What's new

Game of Thrones main title with tin whistle!

JN Music

Hello everyone, this is Joshua from Hong Kong. I've done some work for Chinese TV dramas and some Hong Kong films. Here's a personal project that I would like some feedback to, as I aim to improve my skills in mixing/arranging/orchestrating etc..

This is my personal take of the Game of Thrones main title. (I know it's been done so many times but bear with me.) I've added a slow section at the beginning with whistles (which requires heavy post-edit due to my lack of skills playing whistles.) I've also made some changes to the orchestration the first time the "chorus" section is heard. I try to emulate the feel of the original, and also blend in my additional instruments naturally. In this piece I used libraries from EastWest, 8dio and LA Drama Drums.

Anything good/bad about this piece? How can the mixing be improved? Feedback is welcome!

Cheers.

Last edited:

Rv5

Think it sounds ace! I really like the mix, though there could perhaps be a tad more control in the low-mids just to create a bit more space down there. Maybe soften the whistle by pulling out some of the harsher frequencies, but these are just subjective things! The use of the tinned whistle adds a little something! Percussion sounds great, think it would benefit from tweaking the low frequencies just to get a bit more space. What's happening at 1:46? Choir seems to have an e natural over an Ab major chord?

Really like it, thanks for sharing.

OP
JN Music

JN Music

Think it sounds ace! I really like the mix, though there could perhaps be a tad more control in the low-mids just to create a bit more space down there. Maybe soften the whistle by pulling out some of the harsher frequencies, but these are just subjective things! The use of the tinned whistle adds a little something! Percussion sounds great, think it would benefit from tweaking the low frequencies just to get a bit more space. What's happening at 1:46? Choir seems to have an e natural over an Ab major chord?

Really like it, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your comment! I'll definitely do some more EQ on the percussion as necessary. As for the choir note at 1'46", it's probably because of the inconsistent pitch accuracy of the sample library. I'll check to confirm though.

Thanks!

GdT

Hi Joshua. I have only listened on my home PC "grot box" mini speakers.
And I am also a tin whistle learner - I can mangle out a tune. The tin whistle is a lovely instrument.
It sounds just great in your mix. To me, perhaps a little too strident at times - those high notes can be very piercing.
Perhaps a little dynamic EQ to soften the tin whistle a little bit, but not too much else it may not cut through the orchestra. (Dynamic EQ rather than normal EQ because it only cuts in when the EQ range being cut gets up to a certain level. So it doesn't affect the sound at other times)
The note bends sound fantastic at around 1:40 - 1:42. They add a lot of emotion.

OP
JN Music

JN Music

Hi Joshua. I have only listened on my home PC "grot box" mini speakers.
And I am also a tin whistle learner - I can mangle out a tune. The tin whistle is a lovely instrument.
It sounds just great in your mix. To me, perhaps a little too strident at times - those high notes can be very piercing.
Perhaps a little dynamic EQ to soften the tin whistle a little bit, but not too much else it may not cut through the orchestra. (Dynamic EQ rather than normal EQ because it only cuts in when the EQ range being cut gets up to a certain level. So it doesn't affect the sound at other times)
The note bends sound fantastic at around 1:40 - 1:42. They add a lot of emotion.

Thanks for your great advice! I'm gonna try that out.

Update: Just trying out Tokyo Dawn Lab's Nova which is a free plug-in. Awesome experience.

JN

Last edited:
Top Bottom