What's new

Gigasampler converts adventures

dgburns

software surfer
Hidey Hey Hidey Ho! Gigasampler here we go...

In this lockdown madness, I decided to revisit my old Larry Seyer Drum lib. The one that’s Gigasampler only. Turns out it sounds pretty darn good. So I think to myself... ‘self, you should convert this to kontakt so you can get out of gigasampler land.’

Sounded like a good idea at the time.

Turns out I found out about a few things I didn’t know about before. Converting to kontakt is not so straight forward. Two issues came up. One is something called ‘accelerated waves’, or aka compressed waves, the second and more difficult is the gigapulse convo verb.

I tried every converter I had access to, Translator, Cdxtract, and Exs. Does the new Logic sampler even convert giga anymore? Turns out they all failed because of the compressed wave files. Garth at Translator was ‘kind enough’ to let me know no converter will convert them out. So this meant opening all the giga intruments in the giga editor and batch saving out the audio as non-compressed. All 183 of them. One ... at a ... time. One week later...

Then it came time to try and reverse engineer the room impulse from gigapulse. Not so easy. Impulse response utility from Apple does not appear to record more than one channel at a time. Maybe it’s my Catalina MP2019 system, dunno, but it no workie for me ( and I have used it alot on Past systems with no issues ) The original Larry Seyer drums sound was very much about those inserted room responses, and they sound great. Those cymbals and hats are gold. Better the anything else I have, imho.

So, would be grateful for anyone who knows an app that can record impulse responses, and deconvolve them out to IR files on MAC.

Anyone?

Have you tried running it “natively” in G-Player?
The issue is this: The original instruments were stacked giga instruments with a giga instrument as an overall insert fx, this last instrument was like, say a space designer inserted on a channel strip with the 100% wet impulse response. Larry Seyer went a step further by recording his signal chain which included his outboard gear, and this together made up most of the actual vibe of the sound. You can’t get that on G-Player.
As I converted out the giga instruments, I can rebuild the stacked instruments in Kontakt, but I really need those Impulse responses so I can get the actual same sound that the old giga machine puts out when you load the stacked instruments. It really is a night and day difference. The sound without is alot more lame.

I know this is a bit late in the day for you but

which tells me in "Patch to Patch" conversion:

• GigaSampler Import and Export
  • GigaStudio 1.0/2.0 Import
  • GigaStudio 3.0 Import and Export, full support for accelerated 16-bit and 24-bit files and splitted giga files *.gx01

I know this is a bit late in the day for you but

which tells me in "Patch to Patch" conversion:

• GigaSampler Import and Export
  • GigaStudio 1.0/2.0 Import
  • GigaStudio 3.0 Import and Export, full support for accelerated 16-bit and 24-bit files and splitted giga files *.gx01
That really looks like CDXtract to me. Same gui. I have CDXtract and it didn't deal with the compressed waves. But no matter, as I discovered a work a round.

What I'm really after now is a way to convert out Tascam Gigapulse IR's. Boy not rewarding stuff. I might just give up on it.

That really looks like CDXtract to me. Same gui. I have CDXtract and it didn't deal with the compressed waves. But no matter, as I discovered a work a round.

What I'm really after now is a way to convert out Tascam Gigapulse IR's. Boy not rewarding stuff. I might just give up on it.
I dont think these two are the same product at all --- they just both have generic 1990s interfaces...but if you have a solution I'll shut up.

I dont think these two are the same product at all --- they just both have generic 1990s interfaces...but if you have a solution I'll shut up.
No, hey if they are different I’ll check it out. But I really need to convert out those gigapulse IR’s.

Hi everyone wondering if you got luck with the impulses to finish converting the instrument to modern era i have my giga files in an old disk around

Nope non nada niente bupkis

Larry Seyer made some giga patches just at the end before giga died which baked in those wonderful ir’s. I should have bought them at the time. Don’t think they are available anymore. I think they were called power drums or something. Actually I should snoop around the internets.

But no liftoff for converting the tascam ir’s, it was just too much of a proprietary system.

Use Voxengo Deconvolver, you will need Windows (or I guess something like Winebottler on Mac, etc).

You can generate a test tone with it which you load in GS, then record output from GS with its convolution effect enabled (make sure to have enough of tail when rendering to catch the whole decay tail of the reverb). Then you load that rendered file into Deconvolver and let it do its thing. Bob's your uncle!

Last edited:
Top Bottom