1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gibson Brands ceases development on all Cakewalk products

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by ceemusic, Nov 21, 2017.

1. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    I can see it this way. I will use those funds for my Live 10 upgrade. I need to stop spending money on more DAWs.

2. OP
    OP
    ceemusic

ceemusic Senior Member

Dec 14, 2008
    New York area
    Just a reminder that if you plan on getting Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 that it also requires the USB eLicense + dongle.
    Still using the one original I bought years ago, got it for Tascam's GVI.

3. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    With the Cubase cross grade at $255, I chose to get it. This is really a trivial cost in view of the learning curve and general cost of instruments and effects. This gives me some transition time until a Windows update or the lack of Cakewalk authentication servers disable Sonar.

chillbot likes this.
  4. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    I got someone who sold his DP9.5 for a very nice price - less than the Cubase crossgrade. Else I might've jumped to cubase - but I got an unbeatable price.

5. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
  6. dathyr1

dathyr1 Senior Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi Kitekrazy -- I recently got a couple of great discount coupons from Guitar Center over the past weeks and bought both Ableton Live Suite and today the Push 2. I have always wanted to learn this program for the styles of music I do besides the standard arrangement multitracks in DAW's. Having fun using the Push 2 with Ableton. There are a couple of preference setup questions I have about Ableton, don't know if I can ask them here in one of the categories or find an Ableton forum-have to ask Mike Greene. With getting latest Ableton, I will be getting a free upgrade to version 10 when it arrives.

Thank you Synthpunk for the video talking about Sonar and Gibson. Wasn't aware of Sonicstate.com. Are they like Twit.TV? Have to check out that website. I watch Twit.TV on tech news and PC's.

take care,
    Dave

7. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    That's not a non-commercial license. It's a small business license. You can use it for commercial purposes.

8. OP
    OP
    ceemusic

ceemusic Senior Member

Dec 14, 2008
    New York area
  9. ResSerp

ResSerp Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    From the Cakewalk forum :

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Message-from-Don-Williams-Overture-5-Updated-m3699129.aspx

From Don Williams...

As the creator of Overture, I have been a software developer for over 30 years in the music software industry. Before Overture I wrote Master Tracks Pro and Encore. During this time I have seen several music software companies fold that I was associated with, Gibson being the culprit of two of them.
    I am deeply saddened at Gibson's decision and feel bad for all of the loyal users fo so many years. If you know your Cakewalk history, Overture was published by Cakewalk in 1999-2000. I give you this background, so you'll understand this long post.

NOTE: For the record Sonar's staff view was not spun off into Overture as some have claimed on this forum. Overture was around long before Sonar and even Pro Audio 9.

To start, the people at Cakewalk, Alex, Keith, Noel, etc. worked very hard to make things work, but Gibson crippled their efforts and this is how I know first-hand.

A little over a year ago, Cakewalk approached me with the idea of putting better notation in Sonar. At that time, I told them my schedule was full for the next six months putting out fires from a newly released version of Overture 5. I had spent five years rewriting old code and due to the major rewrite, there were many issues to deal with.

Last spring two of us flew to Boston to meet with Cakewalk to worked out a deal to put very, very, good notation is Sonar and add some of my upcoming products in the Cakewalk store. The notation would contain 80% of what Overture can do and was to have full integration with Sonar. We agreed to terms, everybody walked away happy, and Cakewalk presented the deal to Gibson. After a month or so, Gibson turned it down, claiming they would have too much financial liability. After the disappointment, I met with a Cakewalk person at Summer NAMM and I agreed to worked out a new deal limiting Gibson's liability. Cakewalk liked the new deal and all of us were very excited, thinking Gibson will not turn down the new terms. To our shock Gibson said no. Cakewalk knew the importance of the deal to Sonar and was left feeling helpless. I felt bad for the guys at Cakewalk and on my own decided to help Cakewalk by offering to put a free light version in Sonar at no cost to Cakewalk or Gibson and we would sell an upgrade that provided full notation for a very small price. This was a no brainer, right. Guess what! Nothing ever happened, and I even have an alpha version working.

To move on, after reading your posts and I want to say that I understand your frustrations. I know that money is a huge concern for most musicians and having to switch to a new DAW is a very big decision. After talking to a long time Cakewalk person yesterday it was suggested that I write a post and make an offer that may help.

Right now, we are having an Epic sale through December 1st of Overture 5 for $75. This low price is in no way a reflection of problems here and Sonic Scores is not in financial trouble and I have always believed in affordable prices for good software. In fact, next year will be my best year in twenty-five years. If any of you Sonar users would like to purchase Overture 5, I will make an offer to you for $50. This is not a subscription price and is the full version.

If you have not looked at Overture 5, it is a DAW like/Notation hybrid. Within the next year we plan to add audio tracks. We release a new update everyone to three months and always include new features that were requested by the users. As for your Sonar files there is not much I can do until the audio tracks are implemented but you can export your scores as a MusicXML and import them into Overture if they contain MIDI tracks.

