Gear You Regret Buying?

Heinigoldstein

1]
Many years ago, shortly after world war II I bought a PPG Wave 2 for nearly 11.000.- Deutsch Marks. It was supposed to be the heart of their upcoming big system (don‘t remember the name). Half a year later, they announced the Wave 2.2 and stated, that the Wave 2 will not be able to operate the system. I was even lucky to be able to sell it for half the price after one year.
2)
5 Years later, I bought a Sequential Circuit Studio 440 for around 8.000.- DM. It was a sequencer, SMPTE synchronizer and Sampler. An all in one wonder machine.....that did not work in real life at all. It crashed on nearly every studio job I was booked, a total disaster !

Fredeke

The DSI Tempest: a wonderful live instrument, but not really suited for studio work. One reason is the individual outputs are hard mapped to synth voices, instead of instruments. Voice assignation is tricky at best, and comes with limitations.

Great for performance, though - but I wasn't good at playing it.

Stringtree

A Behringer Powerplay Pro-8 headphone distribution amplifier that I traded something for. The pots are dirty, and they're glued in. What a mess. Nice I/O but this is a terrible situation. Yuck.

A Sennheiser MD441-U that sounds like a cheap telephone. I've narrowed it down to a capsule problem and will take it apart to avoid the horrible service charge. I suspect it was dropped by the delivery company.

Greg

The only problem I ever had with any NI hardware was that damn audio interface of theirs. Worst purchase ever.

The only other regret I have is that I bought a Theremini on impulse. I used it once and its been sitting in the closet ever since. One day I promise I’ll get around to using it!
Hey, I'm just curious about your experience with the Theremini. This is something I'm interested in, primarily for controlling CC parameters for strings, etc. Was anything in particular that you found was more cumbersome then you were expecting? Or was it a learning curve thing? Thanks!

Last edited:

HeliaVox

Hey, I'm just curious about your experience with the Theremini. This is something I'm interested in, primarily for controlling CC parameters for strings, etc. Was anything in particular that you found was more cumbersome then you were expecting? Or was it a learning curve thing? Thanks!
I play piano, keyboard, woodwinds, voice, and guitar. I've taken lessons on french horn, viola, cello, and various percussion.
NOTHING I've learned has prepared me for playing the Theremini.
So, yes, there is a learning curve, lol.

I don't use midi or cv on the unit, but from reading the manual, the cv out can be set to 5 or 10v and the pitch antenna can be set to a variety of MIDI cc #.
It uses a 2.0 mini B port for MIDI communications.

The only thing cumbersome about it, is the learning curve of a new instrument.
If you are looking only to control cc parameters, there are many more affordable units on the market, because it's more an instrument than a MIDI controller.

BWG

Akai S6000 Sampler, spaffed a stupid amount of money on it with the massive(!) internal hard drive (which is probably now smaller than my studio computers RAM) only to accept that I despised using it after 2 months. I sold it for very close to what I'd paid for it and spent the entire time I was dealing with the guy who bought it convinced my mates were winding me up. I couldn't believe anyone else would be stupid enough to part with cash for it.

shponglefan

Collector of sample libraries
I think my biggest regret is the Elektron AnalogKeys. While I'm generally a fan of Elektron's gear, I just didn't click with the Keys. Its feature set is great, but I never liked the sound. Too narrow a sweet spot and I just couldn't get it to sound how I wanted. Especially in the higher frequency range, it just doesn't sound that good.

Fredeke

I was disappointed with all the monitor controllers I bought.

I considered all models under $600 (because $600 is already far too much for a monitor controller, in my opinion), and tried all with 3 inputs and 3 outputs, which is what I need.

Here's the chronological story of my disappointment:

- Mackie Big Knob Studio+ : was great but the knob started crackling after a year or two, and then it suddenly died on me right when the warranty was over. Since I wasn't going to reward them by buying the same one again, I then tried the...

- Palmer Monicon XL : great features and controls, but unusable because the clickless buttons are apparently read by a cpu that can only read one at a time - so it's impossible to mute one pair of speakers and activate another simultaneously. Same with inputs: No A/B compare is ever possible. Also it was impossible to adjust the input or output gains to get everything at a consistent level. Completely useless.

- Behringer Control2USB : outstanding features! Everything you'd want is there. And it's twice cheaper than the second cheapest one. Of course there's a tradeoff, and that tradeoff is that components' quality is shit: The knob started crackling all the way after only a couple of weeks - and not a little. The sound is not very transparent (the distortion sounds good actually - too good for serious monitoring). I expect it to die in the next few months, but for such a cheap price, I don't mind. Mechanically, the connectors seem rather sturdy, so there's at least that. Anyway, that's what I'm stuck with.

Unless someone has a better suggestion?

PS: Regarding Mackie and Palmer monitor controllers, I must say the passive versions are excellent. Alas, I need the features of an active one for the studio.

Last edited:

Fredeke

Akai S6000 Sampler, spaffed a stupid amount of money on it with the massive(!) internal hard drive (which is probably now smaller than my studio computers RAM) only to accept that I despised using it after 2 months. I sold it for very close to what I'd paid for it and spent the entire time I was dealing with the guy who bought it convinced my mates were winding me up. I couldn't believe anyone else would be stupid enough to part with cash for it.
When was that? Recently? Because I would agree with you by today's standards. But back in the days when it was released, I purchased the S5000 (which is basically the S6000 in a simpler chassis) and I loved it! It was my 3rd sampler (after a Roland S330 and an Akai S1000) and by far the best and easiest to use.

