What's new

Gnarly/Dirty sounding Bass Sample Library

Roll your own! Take a clean one and use some distortion, or an amp simulation. It will sound much more vivid like that, and it's fun, too.

Yes. That would be the best solution. ^^

The Rickenbacker is awesome. Just make sure to use the attack offset knob if you want fast repetitions to sound more fluid

You'll need EZ bass though, but this expansion sounds pretty dirty and heavy to me.

Also: Karoryfer Samples Secret Agent Bass. It is a really good one, I have just used it and I’m loving it. Great source to get you going and roll your own.

(broken link removed)

Also: Karoryfer Samples Secret Agent Bass. It is a really good one, I have just used it and I’m loving it. Great source to get you going and roll your own.

(broken link removed)
Thanks. A very different kind of dirt than the distorted metal bass sound, but it can certainly do more retro kinds of grit. Like, I've noticed the upper register does Joy Division stuff surprisingly well. The pickup's construction is a copy of the old Hagstrom Bi-Sonics, like the modern Darkstar pickups, and that oughta be worth some cult points.

In general, for rolling your own you'll probably want to split the signal, which will let you add a lot more distortion without making the lows all ugly. So, send your bass to two channels. Leave the low frequencies (up to maybe about 150-200 Hz) clean, just compressed. Run the stuff above that into your FX and distorted amp sim. Whether to sidechain just the clean lows or both parts of the signal to the kick... not sure which is the standard these days, but I'd try just the lows first.

The Ignite Amps SHB-1 head is nice for this kind of stuff, and free. Basically a software prototype of a 1300 W hardware bass amp they built for someone.

Thanks. A very different kind of dirt than the distorted metal bass sound, but it can certainly do more retro kinds of grit. Like, I've noticed the upper register does Joy Division stuff surprisingly well. The pickup's construction is a copy of the old Hagstrom Bi-Sonics, like the modern Darkstar pickups, and that oughta be worth some cult points.

In general, for rolling your own you'll probably want to split the signal, which will let you add a lot more distortion without making the lows all ugly. So, send your bass to two channels. Leave the low frequencies (up to maybe about 150-200 Hz) clean, just compressed. Run the stuff above that into your FX and distorted amp sim. Whether to sidechain just the clean lows or both parts of the signal to the kick... not sure which is the standard these days, but I'd try just the lows first.

The Ignite Amps SHB-1 head is nice for this kind of stuff, and free. Basically a software prototype of a 1300 W hardware bass amp they built for someone.
Compression works wonders. I have used the fingered sample set and it sounds very punchy and has a surprisingly warm low end. I was astounded how good it sounds to be honest, for it being a kind of crappy source ;) - I hope to be able to share the end result here shortly.

Check out Submission and Impact Studios basses, they have both processed distorted options and clean DIs you can process with something like Neural DSP Parallax. EZBass has a nice range as well.

Top Bottom