What's new

Getting sleepy while sitting at the computer composing

So for some time now, I’ve noticed that I’m getting more and more sleepy when composing. This leads to more breaks and I usually can’t work for very long before I need to step away from the computer. Feels like I’m falling asleep sometimes at the screen. I would say this happens more during the day than later at night.

I’m still quite young, I exercise regularly and I’m currently in my best shape ever. I eat well etc.

Does anyone have the same problem and do you deal with it/solve it.
Thanks!
do you sleep well at night? I experience the same thing, especially after lunch or dinner. But ive recently found I have really bad sleep, waking up anywhere from 6-8 times a night. Im doing a sleep study in the next 2 weeks to hopefully solve it and get back on track, but boy is it exhausting. I hate napping so I avoid it.

do you sleep well at night? I experience the same thing, especially after lunch or dinner. But ive recently found I have really bad sleep, waking up anywhere from 6-8 times a night. Im doing a sleep study in the next 2 weeks to hopefully solve it and get back on track, but boy is it exhausting. I hate napping so I avoid it.
I'd be interested to hear about the results of that study and if/how it helped you.

I'd be interested to hear about the results of that study and if/how it helped you.
yeah totally! me too haha, I was pretty excited to hear that it could be a sleep disorder because for the longest time I thought that it was just the way it was, or I was getting older or something. The last time I can recall getting a good nights sleep and feeling rested and energized the next day was maybe 7-8 years ago.

@Andrajas I'm reviving this thread because I have found the cure to my sudden onset of yawning and feeling tired/drowsy while working behind the computer.

To go short: I bought a carbon monoxide detector to make sure I work in a well-ventilated environment. Although it's perfectly safe to work in a room with a CO2 level of up to 1000 PPM, I noticed I get very yawny once the meter indicates 800 PPM.

No problem: Get up, stretch your legs, open a window and drink some water. Within minutes, you're good to continue working. Having a constant supply of fresh air (e.g. window ajar) helps keeping the values close to 400PPM.
Thanks for the recommendation. This sounds interesting, might be worth experimenting with. Have you ever tried measuring how the levels change while you sleep?

yeah totally! me too haha, I was pretty excited to hear that it could be a sleep disorder because for the longest time I thought that it was just the way it was, or I was getting older or something. The last time I can recall getting a good nights sleep and feeling rested and energized the next day was maybe 7-8 years ago.
Sounds very familiar! Will you be checked with some take-home device or do you have to sleep at some other place than usual? The fear of the later is what always made think it's pointless to have my sleep professionally examined because whenever I sleep somewhere else I have comically bad sleep quality. Like for example I've had a night at a hotel where I only slept 1 hour and lay awake the rest of the night. And that was without having cables strapped to me and feeling like I'm being watched. I can't imagine sleeping at all under "lab conditions". But afaik the tech has come a fair bit farther and they can do more measurements with take home devices now.

Age is a factor too, regarding evergy level and endurance. For most of my life, I've been a night owl who basically thrived on just 5 hours of sleep a night. But as I moved thru my 50s and recently entered my 60s, I've noticed a sharp reduction in my ability to stay up late anymore. Nowadays, I find the morning hours to be my most productive and creative - something I would've considered unthinkable in my youth!

So listen to your body. Maybe there are other times during the day or night when your mind and body have more stamina and energy.

Thanks for the recommendation. This sounds interesting, might be worth experimenting with. Have you ever tried measuring how the levels change while you sleep?

I have: With the window ajar and the door to the bedroom closed, the PPM value remained between 520 and 650, which is well in the green zone.

(I like to sleep with a cracked window in the bleak of winter, so it should be fine in a few months, too)

Sounds very familiar! Will you be checked with some take-home device or do you have to sleep at some other place than usual? The fear of the later is what always made think it's pointless to have my sleep professionally examined because whenever I sleep somewhere else I have comically bad sleep quality. Like for example I've had a night at a hotel where I only slept 1 hour and lay awake the rest of the night. And that was without having cables strapped to me and feeling like I'm being watched. I can't imagine sleeping at all under "lab conditions". But afaik the tech has come a fair bit farther and they can do more measurements with take home devices now.
I did an at home sleep test, but I was told that that only really tests for severe sleep apnea and most of the time cannot pickup mild sleep apnea or any other type of sleep disorder. So mine came back inconclusive. Ill be doing an in person one soon where they monitor brain waves and all that stuff. A friend of mine did it and he said they give you a sleeping pill if you have insomnia or have trouble sleeping outside of home. I probably will need that as even with the at home one, there were a bunch of wires I put on myself and a device, it was super uncomfortable and I woke up a lot just from that lol.

Having re-read this thread I'd like to re-iterate that apart from the obviously most important part - getting enough sleep - what really cured my chronic tiredness was to have a long hard look at my diet, and make permanent healthy changes towards stabilising my blood sugar throughout the day. It made a profound difference in my life, and yes, I still enjoy a beer and a burger, just less often, which means I enjoy it more when I do have it. Most things we do are habit based, and as time went on I noticed that what I craved when I was hungry was healthy food, instead of the junk I used to crave - because it gives me energy instead of robbing me of it. As Penn Jilette put it, "I still eat what I want, but what I want has changed".

Just throwing it out there in case it can help someone else.

Top Bottom