Last edited:

Sly

the Boss GT5 effects unit (good product) for guitar, but only because it dropped in value and was superseded within a short period of time by way more inexpensive versions.
I love my GT5, bought it when they came out Full of analogue opamp goodness and I think also bucket brigade chips (need to check the latter). I gigged with mine back in the day, as did Johnny Marr. Now I don't use it so much but it is always around. I also put my old 1970s Kawai synth through it if I want to add a bit of delay or reverb, sounds great! It also does some more far out stuff that is fun (space echo setting for example lol!)

dgburns

summer of pickles and IPA beer
- The Mackie Big Knob Studio+ monitor controller died on me just after the warranty was over. Before that, the knob was beginning to crackle.
I replaced it with a Palmer Monicon XL, which I returned right away because of two instances of bad design: 1. no input gain, so no level matching possible between sources; and 2. when two buttons are pressed simultaneously, only one registers - so it's impossible to toggle seamlessly between sources, or speaker sets.

- I bought a Moog Minitaur and a Moog Sub37, only to realize that the Minitaur is just a stripped down (and bridled!) version of the Sub37. I can reproduce any sound of the MT with the S37 exactly.

I mix in the box for that same reason, but I use outboard gear for mastering. It's a good compromise.
I was considering the minitaur. I was under the impression that it does the two oscillator beating thing the taurus pedals do, only with software. I was under the impression that this sound stayed in the same interval as the notes changed, but that this is not possible with any other synth. This is what was supposed to make the minitaur ‘special’. I can get close to taurus with sub37, but I can’t get the two oscillators to beat in unison at the same rate as the notes changes.
Was I wrong?

Fredeke

I was considering the minitaur. I was under the impression that it does the two oscillator beating thing the taurus pedals do, only with software. I was under the impression that this sound stayed in the same interval as the notes changed, but that this is not possible with any other synth. This is what was supposed to make the minitaur ‘special’. I can get close to taurus with sub37, but I can’t get the two oscillators to beat in unison at the same rate as the notes changes.
Was I wrong?
I don't know about that, but after simultaneously owning a Sub37 and a Minitaur, I can say the Minitaur is a stripped-down Sub37 with a bridled range. I've done a systematic experiment: every sound from the Minitaur can be identically recreated on the Sub37 - and mean identically. So there was absolutely no point in buying both.

I was disappointed with all the monitor controllers I bought.

I considered all models under $600 (because $600 is already far too much for a monitor controller, in my opinion), and tried all with 3 inputs and 3 outputs, which is what I need.

Here's the chronological story of my disappointment:

- Mackie Big Knob Studio+ : was great but the knob started crackling after a year or two, and then it suddenly died on me right when the warranty was over. Since I wasn't going to reward them by buying the same one again, I tried then the...

- Palmer Monicon XL : great features and controls, but unusable because the clickless buttons are apparently read by a cpu that can only read one at a time - so it's impossible to mute one pair of speakers and activate another simultaneously. Same with inputs: No A/B compare is ever possible. Also it was impossible to adjust the input or output gains to get all sources and speakers at a consistent level. Completely useless.

- Behringer Control2USB : outstanding features! Everything you'd want is there. And it's twice cheaper than the second cheapest one. Of course there's a tradeoff, and that tradeoff is that components' quality is shit: The knob started crackling all the way after only a couple of weeks - and not a little. The sound is not very transparent (the distortion sounds good actually - too good for serious monitoring). I expect it to die in the next few months, but for such a cheap price, I don't mind. Mechanically, the connectors seem rather sturdy, so there's at least that. Anyway, that's what I'm stuck with.

Unless someone has a better suggestion?

PS: Regarding Mackie and Palmer monitor controllers, I must say the passive versions are excellent. Alas, I need the features of an active one for the studio.
I used to have two of them. And ended up with a strong feeling that that they do color the sound in a bad way. So the day when I plugged my cables out from RME straight to the speakers (after loud “woah!”, tbh it was taking pillow out from ears kind of experience) was the last day of any monitor controller on my desk. Then I found a wonderful RME Arc USB controller and never looked back. It is one of the best investment I made (both RME and Arc USB).

muziksculp

NI Maschine
Other than some interesting instagram posts and impressing the prospective clients with its lights it has not got much use here.
Same experience here, I have the Mk3, I couldn't really gel with it, or find a fluid workflow, or to integrate it into my DAW, even the sounds it offers always needed to be enhanced with plugins, they sounded quite flat when loaded without effecting them.

jononotbono

Luke Johnson
Steinberg MIDEX-8. They dropped driver support for it. It became just a piece of useless plastic.
Nah man. Steinberg offered unofficial driver years later because there were people at Steinberg that loved it. I loved my Midex 8 until I moved to Mac about 5 years ago when the drivers wouldn’t work for OSX. It forced me to buy a new midi unit (went for a Motu Express 128 which is great but cost a lot at the time) but at the time I was pissed I couldn’t use it anymore.

I kept the Midex 8 (still have it in my UK music lab) as I loved it so much as I didn’t want to throw it away. Thinking about it, when I see it again, I might attach a gold chain to it and wear it like a necklace in tribute. 😂