1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going from a 34" DAW monitor to a 43" monitor - Any opinions?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by quantum7, Aug 3, 2018.

1. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Don’t really know! Matte, I think.

2. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    what do you mean by "glare"?

3. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Essentially, I think that staring at screens constantly is giving my eyes fits. I’ve brought down the brightness on all of my devices but I still get some visual distortions after a lot of intense MIDI work, especially where I find myself leaning in.

4. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Right. I know what you mean. Make sure you have a high refresh rate happening. I find that lower refresh rates cause my neural circuits to get all jacked up after too much time. at least 60hz.

But eye squinting could be causing it too...if you strain to see small type, or have to lean in, as you say, then probably you are straining the eye muscles, which ultimately leads to fatigue.

This is why I'm asking everyone to clarify the viewing distance when they talk about the size and resolution they are using. My thoughts are that a lot of people do not have the optimal setup for the viewing distance they are at.

5. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Larry, I wonder whether you need sunglasses, or colored ones, or something that filters something that's bothering you.

I have no idea what it is, but you'd think an opthalmologist could get to the bottom of whatever sensitivity you have.

Of course, it could also be your monitor. I haven't posted about it, but (in addition to other complaints) I had some kind of very minor eye strain at the edge of my consciousness when I experimented with a 4K TV for a week. That doesn't happen with my over 12-year-old 30" Cinema Display.

jbuhler likes this.
  6. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Nick, can you please describe exactly your setup with the 4K TV? which TV was it? viewing distance? what your biggest problem was?

I am waffling back and forth right now between either getting a 32" 2K screen (which is essentially about the same as cinema display), or if I want to go 4K, then I feel that the screen would need to be 43" in order to basically have close to the same ppi as the cinema display. I could actually use my existing video card with a 2K screen, and those are a lot cheaper. So there is that.. If I go to 4K I will have to get new video card, in addition to a more expensive monitor...and...I'm not sure whether I'm down for 43" screen or not...

7. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Dewdman, it's a Samsung UN40KU6290D 40" monitor I bought at Costco. I have a 5,1 Mac Pro, and I bought (later returned) a Gigabyte Radeon RX450 card to drive the 40" at 4K/60Hz.

Yes, 43" is the same dot pitch as the Cinema, and 40" is close enough to 43".

I had the Samsung in the same position as I have the 30" Cinema Display: between 18" and 2' from my nose, depending on whether I'm leaning back (as I normally do) or sitting up.

My problem with that Samsung replacing the Cinema Display was that the screen is too big. I didn't like turning my head as much to see the sides of the monitor. The other issue is that this monitor isn't really a computer display, and I could see some color fuzziness around text. But the main thing was the size - the thing is too big for me.

Now I have the Samsung 5' away, where I use it as a TV and sometimes as a second monitor at 1080p. It's useful for parking open plug-ins.

8. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I should add that I didn't have the kind of problem NYC Composer is describing at all, I was just saying that I understand how some people could have sensitivities to some monitors.

9. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Thanks for clarifying!

So basically I have a couple take-aways from this observation.

One is that the lower ppi values will work at closer viewing distances as well as further away. albeit lower resolution.

Another is that the 30" cinema display is a nice compromise, it can work from 3-4 feet away because of the low ppi, but it can also be closer and still not cause too much head turning. The downside is that its only 2k resolution.

I suspect that at 18-24 inch viewing distance, a 4k 32inch monitor would probably work well also, giving the higher resolution, but would not work well at 3-4 feet away.

The 40" monitor you were using may or may not have been the best model for computer use, since you noted some fuzziness and I think some other monitors have gotten much better reviews in terms of image quality for computer use. Anyone considering a flat panel TV as a monitor needs to do their homework to make sure that it has the right specs for computer use also.

Anything larger then 30 inches probably needs to be further away to avoid all the head turning. I am still wondering how far away a 43 inch monitor needs to be to really bring head turning down to being no more then would happen with say a cinema display at 18-24 inches away.

You say you are now using the 40" at 5 feet away as a secondary monitor for some secondary things like plugin windows and such, which is a nice way to use it! How is it at the distance in terms of head turning? How is it in terms of being able to read smaller fonts and such from 5 feet out? Again, I'm presuming that your 40" TV may not have been the best model for computer use, so I kind of expect you say that its a bit fuzzy for reading fonts, but at 5 feet its comfortable to use in terms of head turning. I wonder how you would perceive the head turning at 4 feet?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  10. Geoff Grace

Geoff Grace Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Funny, one doesn't normally think of a "head turner" as being a bad quality; yet here, we have an exception to the rule.

