Fun Thread on Orchestralist

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Pantonal, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Pantonal

Pantonal Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I recently saw an explanation (thanks to Steve Larsen) of the marking BTSOOI sometimes written into orchestra parts on orchestralist and thought it would be fun to share here.

And I quote
    "The story goes back to the days of Eugene Ormandy (although some insist it went back further to Stokowsky). Ormandy was always wanting “more sound, more sound” from the orchestra, which got translated into the vernacular as “Bow/Beat/Blow the s*** out of it”, depending on what section you were in. The reminder the players wrote into their parts was BTSOOI. I was told that, in rehearsals, when even more sound was demanded, principals would turn to the section and say, “Double BTSOOI here until letter D”, or something to that effect. I’m sure that Ormandy thought they were using some American slang or folk dialect.

BTSOOI, it was explained to me, was the secret of the fabled Philadelphia Sound. But I’ll leave that for others to argue."

To keep this on topic which libs most effectively capture or express this sentiment?

TGV, David Cuny, Luke W and 2 others like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Pantonal

Pantonal Member

Nov 9, 2017
    A few likes but no one answered the question. Which sample libraries are capable of BTSOOI?

3. lp59burst

lp59burst I'm just a "hobbyist"...

Sep 11, 2016
    SF Bay Area, USA
    Not sure what BTSOOI is really, or if that fits these... but, they can be played with "gusto"...

(in no particular order or preference... and I don't own them all, only MA1 & Albion III)

OT's MA1 & MA4
    SFA's Albion III Iceni
    8Dio Majestica
    Audio Imperia Jaeger

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  4. OP
    OP
    Pantonal

Pantonal Member

Nov 9, 2017
    If you read the first post you'll know what BTSOOI is.

5. lp59burst

lp59burst I'm just a "hobbyist"...

Sep 11, 2016
    SF Bay Area, USA
    I did read the first post :P and it doesn't really orchestrally quantify what BTSOOI is... is it ff or is it ff and then some, or... is it some arbitrary term of no real measure and therefore incomparable and that's why no one else responded? :sneaky: ;) :cool:

richardt4520 likes this.
  6. Sears Poncho

Sears Poncho Active Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Hackitissimo, Ferroce, Smackando, Smackitissimo. String players will understand btsooi very well.

7. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog Senior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
  8. Michael Antrum

Michael Antrum Only the good die young....

Nov 21, 2016
    Yorkshire, U.K.
    This is what BTSOOI looks like.....

avengersensemble.jpg

leon chevalier and richardt4520 like this.
  9. Sears Poncho

Sears Poncho Active Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Indeed. That's the Cleveland Orchestra, seriously.