What's new

Give me more Copland (or Americans)

I like music

Hi everyone,

I have been utterly obsessed and laid flat, but Copland (I hadn't really paid much attention to him beforehand). Turns out I can't get enough of that sound.

I don't know how to describe it except for "American" (I know, I know!)

Are there other composers that I can find, who are writing in the same style, harmonic language etc etc?

I found a couple of guys (Joseph Curiale, Peter Boyer) and again, absolutely cannot get enough of this stuff. Any pointers or tips (or even how to describe it) would be amazing.

Bonus points for anyone who can tell me about the musical aspect of what they're doing (orchestrations, conventions, forms etc)

Thanks!!!

First of all - his scores are not that expensive. I would pick up the ballets and the 3rd Symphony. To make a list of the imitators of his mid-century "American" sound would take a long time. There are various biographies available. Basically, if you use Google, you can learn a lot about Copland.

Hi everyone,

I have been utterly obsessed and laid flat, but Copland (I hadn't really paid much attention to him beforehand). Turns out I can't get enough of that sound.

I don't know how to describe it except for "American" (I know, I know!)

Are there other composers that I can find, who are writing in the same style, harmonic language etc etc?

I found a couple of guys (Joseph Curiale, Peter Boyer) and again, absolutely cannot get enough of this stuff. Any pointers or tips (or even how to describe it) would be amazing.

Bonus points for anyone who can tell me about the musical aspect of what they're doing (orchestrations, conventions, forms etc)

Thanks!!!
You might enjoy Daniel Asia's 2nd and 3rd symphonies. Here is a link to the opening of the 3rd. There is some Copland influence.

Some Walter Piston (his Violin Concerto for instance), Ferde Grofe (Grand Canyon Suite), and Howard Hanson share that vibe in some pieces.

As for techniques, look up pandiatonicism. Copland also borrowed a lot from folk tunes.

Last edited:
Some Walter Piston (his Violin Concerto for instance), Ferde Grofe (Grand Canyon Suite), and Howard Hanson share that vibe in some pieces.

As for techniques, look up pandiatonicism. Copland also borrowed a lot from folk tunes.

This is very helpful, thank you! I'll take a look at Piston and Grofe now :)

First of all - his scores are not that expensive. I would pick up the ballets and the 3rd Symphony. To make a list of the imitators of his mid-century "American" sound would take a long time. There are various biographies available. Basically, if you use Google, you can learn a lot about Copland.

Reviving this thread as I'm also interested in learning more about Copland. I head his music every morning in the car as a kid because my Dad had a tape of Appalachian Spring, Rodeo, Billy the Kid and Fanfare stuck in the tape deck. I'm curious how to find scores that match the recordings I'm most familiar with - primarily the Leonard Bernstein ones if possible. Anyone know if these are available? So far my Google searching only comes up with Boosey and Hawkes scores and I'm not sure what recordings these are of. That said, if those are the only ones I can learn to orchestrate any differences from that starting point.

Boosey and Hawkes scores and I'm not sure what recordings these are of.
Composers often revise scores, but Copland was not big on that. The only thing to watch out for is that the original App Spring was for 13 instruments (essentially a pit orchestra for a ballet), while most recordings by major orchestras are for a beefed-up full-orch concert version. You can get either score version from Boosey.

Composers often revise scores, but Copland was not big on that. The only thing to watch out for is that the original App Spring was for 13 instruments (essentially a pit orchestra for a ballet), while most recordings by major orchestras are for a beefed-up full-orch concert version. You can get either score version from Boosey.
Thank you, I had noticed the different versions and wondered which to get. I think the Bernstein recordings are a full-concert version so I'll likely start there. Honestly, they're not so expensive that I couldn't get both but I figure one mock up of App Spring will be more than enough. There's so many great compositions from Copland that if I decide to do two I'll have to consider another one, not just a different arrangement. Cheers!

Wonderful composer... first discovered by me in high school band... French Horn player... brass ensemble... we performed "Fanfare for a Common Man" at a state competition.

John Adams is an obvious one to mention here. His earlier pieces especially come from a similar "American" (Stravinskian?) transparent and open-sounding harmonic world. Seconds, fourths, fifths, lots of pandiatonicism as mentioned above, etc.

In Appalachian Springs, when he takes that "Shaker melody" and gradually ramps it up, I just can't get enough. That alternating rhythmic texture (piano, harp?) is so good, I've had that part on repeat for a few months now.

If it's Aaron Copland you love, then it's really up to you, through personal inspiration, to pick the parts of him that you love, and be able to make it accessible and understandable to the public. In other words, you're kinda more playing curator here, rather than composer, even though you're writing the notes.

John Adams is an obvious one to mention here. His earlier pieces especially come from a similar "American" (Stravinskian?) transparent and open-sounding harmonic world. Seconds, fourths, fifths, lots of pandiatonicism as mentioned above, etc.

For some reason, never really delved into John Adams at all. Will get started on this and see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation.

Top Bottom