Gear You Regret Buying?

Heinigoldstein

1]
Many years ago, shortly after world war II I bought a PPG Wave 2 for nearly 11.000.- Deutsch Marks. It was supposed to be the heart of their upcoming big system (don‘t remember the name). Half a year later, they announced the Wave 2.2 and stated, that the Wave 2 will not be able to operate the system. I was even lucky to be able to sell it for half the price after one year.
2)
5 Years later, I bought a Sequential Circuit Studio 440 for around 8.000.- DM. It was a sequencer, SMPTE synchronizer and Sampler. An all in one wonder machine.....that did not work in real life at all. It crashed on nearly every studio job I was booked, a total disaster !

Fredeke

The DSI Tempest: a wonderful live instrument, but not really suited for studio work. One reason is the individual outputs are hard mapped to synth voices, instead of instruments. Voice assignation is tricky at best, and comes with limitations.

Great for performance, though - but I wasn't good at playing it.

Stringtree

A Behringer Powerplay Pro-8 headphone distribution amplifier that I traded something for. The pots are dirty, and they're glued in. What a mess. Nice I/O but this is a terrible situation. Yuck.

A Sennheiser MD441-U that sounds like a cheap telephone. I've narrowed it down to a capsule problem and will take it apart to avoid the horrible service charge. I suspect it was dropped by the delivery company.

Greg

The only problem I ever had with any NI hardware was that damn audio interface of theirs. Worst purchase ever.

The only other regret I have is that I bought a Theremini on impulse. I used it once and its been sitting in the closet ever since. One day I promise I’ll get around to using it!
Hey, I'm just curious about your experience with the Theremini. This is something I'm interested in, primarily for controlling CC parameters for strings, etc. Was anything in particular that you found was more cumbersome then you were expecting? Or was it a learning curve thing? Thanks!

Last edited:

tav.one

Life is Good
NI Maschine
Other than some interesting instagram posts and impressing the prospective clients with its lights it has not got much use here.

HeliaVox

Hey, I'm just curious about your experience with the Theremini. This is something I'm interested in, primarily for controlling CC parameters for strings, etc. Was anything in particular that you found was more cumbersome then you were expecting? Or was it a learning curve thing? Thanks!
I play piano, keyboard, woodwinds, voice, and guitar. I've taken lessons on french horn, viola, cello, and various percussion.
NOTHING I've learned has prepared me for playing the Theremini.
So, yes, there is a learning curve, lol.

I don't use midi or cv on the unit, but from reading the manual, the cv out can be set to 5 or 10v and the pitch antenna can be set to a variety of MIDI cc #.
It uses a 2.0 mini B port for MIDI communications.

The only thing cumbersome about it, is the learning curve of a new instrument.
If you are looking only to control cc parameters, there are many more affordable units on the market, because it's more an instrument than a MIDI controller.