What's new

Fretless Bass...which one ?

Well... Greg's been 'promising' a big update for the OTS fretless since 2 1/2 years, now.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=139&t=478015

If he's coming through w/ it in the near future, would likely be worth waiting for, given the high level achieved w/ all of the 'Evolution' series to date. And I love the Cherry bass and Pear and my Hollowbody Blues - but the Jaco isn't quite there, IMO.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it but the Ilya Effimov sounds really good in the demo tracks, I've been eyeing that one for a while (and on sale now for 30% off). I have one of his fretted basses and it's really playable and sounds great, so hopefully the fretless is just a good.

I haven't tried it but the Ilya Effimov sounds really good in the demo tracks, I've been eyeing that one for a while (and on sale now for 30% off). I have one of his fretted basses and it's really playable and sounds great, so hopefully the fretless is just a good.
+1. I own it and it's really good.

I like the IE fretless for that more elastic, almost sinewy sound that bassists like Karn and Palladino are known for, and the OTS Jaco for a mellowed, more rounded tone.
Of course, a lot of that can depend on which plugin amp modelling and FX I'm using too...I've managed to get an almost fretless tone from MODO with judicious use of FX.

Ample Sounds just came out with one today. I haven't listened yet, so can't make any comments, as I don't buy bass libraries (I'm a bassist) and use MODO Bass for early mock-ups regardless of final intended bass choice (I can get pretty close to anything with that product).

For previous libraries, the Jaco library from Orange Tree Samples was pretty good, but I don't know how it holds up next to newer choices; just that it sounded more convincing to me than what is in Omnisphere (probably due to miking choices and the like, as well as source instrument and player).

Ample Sounds just came out with one today. I haven't listened yet, so can't make any comments, as I don't buy bass libraries (I'm a bassist) and use MODO Bass for early mock-ups regardless of final intended bass choice (I can get pretty close to anything with that product).

For previous libraries, the Jaco library from Orange Tree Samples was pretty good, but I don't know how it holds up next to newer choices; just that it sounded more convincing to me than what is in Omnisphere (probably due to miking choices and the like, as well as source instrument and player).

After hearing some official audio demos from amplesound website, I think I'll fall back to Ilya Efimov or OTS.

Hard to beat Trillian I suspect. It sounds so good to me though that I confess that I have not explored alternatives.

I guess it depends on what you need to do with it. I love Jaco by Orange Tree as long as it's not a solo instrument, gets the job done real nicely

I like the IE fretless for that more elastic, almost sinewy sound that bassists like Karn and Palladino are known for, and the OTS Jaco for a mellowed, more rounded tone.
Of course, a lot of that can depend on which plugin amp modelling and FX I'm using too...I've managed to get an almost fretless tone from MODO with judicious use of FX.

Yes, yes, yes . . . Jaco, Karn, Palladino, of course . . .

But which is best for getting Percy Jones' sound?!?!?!?!?!?

:emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar:

:emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar::emoji_guitar:

?!?!?!?!?!?

Top Bottom