Getting full orchestra from one developer vs. multiple developers

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by musicalweather, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    My impression is that if your OCD makes you look for consistency, Spitfire may be a misguided move. Nobody beats VSL consistency.

2. KEM

KEM Senior Member

Mar 31, 2018
    St. Louis, MO
    But their prices... those can certainly be beat haha.

3. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Not by Spitfire. And $50 single instruments? Entire sections with the most necessary articulations for $100? I disagree.

DoctorGuitar007 and kitekrazy like this.
  4. KEM

KEM Senior Member

Mar 31, 2018
    St. Louis, MO
    Isn’t their player very expensive? I’m not well versed in the VSL stuff, but I do know that the quality is very high. But I’ve only heard that they’re stuff is very expensive.

5. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    I tend to buy different libraries from different developers and mix them, so that I'm not stuck in a particular ecosystem. That said, some of the libraries are hard to mix with others. Some combinations work, others don't. I also personally tend to wait for sales and build my library piece by piece. Otherwise it's too easy to go broke.

6. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    No the player is free unless you go with their Pro players. Their software is incredible. You can make your VSL libraries as expensive as you want. I stick with the SE editions. The drawback to VSL is if your dongle is lost you pay 50% of your licenses.

7. kitekrazy

kitekrazy Senior Member

Dec 23, 2008
    They also do a sale every month. If anyone wants to make a small risk trying VSL, Perc. & More SE is cheap.

8. KEM

KEM Senior Member

Mar 31, 2018
    St. Louis, MO
    Yeah that sucks, I’d rather not buy another usb hub, or a bigger one than I already have.

9. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    If you use Cubase, it's the same dongle

Casiquire likes this.
  10. KEM

KEM Senior Member

Mar 31, 2018
    St. Louis, MO
    Oh then that’s great!!

11. ctsai89

ctsai89 Poem of Ecstasy

Oct 4, 2016
    And nobody beats Vsl synthy lol jk

12. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    Lol! Depending on the product, sometimes. I'd say less synthy and more lacking in expression compared to the competition. I go with their strings if I want them to sound precise, clinical, or brutal, and with a bit of work I can squeeze a lot of expression out of them but to be fair it's nowhere near as easy as some other libraries (in my case, LASS). Most of their other libraries are unbeatable, especially the woods, and they've sampled a lot of instruments nobody else has.

13. reutunes

reutunes Senior Member

May 1, 2012
    I think that it's usually a solid idea to get your core instruments recorded in the same space, whether that be Air Studios (Spitfire), Sony Pictures Scoring Stage (Cinesamples) or EastWest Studios (Hollywood Orchestra). It is possible and usually pretty easy to use multiple mic positions in various libraries to approximate the same recording space but not as easy as just combining libraries that were recorded in the same space to begin with.

For anyone that's starting from scratch, the entire Hollywood Orchestra collection from EastWest is currently discounted by 60% (the best discount I can recall) so that could be a good sandbox to begin with.

Dewdman42 likes this.
  14. ctsai89

ctsai89 Poem of Ecstasy

Oct 4, 2016
    Exactly. Well it's also easy to get diff libraries and mix them to about 90% perfection. But the last 10% is perhaps an eternal trial and error kind of process lol. Rather not go through it.

Some libraries though, and I heard about Hollywood woodwinds have some of the volumes mixed wrong. Spitfire also had the problem but I believe they updated it to fix it.

15. jgbsound

jgbsound New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    One way to mix multiple libraries is to add a light dusting of the same reverb to all the libraries in varying degrees until they sound pretty close. There's a tutorial up on Spitfire's website that details how they do the same thing. I use VSL, Spitfire, Omnisphere, Keyspace, etc etc etc all together in my compositions and have had good success thus far.

16. WhiteNoiz

WhiteNoiz ';...;'

Jun 20, 2012
    Dude, your post is appreciated and all, but please disclose it's a referral link. Wasn't there a discussion some time ago about this? Will have to look it up.

Any direct (official) source on that? I remember some posts some time ago (some of yours too) about SF solo brass reaching louder levels than sections and stuff like that. Though not sure if it ever was determined if it was actual dynamic layers or gain/volume? As far as I know, the only libraries that are volume matched are the OT/Berlin ones.

http://www.orchestraltools.com/downloads/user_guides/CAPSULE User Guide BBR Main.pdf

(I suspect this is SF's approach at the base level)

(I guess dynamic range interpretation can vary, even if slightly, across different sections/musicians and sessions of actual recordings)

As far as the actual question is concerned, some stuff will mix, some will not. I think you generally can't tell if you expend some effort to try to sit the instrument (mainly EQ/reverb/volume and maybe careful panning or stereo channel/width reduction), unless you actually want something to stick out. It's all about (spatial and creative) perspective. Also, layering can generally increase realism/detail/liveliness/expression/musicality (whatever you wanna call it) and add some nuance/randomness even if it's not perfectly matched, so there's that, too.

Also, pretty sure EastWest stuff is already processed, so you'll prob still have to EQ/volume balance and add reverb. I don't think it's volume matched anyhow.

( https://vi-control.net/community/th...f-the-room-without-reverb.57506/#post-4019789 )

Here, directly from the manual:
    http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/docs/EW-QL_Hollywood-Strings-Gold_Manual.pdf

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  17. Rohann

Rohann Professional Forum Browser

Feb 2, 2017
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    That's so bloody annoying. Why would you not volume match when building sections of a full orchestra? Why would the default not already be engineered to be able to drop into a template and use without having to mix as if they're libraries from different manufacturers?

miket and Casiquire like this.
  18. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I've always wondered this too.

19. Studio E

Studio E Eric Watkins

I couldn't agree with this more. I think it comes down to having some basic mixing skills as well. I little Eq. third party reverb, and maybe a bit of glue on the 2-buss can do wonders. By glue I mainly mean saturation from a few character plug-ins like Compressors, Tape emulators, or the like.

halfwalk likes this.
  20. rJames

rJames Senior Member

Aug 27, 2004
    OC CA
    It takes time. That’s why they don’t do it. So annoying.

Rohann and Casiquire like this.