Best,

Geoff

11. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Not sure I'd call 2K resolution a compromise! 30" 2560x1600 is a standard computer monitor - but a big one. Until recently it was the biggest anyone used, and it still feels pretty luxurious.

Any standard computer monitor 3-4' away would be too far for me, and I have good eyes.

It's pretty small, but it should work as long as you can change the res when you need to. I think I mentioned the 28" Samsung computer monitor Costco sells or was selling.

Indubitously. It was just an experiment.

Well, many people aren't bothered by the head-turning on a larger 4K TV, so it's going to be subjective.

But as I sorta said, you'd have to have eagle eyes to work on a standard computer monitor from much more of a distance.

No head turning, no fuzzy fonts, but I run it at 1080p - a much larger picture with far less real estate on a large screen.

12. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I was going to post a picture of the two screens from where I sit, but wouldn't you know it - my DVI-HDMI adapter seems to have been screwed up by some jackass bumping into it in my garage....

13. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    hehe, I agree, it would be an upgrade for me at this point, but nonetheless, it is a compromise compared to all the 4k monitors that now seem to be becoming more of the standard in terms of screen real estate.

The main point is this, if you get a 32" 4k monitor, it has to be close to your face, you have no option to be further without scaling it. If you get a 43" 4k monitor it subjectively has to be further away in order to avoid head turning, and its not clear to me right now what reading smaller fonts on a 4k 43" from 4 feet away would be like.

In contrast to that, the 2k cinema display (or a current 32" 2k monitor), basically sits halfway between those two extremes. Less resolution (the compromise), but you can certainly use it closer without head turning, and I think it could be used from 3-4 feet because my old monitor is about the same ppi as that, and I can definitely use it from 3 feet without issue. But I guess that depends on your eyes and desktop needs. My DAW station needs 3 feet minimum for now. But anyway, the point is, this size and resolution is useful from both close and medium viewing distances...without causing too much head turning. It may be just the right size... In my view (for now) its either this, or a 4k 43" at 3-4 feet out.

True. Nonetheless we still need to identify head turning as a compromise for larger screens at close distance and if possible figure out what minimum distance is required for any given screen size to avoid that.

One of the reasons people are also interesting in the wide curved displays is because they don't like looking up and town, which is actually hard on the neck as well. They don't mind turning side to side, apparently. So the distance needed to avoid that on 43" is interesting to know. If I get a 43", it will sit as low on my desk as possible, but still I think it will need to be 3-4 feet away.

14. JPQ

JPQ Senior Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Makes me wonder how i solve things later when is hard get smaller displays and in small room (what very likely have when i get older have) and smaller displays in resolution which is still easy read i mean. these dispaly things are very hard. and i want use my current one long as possible becouse i have very old hardware which needs vga input and also money income reasons.

15. muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Why is this topic in the 'Sample Talk' Section ?

16. LandWaterSky

LandWaterSky Senior Member

Jul 7, 2017
    I sit an average of 3 to 3.5 feet from my monitors.

I currently run both a 43-Inch 4K ViewSonic VX4380 Flat Screen Monitor (16:9 aspect ratio) along with a Samsung 34-Inch CF791 Curved Widescreen Monitor (21:9 aspect ratio).

I like the 43-Inch ViewSonic when I’m working on a project where I need a more centered view of open apps and windows. I prefer the Samsung curved screen when I need a lot of faders.

Even with these nice monitors, due to my increasingly poor eyesight, I find myself struggling more and more to read the ridiculously tiny text on so many VI interfaces (hello Native Instruments) as well as notation on manuscripts.

Not only is this a constant buzz kill when I’m trying to compose, it’s actually disruptive to my workflow. So, I’m alway on the lookout for a monitor that provides more real estate with higher resolution.

To that end I recently read that Samsung will be releasing several new ultra-wide screen monitors with greatly increased resolution (49, 43.4, 34 and 31.5 Inch models). Their new 49-Inch curved screen monitor is said to have a resolution of 5,120 x 1,440 pixels – a major improvement over their current 49-Inch monitors which run at a resolution of 3,840 x 1,080.

The 32:9 aspect ratio of these ultra-wide monitors may not be to everyone’s liking but I think I could put up with a more horizontal screen space if the resolution was there.

No word on if or when these new monitors are slated for release.

Here’s the article I’m referencing:

https://www.techradar.com/news/sams...s-up-the-resolution-for-ultra-wide-perfection

17. Geoff Grace

Geoff Grace Senior Member

Apr 15, 2009
    For Mac users who only occasionally have difficulty seeing/reading things on their screen, this is worth a look:

How to use Zoom on Mac

Best,

Geoff

18. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
  19. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    maybe. not with a 43 inch monitor though.

20. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Actually, my 40" Samsung and 30" Cinema Display weigh about the same with their stands removed!