What's new

Free Library: African Gyl II released by Rast Sound

This is really well done! I almost didn't bother, as I have the Soniccouture Wassolou Balafon library (which is actually a Gyil vs. a standard Balafon), but this one has different articulations and is by a different luthier, so it has its own sound and is a nice complement to other Balafons.

For those who don't know, the Gyil (spelled here without the optional vowel, as "Gyl"), is a variant of the Balafon that usually has a concave surface and sort of a buzzer type addition (as with many Mbiras as well, and a fairly common feature in African percussion). This can help it cut through the mix at lower volumes, and also helps give greater definition to the lower notes.

It is always a nice surprise when a rare instrument like this is offered as a freebie!

This is really well done! I almost didn't bother, as I have the Soniccouture Wassolou Balafon library (which is actually a Gyil vs. a standard Balafon), but this one has different articulations and is by a different luthier, so it has its own sound and is a nice complement to other Balafons.

For those who don't know, the Gyil (spelled here without the optional vowel, as "Gyl"), is a variant of the Balafon that usually has a concave surface and sort of a buzzer type addition (as with many Mbiras as well, and a fairly common feature in African percussion). This can help it cut through the mix at lower volumes, and also helps give greater definition to the lower notes.

It is always a nice surprise when a rare instrument like this is offered as a freebie!
Thank u!

This is really well done! I almost didn't bother, as I have the Soniccouture Wassolou Balafon library

I have looked at the SC Wassolou Balafon and I am only partially impressed. Everything seems good except the Choked notes, which are much much too long in duration. Don't you agree? I wonder if a person could fix this in Kontakt?

I have looked at the SC Wassolou Balafon and I am only partially impressed. Everything seems good except the Choked notes, which are much much too long in duration. Don't you agree? I wonder if a person could fix this in Kontakt?

Hi,
yes, the decay time of the choked notes can be adjusted in Kontakt, under the hood, although of course it would not be quite the same as a natural decay.

For anyone who would like to try:

Open the expert editor, select all groups with the word Mute in them (there are 12), select “set edit flags for selected groups”, and adjust the Decay time in the Volume envelope to taste.

James

For anyone who would like to try:

Open the expert editor, select all groups with the word Mute in them (there are 12), select “set edit flags for selected groups”, and adjust the Decay time in the Volume envelope to taste.

UPDATE -- I thought I got your instructions right but it turns out I failed.... here's what I thought you meant, and at first it seemed to be working but I finally realized I'd made a mess of things:

Once instrument is loaded in Kontakt, click top left wrench icon button, that is Edit. Then make sure no Groups are selected, and then INDIVIDUALLY select all the Mute groups (Normal Over group cannot be deselected.) Choose "Set Edit flag for selected group(s)."

Then I tried to find Volume envelope, and I think I found it, but I couldn't change anything. So I closed the Editor and opened the Performance View and changed the Decay knob for Amplitude Envelope. To get the desired more realistic Mute or 'choke' effect, I changed the decay to 256 ms.

But that's not the Volume Envelope you meant, is it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom