What's new

Garritan CFX dynamic range!

prodigalson

So, I've had the Garritan CFX for quite a while and have used it fair amount and really liked it. I thought it was a really nice piano but struggled to get some additional power out of it that I felt was lacking.

...then, I discovered that the dynamic range function is set to 50% by DEFAULT!!!

I opened it up to 100% and it's like a whole different piano that can pack a punch.

I can't fathom why they'd limit the instrument to 50% of it's dynamic range by default.

OP
P

prodigalson

Because 50% is the natural dynamic range of the piano when they sampled it.
You access all dynamic layers at 50% dynamic range? How do u know?

It seems strange to refer to the full natural range of the samples as “50%” dynamic range. It seems more accurate to refer to that as 100% and allow an increase above to e.g. 150%.

To my ears, the samples I hear on playing fff are different samples than I was hearing before which led me to think increasing the dynamic range to 100% was allowing me to access dynamics layers I wasn’t hearing before

OP
P

prodigalson

I see, that makes sense though I think it would have been clearer to call the full natural dynamic range as recorded as 100%.

Interestingly, I do feel that increasing the knob to 75% or even 100% gives me similar control via my VPC-1 to playing an actual grand piano.

Reactions: CGR

keepitsimple

Do what you have to do, that's why the option is there. I know some players who like to raise the dynamic range above 50% on that piano. Start with 65% and see how that goes.

Reactions: CGR

newman

At PianoWorld, you will see several Garritan CFX users boost the "dynamic range" dial to 70%-90% range. That group is probably biased towards classical pianists but is useful information.

I find Garritan is more playable at say 80% but that probably varies by controller, player, use case. . .

Last edited:

I like music

Not that I need a piano library at the moment, but there are few libraries out there for which I hear such overwhelming praise as the Garritan CFX. Is it that good? Seems like everyone has it, and everyone loves it.

newman

Garritan CFX is pretty good. It plays well and is consistent. The samples are a bit noisy and certainly not dry. There are some memory optimization issues but they are what they are. The CFX Full offers combination of the close & ambient mics which sounds far nicer than the CFX Lite, which is only close mics IMHO.

There is a lot posted here and at PianoWorld that can give you more information.

constaneum

i'm loving Garritan CFX a lot. samples a bit noisy? I still find it alright. If you want drier sound, increase the close mic more. a pretty good piano library in overall. I really love the Solo Piano 2 and 3 presets.

CGR

Pianist, Composer & Arranger
The "noisy samples" people speak about don't concern me at all. I read that the developers at Garritan made a conscious decision to not de-noise the samples too heavily so as to preserve the tone more accurately, and it was a good call IMO.

You get a better sense of the natural acoustic space the piano was sampled in, and it doesn't have the 'airbrushed' sterile tone of many other sampled Grand pianos. I've never had a problem with noise build up on the Garritan CFX, and have used it on a number of production music tracks. Playing at very low velocities and cranking up the volume will reveal noise, but that's only natural really.

Top Bottom