What's new

Free software for adding music to videos?

dman007

Regarding adding music to video that already has dialogue and sfx, is there a good, free or inexpensive video editor that can do this job for different frame rates and export formats (e.g. for HD, for YouTube etc) ?

This one is complex, but therefore also full of professional options.
There's plenty of free tutorials online and if you learn a proper video editor you'll be in a much better place if you want to pursue a different career.
The free version differs some from the paid Studio version.
But nothing you'll miss if "adding music to video" is you main goal.

Best,
Anders

200% for free version of Da Vinci Resolve.
You can simply mix Audio and video tracks then export to multiple formats. But you can make really nice video cast with advanced transition and camera effects. Agree with @Anders Wall, there are plenty of tutorials.

I downloaded Resolve and have been trying it.

However, I've hit a few problems:

1. The audio no longer aligns with the video. It's aligned ok in Cubase on playback but not when I import the audio and put it on the timeline. The audio isn't right and it doesn't meet the hits.

2. I tried an export but it renders with no sound at all. Audio format selected etc.

3. After trying the export and exiting Resolve, I can no longer hear any sounds in Windows (e.g via browser or media player)

Audio interface is UAD Apollo Twin MkII Quad Thunderbolt

Any help/advice welcome.

For item 1. Check the project settings of Resolve before you import your files, particularly the frame rate. You need to have the same settings in both Cubase & Resolve.
2. I can only think of obvious things like making sure the audio isn't muted in the timeline. Try with different simple source material - import a video with sound and then render it - same result?
3. That's annoying and wierd. Check your sound settings and try changing to the native driver for your machine and listen with headphones etc.

I'm no expert, but that's what I would try.

For item 1. Check the project settings of Resolve before you import your files, particularly the frame rate. You need to have the same settings in both Cubase & Resolve.
2. I can only think of obvious things like making sure the audio isn't muted in the timeline. Try with different simple source material - import a video with sound and then render it - same result?
3. That's annoying and wierd. Check your sound settings and try changing to the native driver for your machine and listen with headphones etc.

I'm no expert, but that's what I would try.

1. The frame rate is 23.98 on the video, and that's what the Cubase project is set to.

There doesn't seem to be 23.98 in Resolve, though, only 23.976.

2. The original video has dialogue, too, on another audio track. It just renders video only. You can hear it all if you playback in Resolve, but the rendered video is silent.

3. It's definitely affecting the driver in some way after it's done an export. I can recreate it.

:-(

Doesn't cubase export directly to video like Logic?

I always prefer logic's export, even over FCPX/Resolve as it doesn't re-render the video so its very fast.

Cubase v10.5 does but it destroys the existing audio dialogue!

The video format is .mov 1080p HD @ 23.98fps.

I'm not allowed to touch the existing dialogue audio, so I can't use the extracted audio dialogue track Cubase creates.

I know in Logic you can make a selection on this at render time, and choose to keep the existing audio in the video, but not in Cubase (I'm on PC/Windows)

I tried doing a video export in Cubase and one in Resolve without the dialogue, and the timing is definitely out on the resolve one. This is such a pain. I can't stand problems like this they can become so time consuming. Why can't Cubase just do this???

I might have to try an alternative to Resolve, ideally something free, if there is one.

There's a load of stuff on the Resolve forum about missing audio - you are not alone but it's nearly always pilot error.
Simple causes are shown here:

Top Bottom