What's new

Glissandos and Orchestral FX

emmaus

New Member for Years
Hello All, and thank you for sharing so much useful information regarding sample libraries that I have benefited from this past year. This is my first post to your excellent forum.

Are there any sample libraries that have upward and downward string glissandos that are pitched based/time based via the DAW input? Ideally, I would like to divisi the strings (Vln 1, 2, Vla, VC, CB) into clusters via the Score Editor in Logic Pro (or any notational program) and set the pitches and duration (based on the DAW tempo) for each instrument via notation. I realize this is asking alot. But is there anything out there that could get me close to this for decent score mock ups? Dynamic Sound Sampling Orchestral FX seems to be getting there, but, I'm not sure they do downward glisses, and I don't know how the samples would respond being driven by a MIDI score editor. I also know there are 4 speeds, but I'm not sure how they are relative to the DAW tempo, if at all. Around 38:30 of Penderecki's "Magnificat" is an example of an extended descending string gliss that would be nice to realize in sampled instruments built on pitches and time from a DAW:

It seems that Project Sam's Pandora Adaptive Sync shows promise in controlling both glisses and aleatoric phrases over time, but I'm not sure they can be programmed to start or end on the quarter or eight (or less) beat? And I'm not sure about pitch and transposition. I'm a bit concerned about stretching them regarding sound quality. And apparently this can be tough on the CPU? Are there any other "aleatoric"/FX libraries that offer this kind of control (other than OTs SFX Strings and similar libraries that seem quite "playable" for my purposes)? I read on your forum about Strezov's AMS Brass library, and this also seems to offer quite a bit of control.

I hope this makes sense. I've probably been doing way too much Black Friday pre-shopping!:)

Thank you again for your help!

Thank you for your replies! I've looked at both these libraries and like the sounds. I believe the Sonokinetic is phrase based, which I think would make defining a glissando, or multiple glissandi from a notation editor difficult (thanks NekujaK, glissandi is plural for glissando!). And I read there are similar problems with the Cage libraries, though I love the sounds in these libraries as well. I'll take another look at Palette. I'm sure there are ways to dig into Kontakt in combination with my DAW to program the sounds, but I must admit I enjoying composing more than programming. I'm just wondering if there are any libraries that will play back the glissandi as written, in both timing and pitch so they fit in the score as written. As for aleatoric patterns, or multi-phonic winds, or string effects, that is not such an issue regarding timing and precise pitch, but being able to play the patch at various pitch levels would be. For instance, a high wind "flurry" or a repeated pattern that would approximate the range written in the score would be very useful. So a pattern (patch) that is transposable over various pitches within the real range of the instruments would be perfect for getting the idea across from the written page. Do you know if Tutti or Palette can do this, or any libraries, or combination of libraries that can get close for a decent score mockup? Shopping would be so much easier if returns were accepted! :)

I don't know if it is the right and definitive solution, but what I'm experimenting with is using VSL Dimension Strings to individually create glissandi of the correct length, and then recall them in the score.

NI Thrills has a cluster generator, working with separate individual strings. I don't know how flexibly it is, and how accurately it can be controlled.

With small intervals, maybe pitchbending sustaining solo sounds can work. I'm sorry, but i'm still in my own exploration phase, and can't say more about the correct solution.

Paolo

NI Thrills looks interesting indeed. I'm not using the "synthesized" sounds (though they are very cool!) but the orchestral sounds are nice from what I can hear on the demo/walk through videos. How are the X/Y axis gestures recorded in your DAW? (It may be in one of the videos and I just don't remember...)

I'll take a look at Dimension Strings as well, though VSL for the most part is a bit out of my price range!

Thanks ptram.

Cool. I didn't know Symphonic Shadows had the Time Machine for putting things in order! Do the Cage libraries have Time Machine as well? Thanks Haaknod.

Just finished chatting with 8Dio. The Cage and Case libraries do not use Time Machine or TMPro. (I'm learning as I go here! I thought TM was part of the library and not Kontakt! :sick:) And their glissandi aren't pitch/time oriented. As I said in my first post, I realize I'm asking alot. I just want to get all the info I can on currently available libraries in the hopes of finding tools that can realize sounds from written scores as the orchestra/choir did from Pendereki's score in the video I posted. Or better stated, have the "playability" to mock up scores written in this style without hours of programming and searching for work arounds in Kontakt, sample libraries, and DAWs.

We just may not be there yet.

Thanks to all for your help!

Top Bottom