mean the difference between a true gem and a stinker.

Just like any other instrument, virtual or physical, the category is not a monolith. Different sub-types are catered for different use-cases.

I'd say there are three major body-styles of steel string (with some images for scale):

Parlor (small)

maxresdefault.jpg

Concert (medium)

rs_600x600-200518042023-600-Taylor-Swift-LT-051820-GettyImages-1173456441.jpg

Dreadnaught (large)
500px-John_Denver.jpg

There are of course more types, but these are the major categories.

In addition feel as you hold/play it, each has a general tonal characteristic:

Parlor: softest, focused midrange, maybe a bit on the boxy side (especially when strumming), nice for fingerstyle
Concert: fairly loud but not heavy bass, nice for fingerstyle and good for strumming
Dreadnought: very balanced & loud, most bass of all, ideal for strumming (western) and flatpicking (bluegrass)

I personally think that, while Dreadnoughts are easiest to find (especially at 'budget' price-points), they're not actually the most well-rounded or the easiest to record.

You'll probably find the most luck in the 'Concert' style.

Don't worry about electro-acoustics or cutaways—for this use-case, you simply won't need them!

(I *will* say that it is not bad to get a used guitar, though I understand why you might want to buy new.)

For super-cheap and reasonable expectation of quality in this category, you really can't go wrong with a Yamaha FS800: Amazon product ASIN B01C931H4S
Whatever you do get, make sure to take it to a local luthier and get it professionally set-up. Even 'great' guitars need this treatment before serious usage, and it is something I categorically recommend to any guitarist on any guitar.

Last edited:
Seldom mentioned but my go-to-guitar for recordings: "Art & Lutherie"
...I am not worth a Martin or Taylor, so these are perfect for me: Around 500 to 600 Euro, hand-built in Canada, warm sound, escpecially for strumming.
I own two and I am still in love...! With both... Yes, that is possible...

@bill5 not all guitars are created equally, and especially with acoustic the most minute thing can mean the difference between a true gem and a stinker.

Just like any other instrument, virtual or physical, the category is not a monolith. Different sub-types are catered for different use-cases.

I'd say there are three major body-styles of steel string (with some images for scale):

Parlor (small)

maxresdefault.jpg

Concert (medium)

rs_600x600-200518042023-600-Taylor-Swift-LT-051820-GettyImages-1173456441.jpg

Dreadnaught (large)
500px-John_Denver.jpg

There are of course more types, but these are the major categories.

In addition feel as you hold/play it, each has a general tonal characteristic:

Parlor: softest, focused midrange, maybe a bit on the boxy side (especially when strumming), nice for fingerstyle
Concert: fairly loud but not heavy bass, nice for fingerstyle and good for strumming
Dreadnought: very balanced & loud, most bass of all, ideal for strumming (western) and flatpicking (bluegrass)

I personally think that, while Dreadnoughts are easiest to find (especially at 'budget' price-points), they're not actually the most well-rounded or the easiest to record.

You'll probably find the most luck in the 'Concert' style.

Don't worry about electro-acoustics or cutaways—for this use-case, you simply won't need them!

(I *will* say that it is not bad to get a used guitar, though I understand why you might want to buy new.)

For super-cheap and reasonable expectation of quality in this category, you really can't go wrong with a Yamaha FS800: Amazon product ASIN B01C931H4S
Whatever you do get, make sure to take it to a local luthier and get it professionally set-up. Even 'great' guitars need this treatment before serious usage, and it is something I categorically recommend to any guitarist on any guitar.
Based on the pics, I definitely prefer concert. ;)

Consider this a blanket thank you to all the replies! Again this is not something I'm going to get really serious about if I do it at all, just light usage (and knowledge). I was looking at $100-200 vs $500 like the other thread, though it seems many of you would not recommend, even though some highly regarded brands (such as Yamaha) have some in that range new.

PS no love for Ibanez? I know they're well regarded generally and see them on some "best inexpensive guitars" lists.

Top Bottom