What's new

Gearslutz Has Decided to Change Its Name

No offence taken. Very few people discover polka music at a later age and begin following it. It just doesn't work that way. You have to be born into the music to have the oompah in your blood.

It can be. It's a common misconception, though, that polka music prioritizes fun over finesse. That's because of the schtick stigma attached to it. There are some polka bands out there that push the schtick, because the schtick is what sells to the general public. But when catering to true polka aficionados like those you'd find attending a polka fest, schtick doesn't get a lot of love. Finesse does. So in that respect, playing polka music live is very enjoyable, but no more or less enjoyable than when blues, rock, or country musicians get together to play.

Thank you! :)

I feel bad that this thread got hi-jacked (my fault) so if anyone wants a little more polka music insight, feel free to PM me.

Congratulations to GearSpace for coming up with an innocuous yet perfectly appropriate new name.
It's okay with me. I was kind of over the whole Gearslutz/space discussion a long time ago. :rolleyes: ;)

Since my posting this update on Meg Lee Chin's story got taken down from the other thread here and I have also been "removed" from all discussions over at Gearslutz for merely quoting a poster querying why all mentions of her story had been disappeared - even though it is on Wikipedia and is a matter of court record, I'm just posting this here to see how long it lasts.

https://gearwarz.megleechin.com/node/4

Since my posting this update on Meg Lee Chin's story got taken down from the other thread here and I have also been "removed" from all discussions over at Gearslutz for merely quoting a poster querying why all mentions of her story had been disappeared - even though it is on Wikipedia and is a matter of court record, I'm just posting this here to see how long it lasts.

https://gearwarz.megleechin.com/node/4
I'm kind of confused over the whole thing. What is the point of bringing up this case? I mean, shitty business practices are valid, and maybe they were motivated by a lack of respect for women at the time...and she seems to imply she thought the name was shitty then...but their lawsuit is 10 years old(?) what are we supposed to gather from this? Is it meant to imply that the current change of name is lacking in sincerity? meant to tarnish the name of the current owner? I mean...I don't care if that is the case, but it'd be nice to have a clearer idea of what we're supposed to do with this information.

I'm kind of confused over the whole thing. What is the point of bringing up this case? I mean, shitty business practices are valid, and maybe they were motivated by a lack of respect for women at the time...and she seems to imply she thought the name was shitty then...but their lawsuit is 10 years old(?) what are we supposed to gather from this? Is it meant to imply that the current change of name is lacking in sincerity? meant to tarnish the name of the current owner? I mean...I don't care if that is the case, but it'd be nice to have a clearer idea of what we're supposed to do with this information.
It's not that I disagree with you. But given that her information is a matter of public record and given that Gearslutz is happy to host 3 very long threads of people chuntering over the name change, I am truly puzzled at the way in which merely referring to the case leads, in her case on Muffwiggler, in my case (and my single post on GS didn't directly refer to it) there and here to get 'disappeared' .
I do find the systematic silencing odd and I don't feel it reflects well on the transparency of the British music industry and the inclusivity that the name change is supposed to give.

It's not that I disagree with you. But given that her information is a matter of public record and given that Gearslutz is happy to host 3 very long threads of people chuntering over the name change, I am truly puzzled at the way in which merely referring to the case leads, in her case on Muffwiggler, in my case (and my single post on GS didn't directly refer to it) there and here do get 'disappeared'.
I have no vested interests but I do find the systematic silencing odd and it does not reflect well on the transparency of the British music industry and the inclusivity that the name change is supposed to give.
ah ok, so this is more about the business on the whole? I honestly don't know. Her posts seems to imply that there are factors that cant be discussed openly. It's a very common and shitty part of the music business. I can only imagine that if there are matters that cant be talked about openly by both parties, it would be not in the interest of gearspace to encourage discussion of that matter on their forum. I'm not sure why it would be removed from VI-control thought

Similarly great to see Muffwiggler modular synth forum has changed its name to Modwiggler

How Muffwiggler got its tone deaf name:
https://bluestockingsmag.com/2014/04/17/muff-wiggler-sexism-in-audio-cultures/

Since my posting this update on Meg Lee Chin's story got taken down from the other thread here ...
I am truly puzzled at the way in which merely referring to the case leads, in her case on Muffwiggler, in my case (and my single post on GS didn't directly refer to it) there and here to get 'disappeared' .
It shouldn't be that much of a mystery why your post got "disappeared" here. You posted it in a thread where I clearly prefaced the title with: "Women Only."

Similarly great to see Muffwiggler modular synth forum has changed its name to Modwiggler

How Muffwiggler got its tone deaf name:
https://bluestockingsmag.com/2014/04/17/muff-wiggler-sexism-in-audio-cultures/
May I be the first to exclaim, "ZOMG!!! ITZ POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GAWN MAAAAD!!!".

;)

Other male posts not deleted; I added no editorial, linked to follow up post by woman already cited.
And you'll see several posts from me in that same thread explaining the situation, including why I deleted over a hundred other men's posts, not just yours.

This post is simply too whiny to tolerate, so I'm giving Mark a timeout for a few days.

so i we’re post name change...and the world hasn’t burned to the ground....at least no more than usual....can we agree that ultimately this was not a big deal for us?

Top Bottom