What's new

(2021 UPDATE) My Second Year: From Medical Doctor to Pro Composer

zedmaster

Kevin Kuschel
NEW: My second year of Become A Pro Composer is over. Was it worth the huge struggle?

ORIGINAL POST:
I want to become a pro composer! In this video I am documenting my first year on the journey to become a professional media composer. Which samples libraries did I buy? What are my goals for 2021? Come and find out!

Last edited:
January is over, and I documented this month on my composer journey. Hope it provides value to you!

Let me know if you have any tips and tricks that can help me on my way. In my videos you will see that I don't know everything and I won't pretend to. I'm grateful for any helpful input and listen to your feedback :)

Great stuff! I’ll be following your journey! I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to put yourself out there (love your studio; goes to show what can be done without a 100K studio). I sense you have a real future in the industry.

Danke,
Manfred

🎻
FEBRUARY UPDATE of my journey to become a pro media composer
🎻

Featuring:
- A very successful video
- A hardware setback
- New VST's
... and more motivation than ever!

I want to become a pro composer! In this video I am documenting my first year on the journey to become a professional media composer. Which samples libraries did I buy? What are my goals for 2021? Come and find out!

Just watched this today and subscribed. Very engaging and looking forward to getting caught up to today’s video.

The March update of my documentation "Become A Pro Composer" is out. Hope this is useful and entertaining to you :)

Thanks to Alex Langenbach, Tom Hawk, Michael Maas and all the other great composers, developers and musicians that made March a great month for me! :)

Nice! Now we can learn almost everything from youtube! Thanks for sharing this page here. I believe that during these challenging times, we all need to find a hobby. Art has saved humanity so many times; it will save us even from the pandemic! Staying locked in the house for so long has driven me insane. Thank God I had my guitar and my husband by my side. I told him to play guitar, and he taught me to dance Ciao Bella dance. In general, I’m a big fan of YouTube tutorials; it is really fun to learn something new from scratch! So thanks for your input; it's really incredible what you're doing!

Last edited:
+++APRIL UPDATE OUT+++
🎻
Become A Pro Composer: April 2021 (NEW PC FOR REAL!!, Jobs, Libraries)
🎻

Subscribe to my Youtube channel and join me on my composer journey!

Great ideas here and, like me, from a completely unrelated career path. After 30+ years running various telecommunications businesses around the world, I got tired of the politics and back stabbing, and decided to go back to what I loved doing at school - making films and scoring the music.

Thanks for sharing your background here! :) Let's try to walk this way and enjoy it as much as we can despite setbacks and obstacles!

The May update on my series “Become A Pro Composer” is out, where I document my journey of becoming a professional media composer 💪

This month, we’ll discuss learning trailer music with Alex Pfeffer’s Trailer Music Course, traditional score analysis, Strezov Sampling’s Percussion Essentials X3M and the Elgato Stream Deck!:)

++ JUNE UPDATE ++

2021 HALFTIME! Do I have to brace for failure with my ambitious goals for my composer journey this year?

How are your composer goals for 2021 going so far?

“... due to my weekly YouTube schedule...”

I enjoy your videos, but this makes it seem like you’re not hitting some goals as strongly as you’d like because you’re producing these videos. Am I misunderstanding that?

While I’d hate to see you stop your videos, if it’s taking you away from creating music, I wonder if there’s a need to reclaim some time that you’re currently spending on videos for us. I know there’s value in the videos, but I’m suggesting a possible compromise with frequency for the rest of the year and see how that changes things for you.

This struck me only because I’ve been consumed with a goal lately (non-music) that has made it easy to prioritize my time and jettison things that I used to think were kind of important, but really weren’t when I got so focused.

Really love to follow you on your journey as it is so similar to mine. We do have so many goals in common (1000 subscribers within 2021, getting contacts in the business, making good videos but writing some music too, having a full time day job + family means doing YouTube and writing music at night...). Watching you keeps me motivated! Wish you all the best

“... due to my weekly YouTube schedule...”

I enjoy your videos, but this makes it seem like you’re not hitting some goals as strongly as you’d like because you’re producing these videos. Am I misunderstanding that?
Thank you for your considerate response, Mike! This question is not trivial for me to answer. What bigger goal am I striving towards? It's not really defined, yet. Do I want to become a full-time composer with project-based work? Do I want to scale the Youtube game and become a musical edutainer? No idea.

I'd say I am on a pleasant stroll through a cloudy territory and letting myself being magnetically dragged by the opportunities around me.

Like Bilbo said: "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." :)

For now, I think documenting my journey on Youtube is a central part of my development in this community. It helps me get my name out, opens opportunities and gives myself and others some value.

What I will try is combine the aspects I've been neglecting a bit (writing musical material and putting my new knowledge into practice) and combine them with my Youtube efforts, i.e. somehow making videos about my music. But hopefully still engaging and interesting. Definitely more of the "Let's Orchestrate" series. Perhaps a "Let's write a XXX track from scratch", etc. etc. I'll have to think about it, experiment and create a master plan! :D

Really love to follow you on your journey as it is so similar to mine. We do have so many goals in common (1000 subscribers within 2021, getting contacts in the business, making good videos but writing some music too, having a full time day job + family means doing YouTube and writing music at night...). Watching you keeps me motivated! Wish you all the best
Thanks so much, Martin! Yes, we are at a similar stage on our Youtube journey. Let's make the best of it and don't forget to enjoy the actual journey to our goals. Because once you reach a goal, it loses some of its intrinsic meaning and will be replaced by another one. And we don't want to end up as star-chasers (or moths attracted by the next shiny light...). :D Hope you will succeed in all you do!

The July update of my series "BECOME A PRO COMPOSER" is out. This month, I'll had to look into headphones as my trusty pair of Bose QC35 broke 😱. I can't wait for my new studio headphones to arrive.

Last edited:
HELLO from Korean government facility quarantine! Luckily I have WIFI here, so this is the August update of my series Become A Pro Composer! ✈️

Top Bottom