Good chamber strings (spitfire?)

Mrmonkey

Wassup, it’s the last day of the spitfire sale and I’m so weak. I grabbed the OA composer toolkit and really like it, and it’s made me realise I don’t have anything that is a more intimate strings sound. I have Albion tundra but it’s quiet and big and the only other strings I got is in BBCSO which doesn’t really work either.

So I was looking and there are a lot of chamber things such as:

Olafur chamber evos - 179
Fragile string evos -209
Angular string evos - 209
Albion neo- 336
Spitfire chamber strings -489

muk

It all depends on what kind of music you want to write, and on your workflow.

Light & Sound Chamber Strings: personally my favourite Chamber Strings sound available. Limited set of articulations. Affordable.

Century Strings: mature library for 8dio. Sound too bright and 'steely' to my ears, but that's subjective All sections recorded in center position, so not in situ. Real con sordino library can be bought too. Might get an update to 2.0 in the coming months.

Nashville Chamber Strings: upcoming library that may or may not be released soon. Will be recorded centered like Century Strings, and without dedicated second violins section. Not much more info about it at the moment.

VSL Dimension Strings: expensive, but probably the most flexibel strings library available. Dry. Needs time and experimentation to set it up the way you like. Very playable. The sound is again not something I am too keen on personally.

VSL Chamber Strings: dry. More traditional concept than Dimension Strings, thus simpler to use, but also less flexible. Different sound due to different recording technique.

Sample Modeling Strings: modeled, based on samples. Very playable. Different section sizes, from solo to symphonic, with chamber sized sections available. With modeled instruments often their strenghts is the musicality and expressiveness, with the sound often being a weakness.

Maybe there are a few more libraries you can check out, these are just from off the top of my head.

Michael Stibor

Wassup, it’s the last day of the spitfire sale and I’m so weak. I grabbed the OA composer toolkit and really like it, and it’s made me realise I don’t have anything that is a more intimate strings sound. I have Albion tundra but it’s quiet and big and the only other strings I got is in BBCSO which doesn’t really work either.

So I was looking and there are a lot of chamber things such as:

Olafur chamber evos - 179
Fragile string evos -209
Angular string evos - 209
Albion neo- 336
Spitfire chamber strings -489
Why are all your options only Spitfire? Is it because of the sale? I think a lot will depend on what you’re trying to get out of the strings. My understanding is that the Spirfire offerings are more for ambience than true chamber music (like say VSL). If your looking for versatility, I’d say to split the difference and get Light & Sound. At the price they sell it at, it’s always on sale.

jaketanner

Save your money. Unless you need it immediately, try and wait for BF deals. This way you have more options and by then you might see new releases...NCS from Audio Ollie was already mentioned, and LASS will most likely have released they new string library also with flexible divisi. Spitfire is okay if you like the AIR hall sound...you can't get rid of it, and I really believe that SFA pays less attention to details than any other developer out there...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The BBCSO concept is great, but lots of little issues that add up to frustration. You may find more of that with other SF libraries. BTW, I own 6 of them, so I speak from experience..LOL