What's new

Free DOOM Drone From The Most Gorgeous Synth Ever???

PaulieDC

1967 Bizzarrini (btw, don't own it, just love it)
the cost of restoration would have been 30k and with that would have brought the piano back to a resale value of £300....
I honestly was thinking those ranges when I saw it in the vid. It served people well for 120 years, it wasn't as if you plucked a CFX off the assembly line and launched it into the stratosphere with a punkin chucker (look THAT one up, we're weird in the States, lol!).

Lo28

I've been hammering away at this for nearly 14 years now, trying to get the ULTIMATE intimate piano sound. By using my trusty Schimmel, celeste pedal down 2 X M19s a KU100 and a duvet (high tog) , have a nailed it and could it be the best piano sound I've made since my LABS Soft Piano?

The Claustrophobic Piano is absolutely wonderful. It really is the piano equivalent of a warm blanket. Thanks Christian Henson for this marvelous gift on Piano Day!

jbuhler

the piano was headed for the tip watch the vid chaps!!! I had an old pleyel at my house was absolutely knackered (but nothing as bad as the gimp) the cost of restoration would have been 30k and with that would have brought the piano back to a resale value of £300.... three hundred!!! Not a great investment and the restorers who would have “lovingly” undertaken the work said “not fucking worth it mate the piano’s dead”.

my point above is the 15k I spent actually went into the pockets of people. And in so doing it also created educational content for A LOT of people (from what I can see about 100,000 people have watched this content in its various forms).

so the piano didn’t end up on a tip it went towards doing something more special than that. IMHO.
I mean, yes, but one reason the film is compelling is because we are both intensely curious while also recognizing the action is morally suspect. And you get at that in the re-edit where you ask the composer to cast the the destroyers as baddies. The film asks us to invest in the dignity of the instrument and to question the decision to drop it to satisfy the narcissistic urge of our curiosity.

That’s not to say I disapprove of the film or destroying the Gimp thus for the film. Indeed I think the new version of the film is extremely moving in its way. And it allowed the Gimp to end its life with real dignity, but in a sense only because the film raises the question of how does one properly lay a piano to rest. The sacrificial act of dropping the piano is not a general answer of course, nor is sampling it in this condition, which feels more like creating a death mask. It’s a difficult issue, with few good answers.

LamaRose

Gato Mighty!
Cool. Destroying a musical instrument is not funny though.
Pete Townshend and Laurel & Hardy say, "Hello!" Honestly, he could have at least offered Jackass the op to stand underneath and see who jumps first.

From my POV, I witness suffrage, of all types, on an almost daily occurrence... to me, that piano died a good death... each of us should be so lucky.

Last edited:

Dirtgrain

In the UK you often can't give old pianos away (I know a friend, who has been trying to give away an upright piano for some time), due to the cost of maintenance. Further once an upright has gone (I have been reliably told most don't last more than 100 years, which is still good going by today's standards), it is really beyond economical repair.
Same here in the US.

SupremeFist

the piano was headed for the tip watch the vid chaps!!! I had an old pleyel at my house was absolutely knackered (but nothing as bad as the gimp) the cost of restoration would have been 30k and with that would have brought the piano back to a resale value of £300.... three hundred!!! Not a great investment and the restorers who would have “lovingly” undertaken the work said “not fucking worth it mate the piano’s dead”.

my point above is the 15k I spent actually went into the pockets of people. And in so doing it also created educational content for A LOT of people (from what I can see about 100,000 people have watched this content in its various forms).

so the piano didn’t end up on a tip it went towards doing something more special than that. IMHO.
OK I overreacted. Apologies! ✌🏻

ScarletJerry

I LOVE the sound of the Claustrophobic Piano. Kudos to Christian and team! My only wish is that there was a way to control the mechanical noise level. I now that would be nearly impossible due to the location of the microphones, but just a wish on my part.

Scarlet Jerry

ScarletJerry

You can reduce the RT and Pedal noises?
Wow! How did I miss that? Thanks Christian. I knew that you can reduce the pedal noise, but I was focused on using the key control to adjust the volume of the sound relative to the fixed mechanical noise. OK - this is now my favorite piano. It has a simply beautiful tone.

Scarlet Jerry

AudioLoco

...and in my second video of today's pianoday I ask the quesion???

That's a proper Henson Top Gear episode for sample-heads! :)

The new piano is superb indeed! Thanks....
I have too a small upright Schimmel in my studio and it is such a warm and inspiring little instrument....

Just wanted to say I'm a big admirer. Not only do you make engaging videos, I think it's awesome that your bread and butter is making (great quality) VIs, but you give away libraries for free with Labs and run Pianobook with its trove of goodies.

rnieto

Musical Mongrel
Regarding NTSC standards, the frame count in North America is indeed 30 frames per second, but the actual speed is 29.97 fps for standard definition TV and 23.976 fps for high definition TV.

And because NTSC is such a convoluted system, we also deal with Drop Frame timecode, which means that we drop 2 frames from the frame count in every minute of footage (except every 10th minute!), to make it all compatible with the broadcast systems at the TV networks, so that a 52 minute show (60 minutes minus 8 minutes of commercials) is actually 52 minutes of timecode.

So much fun.

Anders Wall

55°36'48.6"N 13°07'14.2"E
Why does TV timecode start at 10:00:00:00 ???

I’ve always been told that it’s so that the robots (at the broadcasting houses) would avoid airing the wrong tape.
Or at least not an unedit tape/reel.
Re 50/60 or 25/30
It is because of the different electrical systems around the globe. Ours (Europe) are tuned to 50hz vs the 60hz other continents use. This divided by two equals 25 and 30.
I don’t have the proper lingo to try to explain how and why but it all dates back to when the Tv’s had a black and white picture and not all of us had one. The electronics in the tv wasn’t fast enough to paint the picture so clever persons came up with the idea to interlace two pictures giving us a non flickering picture without doubling the data rate.

I’m more than happy to be proven wrong.
Let’s go internet!

:)

Best,
/Anders

OP
christianhenson

christianhenson

Whilst I threw some dollar at this I think the basic advice offered up by Ben from Yellow Technology would certainly have stopped me throwing money down the drain in the past! Some really useful insights!

Top Bottom