What's new

Gear You Regret Buying?

this could be a long list<G>!

AKG C3000 - the only microphone I've ever tried for which I can find no use.

Right! What is it about that mic? So harsh!
Many years ago I bought both the 3k and the FET 47. What an incredible difference!
The C3000 is about the only AKG mic that I've never liked.

2496 by any chance? I still have one in my slave, just in case! They were (and still are) good cards.
M-Audio made a wonderful series of affordable PCI cards. I had the little Omni Studio package, a Delta 66 card with a breakout box, 2 XLRs etc... It was fine for my needs, and the only reason I gave it up was the non-native PCI legacy bridge thing didn't work well on my new PC build, so I had to abandon it.

My first MIDI controller was an M-Audio Radium 49, and it was pretty bad. Ugly, poor build quality, and sticky keys with bad action. I think it was maybe only around $100, and I definitely got my money's worth out of it, but I frequently wished I'd gone with something more expensive. Once I upgraded to something better, I opened the Radium up and wired a full-size church organ pedalboard into it in place of the original keys, and then I was finally at peace with the situation.

Oooh, this thread is made for me. Thank You Robgb for starting it.

1) Roland V-Synth. Just bought it recently and the touch screen started acting funny. It's been with Roland now for almost 2 months waiting for a part. Tragic. I'm going to lose money on it when I sell it. I hates it I doesssssss.

2) Most of the other f*&king hardware synths I bought over the past 4 years trying to relive the glory days when Omnisphere does 90% of it and you don't have to wiggle midi and audio cables to coax the 'lectricity through them.

(I do love my Yamaha SY-99. You play a chord on that thing and your 3rd testicle drops.)

Hardware I love:

1) My trusty XP-80.
2) Ancient Teac 144 Portastudio - wrote more songs on this puppy than Michael Moore has chins.
3) An Octa-Plus Ludwig drum kit in cherry red wood with custom Tama hardware. (so sad I sold it, sounded great and was a bigger chick magnet than brad Pitt in Thelma and Louise)

M-Audio made a wonderful series of affordable PCI cards. I had the little Omni Studio package, a Delta 66 card with a breakout box, 2 XLRs etc... It was fine for my needs, and the only reason I gave it up was the non-native PCI legacy bridge thing didn't work well on my new PC build, so I had to abandon it.

I have 2 2496, and a 192. I have a Terratec EWX2496 that was running on Vista 64 beta drivers and even though it seems to work without flaws it would show up errors in W10 on a Gigabyte AM3 board. My M-Audio FW410 still works too.

PARIS was designed by Stephen St. Croix (or a name very close to that) who died way before his time. Very nice guy.

The fellow who reviewed it for Recording magazine when I was there was a Pro Tools fan, and he wasn't effusive. That required some political finesse!

Roland Juno-G synth. It had a defective LCD screen, which was a big issue for a lot of people who made the mistake of buying this, and the defect was never properly acknowledged or rectified.
Risk display problem is reason why i selled my Juno-G. btw my worst purchase what i never used anything is still Roland U-110 with few expansion cards.

Windows slave PC.
I'm such a Windows noob. I needed someone from a PC shop to get my network configured but now I can't go to internet with this PC anymore. Well, I can but this shredders my slave connection. If I then want to go back to slave mode I need to watch hours of YT videos of youngsters explaining network gibberish until they show the sub-sub-under-menu where I have to click strange settings.... oh I hate it! I also didn't find a solution to backup the whole system. It works now but the day the system drive crashes will be the end of this PC and all the useless time invested.
I had a MacMini as a slave before and I just had to switch it on. I know what to do on Mac. I wish I never bought a Windows machine! Next slave (if ever necessary) will be a Mac.

PARIS was designed by Stephen St. Croix (or a name very close to that) who died way before his time. Very nice guy.

The fellow who reviewed it for Recording magazine when I was there was a Pro Tools fan, and he wasn't effusive. That required some political finesse!

yes! Stephen St. Croix! Sounds like a made up character, but I remember him now. kind of brilliant as I recall. Ensoniq also made a lot of very cool stuff back then.

I'm such a Windows noob. I needed someone from a PC shop to get my network configured but now I can't go to internet with this PC anymore. Well, I can but this shredders my slave connection. If I then want to go back to slave mode I need to watch hours of YT videos of youngsters explaining network gibberish until they show the sub-sub-under-menu where I have to click strange settings.... oh I hate it! I also didn't find a solution to backup the whole system. It works now but the day the system drive crashes will be the end of this PC and all the useless time invested.
Everytime I adjust anything on my Slave PC, I pretty much waste the entire next day having to fix network issues. I remember wasting 3-4 ENTIRE DAYS trying to get Thunderbolt set up on it, and when I finally had my breakthrough moment (which came 2 weeks later, after I had given up), the transfer speeds were pathetic, so I just went on without it.

Yamaha A5000 sampler (used) somewhere around 2002. Right before Kontakt 2 was released with DtD option. :crying:
Now decorates my parents' attic with his friend the bulky SCSI CD-Rom reader.

Behringer Ultrafex 2 (exciter). Died in my arms. I had an electric shock while trying to fix it, so I threw it after a few memorable swears (in French, see Matrix movie).

Yamaha MDR 7509. Useless for mixing or mastering. Aging horribly quick.

Roland MA20 monitors. Horrible sound. The car radio of my late Renault 5 was sounding better.

Probably also a ridiculous amount of useless stompboxes.

Lava lamp.

The good thing is that I bought them long time ago.
Seems that my gear taste has since improved. Oh wait, no, that only my wallet.

My favorite good old gear (other than guitars & basses) :

MOTU 828 mk2 : my audio interface for years (now with lots of adapters). I'm currently thinking about buying better gear (UAD or MOTU) and keep it for extra converters / ADAT / filling the rack spaces.

Emagic MT4 : undying small cheap midi interface.

Access Virus B : created so many sounds on it. All lost after an update. Then I learned the power of midi dump.

Yamaha THR10 : amazing versatile piece of gear with clever 2 stereo channels (processed/dry) USB interface.

And of course, my MBPr late 2013.

A horrible little Casio DH-100 wind controller in the 1980s. It was shaped like a tiny sax, was really plasticky, and I bought it for a then-girlfriend who had expressed an interest in, ahem, blowing MIDI notes. Neither girlfriend or Casio worked out.

A Muse Receptor. A cool box but more for live use I think, well built, but not a really deep feature set and it crashed once and I had to send it back to get reset. A PC would have been a better choice but this was 15 years ago and the cult of Mac was strong.

Arturia Drumbrute. It takes up a lot of desk space, and while it has a cool interface, its drum sounds are somewhat uninspiring. (It's all synthesized, not sampled.) Plus I just bought it like five or six months ago, and now Arturia has come out with a more compact version, so I may not even be able to sell it for anything like what I bought it for.

(On the other hand, Arturia's Keystep and Beatstep Pro are little marvels, so... can't win 'em all.)

Top Bottom