What's new

Getting sleepy while sitting at the computer composing

Andrajas

So for some time now, I’ve noticed that I’m getting more and more sleepy when composing. This leads to more breaks and I usually can’t work for very long before I need to step away from the computer. Feels like I’m falling asleep sometimes at the screen. I would say this happens more during the day than later at night.

I’m still quite young, I exercise regularly and I’m currently in my best shape ever. I eat well etc.

Does anyone have the same problem and do you deal with it/solve it.
Thanks!

Do you actually ENJOY what you're doing? Sounds like you're bored. For me, it's the opposite. I'm so concentrated I forget to take breaks.
Could it be that you approach composing as something tedious/obligatory?

Last edited:
So for some time now, I’ve noticed that I’m getting more and more sleepy when composing. This leads to more breaks and I usually can’t work for very long before I need to step away from the computer. Feels like I’m falling asleep sometimes at the screen. I would say this happens more during the day than later at night.

I’m still quite young, I exercise regularly and I’m currently in my best shape ever. I eat well etc.

Thanks!
This may sounds really obvious, but are you sure you're getting enough fresh air in that room?

Do you actually ENJOY what you're doing? Sounds like you're bored. For me, it's the opposite. I'm so concentrated I forget to take breaks.
Could it be that you approach composing as something tedious/obligatory?
Of course I do :) I mean , somedays are more fun than others depending on the task, but never do I feel like , damn this is so boring. But I understand your point tho.

This may sounds really obvious, but are you sure you're getting enough fresh air in that room?
Hmm why didn't I think of that? sound indeed obvious. I sit in a small apartment, it makes sense that it doesn't get enough fresh air. Will try open my windows more often to see :)

I walk around while listening and move as much as I can. And it's good to avoid a dark background behind/around the screen. Screen light is very tiering.
good tips! will apply that as well! thanks!

Do you use headphones? I can't wear my snoozerphones without zzzzz.... fuzzy little soft ear pillows so cozy.

And on a separate note, mild dehydration can make you quite sleepy, making sure you drink plenty of water helps stay alert. And with the latency you need to drink the water 30-60 minutes before you are getting tired.

Do you use headphones? I can't wear my snoozerphones without zzzzz.... fuzzy little soft ear pillows so cozy.

And on a separate note, mild dehydration can make you quite sleepy, making sure you drink plenty of water helps stay alert. And with the latency you need to drink the water 30-60 minutes before you are getting tired.
Hehe yes, I use headphones!

thanks for the tip, will try drinking more water as well :)

Thanks!

Yeah I can relate. There are a hand full of tasks, composing or sounddesign being among them, that will eventually trigger a sudden and unusually intense fatigue for me. Not at all related to boredom, if anything it's from being slightly overwhelmed. And it's really sudden compared to normal ways of getting tired/sleepy. Nothing except taking a break seems to help. In general I can recommend a light therapy lamp next to your screen (not fully cranked, more like if there was a window with indirect light), to be a bit more awake and not get seasonal affective disorder in low-light environments. But it doesn't help against this kind of fatigue.

Has anyone ever heard of this?:

I was wondering if this might be related. But with all those citation needed/unreliable comments on the page, I'm not sure how far this is reaching into pseudo science territory.

Thanks!
Standing desks are in trend now, throw in a thread mill and you'll get both productive and fit at the same time...

This happens to me as well . Though i am on a few medications. I know exactly what you mean.

A couple of things to look at- your sleep - You could have Sleep Apnea (easily fixable) or a remote possibility of Diabetes , probably type 1.

Get them checked to rule them out, I am not trying to scare you, it is probably not diabetes - but these are the things to look at if you find it happening alot.

Do you drink alot of Diet Soda / Cola etc ?

How many hours do you sleep, do you drink alcohol, smoke weed or drink coffee later in the day?

7,5 hours of sleep should be the absolute minimum, along with no alcohol, weed or coffee at least 6 hours before you go to bed. If you're still getting sleepy, see the doctor.

Yeah, this happens to me when I have to read/study things I don't care about but *have* to do. It's why I can't finish an education, I simply can't focus on any such things without literally falling asleep. It's not boring, it's just sleep-inducing. Fun fact, I can study code while walking on a treadmill and still lose consciousness.

In my case it has zero to do with time spent sleeping, air, exercise or whatever and there's nothing I can do short of use drugs to stop it from happening. As that's not an option, frequent walks it is.

I sincerely hope this isn't the case with you, as that would mean the act of composing is of itself sleep-inducing to you. If so, I suggest seeking out a doctor or experimenting by yourself. Maybe change up the way you work.

EDIT: Holy hell Martin, that's really interesting. Very relatable.

Last edited:
To clarify, Im not taking any drugs, drinking much alcohol, I drink some coffee of course but no crazy amount. Sleep is very inconsistent. Definitely more toward 6 hours , but more during weekend if needed. As I said, I'm in good shape, definitely not overweight and I'm working out in the gym. Like 12 % body fat.

My guess after this thread is probably the air in my room. When I think about it, it could improve. So I'm gonna work on that. If I still have issues, I may have to seek help .

But I'm not to worried as for now.

To clarify, Im not taking any drugs, drinking much alcohol, I drink some coffee of course but no crazy amount. Sleep is very inconsistent. Definitely more toward 6 hours , but more during weekend if needed. As I said, I'm in good shape, definitely not overweight and I'm working out in the gym. Like 12 % body fat.

My guess after this thread is probably the air in my room. When I think about it, it could improve. So I'm gonna work on that. If I still have issues, I may have to seek help .

But I'm not to worried as for now.
6 hours isn't enough (except for when you have a very, very rare gene), and you can't make up for it during the weekend, sleep doesn't work that way.
So basically you're constantly sleep deprived during the week.

6 hours isn't enough (except for when you have a very, very rare gene), and you can't make up for it during the weekend, sleep doesn't work that way.
So basically you're constantly sleep deprived during the week.
Maybe you know more about this than me, but if I feel its easier to get up from bed with 6 hours sleep rather than 7,5-8 hours, its still an issue?

Top Bottom