I apologize for the long-winded post but really wanted to you to know it hurts to see such a good company killed by gross mismanagement and that it is no way a reflection of Cakewalks’ personnel.

(EDITED: Follow the link on the forum post for the store and code. I deleted it in this copy of the post because I didn't want to break forum rules.)

Thanks for listening,
    Don Williams

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  10. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    This is quite nice of Don. I got Overture 5 with some group buy a couple of months ago.

Man, that would've been exciting to incorporate in Sonar - but well - things change.

To be fair - even though I hate using Facebook too much, I chime in every once in a while to check what's up. There have been some complaints about Don in the past, no communication for a long time after breaking updates, leading people to ask if the Facebook user group was essentially dead (which caught some reaction, but I don't think Don himself is a member of it).
    Evan Evans is a big supporter and seems to be in personal contact with Don and seems to be a kind of driving force behind it. Most Facebook User Group complaints/Bug reports or question are being answered by him, and he seems to relay a lot to Don.

You can think of that what you will, but I thought this is useful information in this context.

I haven't tested Overture 5 throughout (Notion gives me mostly what I need), it shows potential, so for $50 it's a steal - even if you just put it on a harddrive and forget about it for a couple of months and check back. Evan claimed to have used it for project work, others were disappointed in it.

That's all ;)

11. Byron

Byron Member

Jun 15, 2016
    The guy you need and need to talk to is Noel Borthwick. He is the CTO and the lead developer. He is very accessible and an all around great guy.

You would need someone from the inside. From what I heard Gibson is not really speaking to anyone about it. Noel would be a major asset and would be your guy on the inside who may be able to get you through to Gibson.

chillbot likes this.
  12. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Noel has said he has no idea and it's out of his hands. Gibson is the only one who really has any idea what is going on and they are remaining quiet.

chillbot likes this.
  13. Byron

Byron Member

Jun 15, 2016
    Wow. That’s sad. I mean he was CTO. You would think they would keep him in the loop. I guess they just really wanted to nuke it. Or maybe they’ll eventually sell it off.

As far as consumer electronics focus, I saw a promo ad with Armin Van Buuren and some philips headphones. Gibson seems a bit late to the party, it’s pretty saturated.

Gibson reminds me of that person who shows up to your dinner party 2 hours late and complaining there’s no more food and the booze is gone.

It’s funny I found my original cakewalk 3.5” floppies from like 1994 with Greg Hendershott’s name on it. I decided to keep them (they even work).

14. Mystic

Mystic Senior Member

Sep 29, 2013
    What will happen is that Philips will release these consumer grade headphones, pay a lot of money into someone (Armin) to promo them, not sell a whole lot of them and then eventually admit defeat by closing the company... whether this happens before or after Gibson collapses and has to file Chapter 11 is the real question. heh

15. Daisser

Daisser Senior Member

Feb 1, 2016
    I was really sad to hear this, I'm an amatuer composer and really liked Sonar but this forces a switch. Many people are worried about a Windows update putting an end to Sonar but I'm more worried about a Kontakt, Play, Swarm, or other player sampler update doing Sonar in. You can get by for a long time without a Windows update but many libraries require the newest player version.

Logically I feel Cubase is the option to have to choose as I'm a VI person but $579 and you can't download it... ugh. I hear a lot of Sonar Users talk about Studio One but don't know much about it. I have Reaper and used in the past but wasn't a fan of its MIDI capabilities at the time... thoughts?

16. rrichard63

rrichard63 Perpetual Novice

Nov 17, 2013
    San Francisco Bay Area
    If you haven't updated Reaper in a while, you should do so, and try it again. It seems to be growing faster than any other DAW. And a lot of its disadvantages are related to the learning curve, which you may have already climbed.

There is a free teaser version of Studio One. It isn't adequate for doing real work, but might give you a good idea of the workflow and some of the features. You would have to pay close attention to the version comparison on the Presonus website, though, in order to know what you are missing.

17. Daisser

Daisser Senior Member

Feb 1, 2016
    Very True on reaper. I setup Reamenus to fix the odd menu layout and liked the app because it was lean and fast (never crashed). I switched mostly because of the lack of a notation editor which I believe they have since added.

18. jms4th

jms4th Member

Jan 12, 2018
    I have never forgiven Gibson for what they did to Opcode. And the saga continues... That company is like the planet-stealing aliens in 'Independence Day'. They just move from one world to another draining it of resources until it is a depleted shell... over and over again.

19. jms4th

jms4th Member

Jan 12, 2018
    I wonder if they didn't just sell the source code?... I don't believe they are passionately committed to anything having to do with sequencers or DAWs. Not since my beloved Opcode Vision got squashed by Gibson.

20. jms4th

jms4th Member

Jan 12, 2018
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. Sibelius user here, but ready to jump to the first product <= Sibelius complexity and limitations. Don't like Avid ever since they cynically stuck it to NuBus users back in the day.